Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   T2X on ebay! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/212144-t2x-ebay.html)

Biggus 07-01-2009 05:46 PM

T2X on ebay!

Check it out, T2X! Pretty cool!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercu...ssoriesQ5fGear

Magicfloat 07-01-2009 06:13 PM

The absolute coolest outboard ever.Wish I could afford it,my Switzer would love it, Maybe our resident T2x (Rich)will chime in here with some history of this engine's awesome history.

EXCESS ENERGY 07-01-2009 08:33 PM

Twister

In 1975 I rigged a brand new 16' ALLISON, with a brand new Twister 2x on it. That was a sweet rig, blue and white. Boat ran 92- 94 mph back then. Raced SV class a few races, until they dropped the class. I think the kilo record was held by Jim Hunt was 96.33 mph. Those were the days. Bob. By the way I still have a 9 3/4 x 17 3 blade round ear propeller if anyone needs it.

T2x 07-02-2009 07:29 AM

The T2x (Twister 2 X) was the very last in line 6 Mercury race engine...replacing the T2. Both engines featured 6 carbureters, but the "x" designation had more power throughout the RPM band and featured the first 12 inch (hydro short) center section since the end of Mercury's original "H" (Hydro) motors of two decades earlier. The center section also featured a manual screw adjustment that allowed up to 1 and 1/4 inches of up down travel as well as a single ram trim system...all quite revolutionary at the time. The powerhead to this day is one of the most attractive engines ever designed looking much like a Ferrari or Jaguarmulti-carbed 6 cylinder variant. With a rev max over 8000 and over 200 hp in the later versions the T2x was an awesome powerplant for the 250-300 lb tunnel hulls it was designed to race on. The fastest T2x speed recorded on a tunnel hull was about 120 set by Bobby Hering (You know him as "Bob" ....the prop guy) in 1974 or so. Bobby was probably the best set up man I ever saw....and a great driver, whose fame has been eclipsed by the CNC props he is now known for.

In any event the 99 cu.in. T2x was "obsoleted" by the more mundane 120 cu.in V-6 T3's and the inline era was over by 1976. That transition also heralded the end of much of the grass roots racing around the US as the increased speeds and costs wittled the field down from thousands of OPC racers worldwide to a maybe a hundred today.

T2x

glassdave 07-02-2009 08:39 AM

In the pic of the brochure what is the one on the bottom? looks like it says 650X?

T2x 07-02-2009 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2901715)
In the pic of the brochure what is the one on the bottom? looks like it says 650X?

Yes..That was Mercury's "Mod 50" motor...essentially half a T2x (3 cylinders and 49 cu in), it was Merc's answer to the OMC "Stinger" Mod 50 motors raced in the US and abroad. The Merc Mod 50 lacked the "loop charged" cross flow porting of the OMC in line and were not as competitive in class as the OMC's until Mercury snuck into the OPC Nationals one year with a hydro to race against the OMC factory tunnels. The little, kneel down 3 pointer, conceived by Fred Hauenstein, and driven by Lee Sutter, (another top Driver) kicked serious *ss on the course.

Sydwayz 07-02-2009 08:56 AM

Hmmmm, maybe for my Mini-Hawk?

PhantomChaos 07-02-2009 09:16 AM

LOL......no reserve, one bidder at $3,995 and 5 days to go?? I wonder who that first bidder is...... :D :D

jrz 07-02-2009 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2901334)
The absolute coolest outboard ever.Wish I could afford it,my Switzer would love it, Maybe our resident T2x (Rich)will chime in here with some history of this engine's awesome history.

Personally, I think the coolest outboard ever would be the six cylinder F class Merc looper. I would not know where to find a picture.

glassdave 07-02-2009 10:35 AM

What is looper or loop charging? just curious really.