Looking for "SeaDoo for Dad" - 108' Sunseeker

Notices

Looking for "SeaDoo for Dad" - 108' Sunseeker

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
The owner is appalled by what happened, and is busy doing the right thing. Let this play out a little. Thanks.
wow, great news !
Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard the captain was either Fred Cecil or Big Scotty.

(sorry, couldn't resist - good to see the power of OSO in action once again!)
Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Registered

Default Boat & Crew

Typically for insurance purposes this 108' Sunseeker would need to be run by a qualified 100/500 TON Master and a Mate with a similar ticket that would double up as a Deckhand/Interior Crew Member. If this vessel was on Charter (Which a lot of these vessels are) so the owner can make money off of his investments to cover operating expenses etc, the insurance company would most definitely require a Captain to run the vessel.

My other thought on this situation is the following: I have been on a lot of Yachts with owners/charterers that wish to go fast. Hell, they are footing the bill for fuel, dockage expenses, etc. One of the guests may have asked the Captain to "Open" it up not realizing where they were. This happens rarely, but if you are Chartering a High Performance Vessel as this one is, there is a certain "Want" to go fast. This could be the case. In Most instances since the Captain is expecting a "Gracious" tip at the end of the charter or a bump in pay by the owner, their wishes are his command. I realize this is no excuse for the events that transpired, but think about it......If your boss, the one paying your salary (In this case the Captain probably makes a $1,000 a foot running this vessel, do the math...) tells you to do something a little out of the ordinary, what are you going to say? Regardless of the wake restrictions, etc....

Charters on this type of vessel can be in excess of $50K per week not including Fuel, Marina Expense and Tip.

Just thought I would enlighten the forum as to the structure of how these vessels typically operate.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM
jfm
Registered

Originally Posted by mojomarine
Typically for insurance purposes this 108' Sunseeker would need to be run by a qualified 100/500 TON Master and a Mate with a similar ticket that would double up as a Deckhand/Interior Crew Member. If this vessel was on Charter (Which a lot of these vessels are) so the owner can make money off of his investments to cover operating expenses etc, the insurance company would most definitely require a Captain to run the vessel.

My other thought on this situation is the following: I have been on a lot of Yachts with owners/charterers that wish to go fast. Hell, they are footing the bill for fuel, dockage expenses, etc. One of the guests may have asked the Captain to "Open" it up not realizing where they were. This happens rarely, but if you are Chartering a High Performance Vessel as this one is, there is a certain "Want" to go fast. This could be the case. In Most instances since the Captain is expecting a "Gracious" tip at the end of the charter or a bump in pay by the owner, their wishes are his command. I realize this is no excuse for the events that transpired, but think about it......If your boss, the one paying your salary (In this case the Captain probably makes a $1,000 a foot running this vessel, do the math...) tells you to do something a little out of the ordinary, what are you going to say? Regardless of the wake restrictions, etc....

Charters on this type of vessel can be in excess of $50K per week not including Fuel, Marina Expense and Tip.

Just thought I would enlighten the forum as to the structure of how these vessels typically operate.
Damage was caused either way and people injured. Who ever was behind the controls is responsible. I don't care what the cost and how much they are making.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by mojomarine

I wouldn't disagree, but it is up to the captain to say " Sure, but we need to be in a different area" I wouldn't speed through a school zone in my car because someone asked me to.
Now that being said, maybe the captain didn't know the area or speeds, however that being said, not knowing the area he should have used more caution.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Registered

Default THE BS Flag.....

I think you missed what I was saying. I didn't support the actions of the crew or the Helmsman of the vessel. My post was to give information as to how these vessels typically operate.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. The owner's name is not that hard to find.

2. The boat name can be anything anyone wants them to be as long as they are not using the name in a commercial means. Hence call it the Air Force One for all that it matters as long as the name does not generate $$ it is not commercially infringing.

3. The owner is not the person responsible. Yes I said that.

4. The Captain, the person with the licence to operate this or any yacht with that requires a Captains licence to operate is responsible for the actions of the vessel he is in "Command" of.

5. You'd better hurry. The owner has a new 135' Sunseeker on order.

6. There are a lot of 108' Sunseekers on the Eastern seaboard of the US. A lot is a relative term.

7. Put this in the US Coast Guards hands. They are not a local nor state organization and they are the only ones with the authority to go anywhere in the US and US waterways to investigate this matter.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Rik

Luv your replies/comments - straight to the point and accurate!

Katz
Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A licensed captain will use his common sense, not to lose his license. Most should slow down just for fisherman, not to rock them out of their boat.

This is an out right negligent act.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
HOLD IT! Right now, things point to the owner NOT being on board. Until it is known who was at the controls at the time, cut the guy some slack. Behind the scenes, there are people trying to make things right. Let them do their jobs.
Pretty amusing, as your post started theis whole thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.