Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need a new (er) truck...what do you think of this one?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21203-need-new-er-truck-what-do-you-think-one.html)

Waterfoul 03-29-2002 06:23 PM

Need a new (er) truck...what do you think of this one??

Found a 1997 Chevy half ton, 4x4, Silverado ext. cab (no thrird door, no biggie to me), trailer package (hitch, factory wired, tranny cooler), 3.73 rear end, good tires, fold-a-cover, Duraliner bed liner, not a scratch, tan interior, metalic blue exterior, 5.7L Vortech, 41,750 miles. Dealer wants $16,995 for it. Trade in on my 94 Ram with 171,000+ miles is $3000. With tax and everything I'd be financing about $15,000 for this truck. Is it worth that much? My boat and trailer go about 6000# down the road so it will tow it easy.

I was thinking more like 16,400 for this truck. Sound more reasonable??

powerqrudy 03-29-2002 06:30 PM

I would beat them up on both sides.. your trade... I got 3500 for my 94 4x4 with 178,000 on it. Also if they are asking 16,995 hit them at 15,500 they mark them up at least 2500 ...OK but just my .02 worth... good luck.

G-Force 03-29-2002 06:31 PM

Well, at least you're on the right path in thinking of going with a Chevy!:D

MitchStellin 03-29-2002 06:53 PM

$3,000. Oh man mine must be worth nothing with 186,000. That sounds like a good price for 41,000 miles. I guess I will keep mine for a long time if not forever. I'm back and have not slept for 30 hours so I am about dead now.

29 OUTLAW 03-29-2002 06:55 PM

Kelley Blue Book private party resale is $15,100 for "good" condition - $16030 for "excellent" condition.

Waterfoul 03-29-2002 07:03 PM

Kelly Blue Book for dealer retail is about 19,100. Jeez!! Somebody is high! This Chevy is in Excellent shape. Not a scratch, really. Owned by an older gentleman.

Hey Mitch....sunburned??? When's the reception again?? Guess I could just look at the invite. Oh, and RSVP me as a yes for two. I'll probably forget to send the damn thing back!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

I think I am going to go in tomorrow and offer them 16,000 for theirs. My truck Kelly Blue Book trade in is 3995 in "fair" condition. Not sure my truck even qualifies as fair given the rusty doors.

Shorty 03-29-2002 07:07 PM

Hey foul,
I know you've found something that looks cool and you've got that I just gotta have it bug, but my .02 would be to shop around for a 3/4 ton. Might only be another grand or two. Might be able to find one for the same price. Depends on how big a hurry you're in. I'm not saying you gotta go all out for a diesel or anything, just the HD model. In the long run, you might be happier. I can't tell you how much I wish one of my friends would have told me that when I dropped some serious jack on a tricked out half ton.

I'm sure I'll catch some flack for saying this and here stories about pulling 50' yachts with an old halfton, but so far my experience has been that half ton pickups & offshore boat hobbies don't mix.

Shorty

Waterfoul 03-29-2002 07:14 PM

Shorty, I have a few problems with going to 3/4 ton. A. I dont need it. Don't plan on going so big that I can't tow with a half ton. Next boat MIGHT be 28 feet, and a lot newer (read: lighter) than what I have now. B. Won't fit in my garage. I have an old garage, short door (my dodge makes it in by half inch...have to make sure there's no snow build up at the entrance!!), and I have to touch the bumber to the front wall just to get the short door down. C. I am VERY limited as to how much I can afford a month at this stage in the financial game. They have a 3/4 on the lot, same year, a few more miles, and they want nearly 2000 more for it. I can't afford it. Not if I want to be able to put gas in my boat this summer!!!! But I do appreciate the advice. That's what friends are for.

Shorty 03-29-2002 07:22 PM

Well that's cool, sounds like you thought it all out. Mostly still kickin' myself because I can barely tow what I've got (the 29' Mach1 is 6000lbs dry + trailer) and if I get anything else, I'm screwed. Just trying to save you the same pickle I'm in.

See you Mem Day Bro! We'll have to check out your new rig then.

Wildfire 03-29-2002 07:23 PM

I agree with the 3/4 ton and that dealers mark them up about $2500. Shop it hard and you'll get the right one. I would try to buy at just over the wholesale or trade-in price.

I think the 3/4 is especially important. I just don't like pulling anything much with the lighter duty trucks. I also think I worry too much sometimes, but peace of mind is priceless. I justify it by thinking about how much of the total capacity is being used. 6000# is probably 80% or so. In a 3/4 it it is around 50%. Easier on the truck and you - mostly I like the bigger brakes and tougher trannies.

This all probably goes back to when a buddy blew out the rearend in his '95 Dodge 1/2 ton pulling my boat. The vent plugged, pressure built up until the seal blew out. Our tipoff was all the smoke from under the truck - scary to think we were on fire. Turned out that all of the diff oil had sprayed the muffler and got real hot, real fast. That truck had 7,000 miles. His wife was pissed.

If you are going to go for a mid-90's truck, take a look at Ford's. I am not trying to start a Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate, but Chevy has just now gotten very competitive in the 3/4 ton market.