Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Today's stupid move!!!!...... >

Today's stupid move!!!!......

Notices

Today's stupid move!!!!......

Old 03-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 and a half hour tow to Havasu. Boat made it to the launch ramp. Can you say Hot Wire. For the rest of tht trip everytimeI wanted to start the boat I got a little shock. Dont sweat it.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save the drive and hot wire it next time! Although it did give you a good excuse to "calm your nerves" later!! Everybody likes a little liquid relaxation!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did one almost as bad . I had dead batteries in the boat for about a month . Kept meaning to charge them . First time out after winter storage ,didn't even start it . It was my first boat ! Stupid ! Got the hole family in the boat including my mother . The whole day had been bad to start with and now we are late.
I back down the ramp (in a bad mood) .go to start it and the freakin thing is dead !! MY mother says ,"I told you to charge that thing the other day !"

I get in the truck and take off with them in the boat !! I go up the road a mile at about 50 mph to the marine store to buy batteries ! Get the batteries and drive back , cut off everyone and put it back in the water and go boating !

NO one said a word to me for hours !! You should have seen the looks on their faces going down the road in that boat !!
Old 03-30-2002, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

never happened to me but I've never took my keys out of the ignition, but win trying to load during a sudden storm at a crowded ramp my wife dropped the truck keys in the lake about 40 miles from home., luckily my buudy was there to give me a ride home, needless to say I got tanked on the way home
Old 03-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Another time I had a 40' Formula . I drive 2 hours ,put it in the water in a big ass hurry , never got in it or started it . Tied it to the dock right off the trailer . Had to go about 3 miles into town to park trailer since it was 48' long , Unhook and come back .

Well as I'm unhooking I see the plug in the door in the truck !! I fly through every red light and down these 35mph streets at about 80 mph ! All the while calling the marina . No one answers ! I get back to find the boat fine ........................

Later I find a friend had put other plugs in while I was in marina talking to the guy before launching . And my friend had left and not told me !

That will get the blood pumpin !!
Old 03-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

thats a good one boot.... i'll bet you were freekin.....i got a little jittery just reading that.....lol.....
Old 03-30-2002, 09:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hmm, Maybe thats why I carry a spare ignition switch in the boat.
Ya just never know when something is going to happen.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Registered

I did the same thing boot. I launch the boat, have to drive across the street to park. Walk back so i don't sweat and everyone is around the boat. The bilge is running like mad. Water is almost to the batteries. Plug in the truck. I had to run to the truck, drive to the ramp,cut everyone off. There is no time left, i jump in the water clothed, find the plug hole 4 feet under, get it in and have to drain the boat on the trailer. Man water goes out alot slower than in. The water was almost over the batteries. This was a 33 foot boat and it had 50 gallons of water in it.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Registered

Been there ....first boat I had dad was trying to start it old DUO with a 50merc outboard. It was the fist day on vacation up north(Michigan) my sister (12 at the time) kept trying to tell the old man about the water comming it ...shut up!!!! Being that he was using the Choke like a primer...needless to say it took 10 minutes to start he figured it out when the water was up to the front of those old back to back style seats.... OH yea forgot the plug!!!!! DOOO
Old 03-30-2002, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

First time out last year --- 2 key boat ---only have one key-other on work bench in garage ,1 hour away. Hard wire the run side of ign. switch and pull the kill switch. Start engine with kill switch installed then remove key and start other engine normally. Pull kill switch to kill engine.

Quick Reply: Today's stupid move!!!!......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.