Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need a new (er) truck...what do you think of this one?? >

Need a new (er) truck...what do you think of this one??

Notices

Need a new (er) truck...what do you think of this one??

Old 03-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

No, no sunburn. We went to the tanning booth before. I will put you down for two, glad you can make it. The weather was perfect. Just wish I had the boat there to blast around the island. The swells were 2-4 and they were nice and spread apart. Makes the lake look like a bathtub. Hey, you can buy mine for 14,000 We had a great time and took lots of pictures and videos so we will show them to you on the 4th. Good luck with the truck and make sure you take it to a garage, check the engine and drop the tran pan. That will tell the truth.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

How's the ride quality of a 3/4 compared to a half ton? Bear in mind this will be my everyday-drive-it-to-work vehicle. How about mileage?? I drive 27 miles one way every day, usually 6 days a week!!
Old 03-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

WF ,
Talk to PAkinair on this board , i got WAAAAAY more for my truck on a trade in. IT was a 96 Ram with over a 100k . Scott will do you right. 3k is a joke. you'd be better off selling out right.
Don't worry about the 3/4 ton ride ,I drive mine 25 miles one way to work every day and its fine.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:06 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

foul what kind fo ram are you trading in?
Old 03-29-2002, 08:50 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Heck Mike,

My daily driver is a Dodge 3500 turbo diesel. I have no problem with the ride, of course I do drive a T800 Kenworth. I haven't got any trouble towing my 211 Liberator , but you folks don't have to travel mountain passes like ours out here in the west. My problem is I need a larger boat to make the truck work harder.

Les
Old 03-29-2002, 09:06 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Honestly guys, I really don't think I need a 3/4 ton truck. I don't do steep grades here in Michigan, and the only time I see anything steep is going to LOTO and that's all highway grades. No problem. I've been towing with a 5800# GVWR half ton for 7 years now and have had NO problems. This truck is 6700# GVWR (if I remember right). My rig with fuel does not hit more than 6200# (fully loaded). I tow to LOTO with little fuel on board too.

And if I do get another boat in the future (I will, but when???) I am not going to go all that big. Aeven if I do, I'll just have to get a bigger truck at that time!!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:31 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Mike I think the vehicle you picked is good, I'm just messing with you. I do agree with the guys when they say go for more on your trade-in and on the cost of the new vehicle. My friend on 2 occasions has set a limit as to what he would pay (which was allot lower than the dealer would go to) and when not met, walked away. Both times they have called him back later that day and offered the truck for what he was willing to pay. You have to figure if they wont do it, what do you lose? If you still really want the truck you can pay the higher price.

Les
Old 03-29-2002, 11:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have the exact same drivetrain as you will have in that 1/2 Ton. My Truck is a 1996 2Dr 4x4 Tahoe. My Sonic is 7280# loaded to the gills. I am definately looking for more truck. I realize you are looking at pulling 1000# less than I, but go for a bigger truck. You can still get away with a 2500 and the 350 motor, but make sure it has the 4.10 gears. My truck is bounces a lot because of the SWB, but it is definately at its feasable towing limit. I say go for a bigger truck, because the 2500 is built better for working hard. Better suspension, better brakes, better frame. You wil be much safer going down the road. I am going to go new 2500HD CC Short Box 4x4 with the D/A for my next truck. I do not want to have to upgrade trucks when I upgrade boats, and with that truck, I do not have to worry.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:54 AM
Registered

Default Mike,what's up with the CHEVY?

Foul,
What in tarnation are you buying a bowtie for? Didn't the trusty Mopar treat you right? Take a look at the Marco website, Monique would be glad to help you find a great deal on a DODGE!!!!

http://www.marcoauto.com/htm/pre-list.htm

Don't make a big mistake, If you are up for a 28' in the future, I'd definately look at a 3/4 ton, with a stick, less stuff to break. A diesel is really the best, but I know $$$ are at work here! The gas mileage difference is insignificant if you get one with a 3.55(like mine). If you can go with an older (95-96) diesel, it would be in your price range, mine's a '95 and has been trouble free towing 14,000 lbs. If you want to take mine for a drive, to give you an idea, let me know and I can meet you in GR(I drive there everyday anyway).

Paul
Old 03-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Is Wally still selling his truck?

Quick Reply: Need a new (er) truck...what do you think of this one??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.