Notices

Manatees

Old 04-01-2002, 07:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manatees

Just heard on the news that next year the state of Florida is going to do an official study to see if the Manatee needs to remain on the endangered species list.
It's about time!

Maybe Mean Dean can shed some light on this.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Iggy,
Here's what I found in the Orlando Senitel this morning. This is a going to be interesting!!
Espeically, the conversation about the what types of Boats are killing Manatees.
My oldest daughter and I went boating last Friday and we were just floating in the Banana River, swimming around, and all of a sudden, right next to us, 4-5 feet away, up comes a BIG Manatee for air. It startled both of us!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...me%2Dheadlines

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 04-01-2002 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You're right, it's going to get interesting.

I like the idea of the conference as long as it doesn't become a forum for the STMC to make a political statement.
.Quote from The Orlando Sentinal:
"Right now, regulations are being driven by lawsuits and emotion and we need to have it driven by science."
With the STMC having a loud voice, that's exactly what's happening.
Quote from The Orlando Sentinal:
"Ted Forsgren, executive director of the Coastal Conservation Association, a boaters' organization that has challenged boating regulations, looks forward to information the conference will offer."
The information he's looking forward to (if it comes from the STMC) may turn out to be Dis-information.

All we can do is watch and wait.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Iggy,
We'll, (CFW and Standing Watch, CCA) will be watching, BUT we won't be waiting if some non-sense comes out of this conference. These organizations will REACT, if the STM cCub tries to turn this conference into a platform for the Fear Mongering, Anti- Growth, Anti-Boating agenda they CONSTANTLY spew!
MD
Old 04-01-2002, 10:26 AM
supercrash

This sounds good...The only problem that might come up is-what is a safe number for the manatees-.........If this study is driven by science then we all need to accept the results no matter who's side they support....Dean..does manatee **** sink or float????..(just a question that has been doggin me)..

Old 04-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No chit!!!!!

Let's hope this will bring positive effects to our hobby.....
Old 04-01-2002, 11:10 AM
supercrash

And positive effects for the manatee......

Old 04-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And look @ this PROPAGANDA from the STM Club.

http://www.savethemanatee.org/tamanateeriver.htm

What kills me is how they list and spell out everything that each STM Club member is to put in their E-mail/letters. I guess they don't want their members to do any research on their own, typical tactic for the STM Club! This massive e-mail/letter mailing tactic is a QUIET KILLER, there are more and more Marinas closing in Fl. all the time, and if the STM Club is successful, their will be NO MORE NEW MARINAS BUILT, PERIOD! Guess what else they are trying to block right now, NO NEW BOAT RAMPS in the state of FL! See how this works, if they can't stop people from owning/buying boats, they will stop them from LAUNCHING their new boats!
MD
Old 04-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

They've got their high-priced lawers writing those letters for everyone to use.
I know it's like stacking the deck but that's the way it's done.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and the studies will provide the answers.

Quote from the STMC:
"The applicant proposes dredging a channel from the marina to the river, but the river itself cannot safely support the proposed boat traffic."
When they say the river can't support the traffic do they mean it can't handle any more boats?
Quote from the STMC:
"New marinas should be located in appropriate locations where adequate water depths exist."
I see, it's ok to build them but just not there. How far out in the Gulf would they have to go before it's deep enough?

Last edited by Iggy; 04-01-2002 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good info Guys! Thanks!

"New marinas should be located in appropriate locations where adequate water depths exist. Dredging a new channel for the marina is NOT acceptable"
It the the rationale in the above quote from the SMC were the case in years past, many of today's waterways, marinas and establishments that we are accustomed to would not be in existance...

There seems to be an ever-increasing trend in their literary matter which backs up the feelings that they are in fact an "Anti Boat Club"

Quick Reply: Manatees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.