What Engine To Build On Merlin BBC and Why

Notices

What Engine To Build On Merlin BBC and Why

Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Engine To Build On Merlin BBC and Why

Hey everone. I'm looking for some engine build advice - I have a Cig Cafe Racer powered by crate 509s built on Merlin II blocks (4.50" bore), Merlin III iron heads, etc. I blew an oil line on one at the start of the season, spun three bearings, and rebuilt it. The other one seized yesterday so it's time to make some decisions as I don't want to rebuild this one only to turn around in a year or two and build again for more power. I'm lookng to rebuild for some modest power gains and major reliability gains (I'm happy to stay with Bravos and don't feel the need to go over 80 so I'm not looking for silly power here).

My thought is to use my current blocks and increase displacement to 540 (just need to replace crank and pistons), go to better breathing aluminum heads, a better intake manifold, and perhaps a bigger carb (currently have 850s). I should mention that I have GIL exhaust.

Please hit me with any and all thoughts for building on these blocks. I'm open to going to 572 if that gets me where I need to be. I'm particularly interested in what carb, intake and heads folks have mated and what cam they have used for balanced performance and reliability. I am not locked into any particular brands and, like everyone, I'm on a bit of a budget these days.

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts!!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Registered

Go down and talk to Gellner, he'll point you in the right direction.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your bravo's will like 540's allot more than 572's, and I think 540's will put you around where you want to be for speed. when it comes to buying Cranks-Rods-Pistons, Don't Skimp, they are the foundation of how good your stuff is. (and how long your summer is)
Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks, guys. I've heard good things about Dean but I already have a shop that I like. I think you are right about 540 v. 572 but I am willing to listen. I also agree with the comment about skimping - I intend to do this the right way.

I'm particularly interested in what setups folks have actually used and what they like or wish they had done differently. Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 540 proven 540 packages. 650 HP/ 750 HP. If you already have a machine shop you work with that is cool. I can help get you the correct components and help save you money with that side of the build. Please feel free to call me anytime.

Dean Gellner