Notices

Raw Water Pump ?

Old 03-30-2002, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raw Water Pump ?

I posted this in the tech forum, but I haven't had any responses so I will ask it here. I need to know which post you hook your incoming water hose to, the top or bottom? It's been so long since I disconnected them, I can't remember. My pump is a 96 model and it 90's towards the motor instead of running straight back, which I don't think makes a difference. I have it connected to the top now, but I wanted to check before I started the motor.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:27 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Check the direction of the fins and you will know which way the water pumps. Off hand I do not know. Did you buy a HTM?
Old 03-31-2002, 07:26 AM
Registered

mine comes in on the top inlet, but it obviously makes a difference whether you engine is LH rotation like my 2000 HP 500's, or Right Hand. I think most are LH. How about hooking up your flush fitting to the outdrive , turn on the water , then turn the pulley the direction of engine rotation, and see if water comes out the bottom fitting?
Paul
Old 03-31-2002, 08:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

For standard rotation, in the top and out the bottom. If you want to make sure, it's written on the back of the impeller housing..
Old 03-31-2002, 10:04 AM
Registered

Thanks guys.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

My engine is a 2000 454mag it has left hand rotation but the steel lined hose from the drive goes to the bottom fitting on my setup{ pump upside down} so look and be sure, I just put a kit in mine and ran it on the hose for a while, now all i need is some sunshine
Old 03-31-2002, 11:02 AM
djm
Registered

H2Xmark,

We have the same boat and motor. My impeller is shot, how difficult was the install? Thanks. Dan
Old 03-31-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

hey DJM, it was really easier than I thought it would be, remove belt, remove 13mm nuts on seapump{they have paint on them so they fit tight on the socket} to Engine support bracket, I did this then droped the pump down, then it is a little easier to get to hose clamps{it is tight with the fuel filter near the pump}the hardest part of the job was getting the hoses off, you have the suction line from the drive that has a steel mesh layer to keep the hose from collapsing, and the other hose looks like just a rubber hose, get the pump off and disassemble, the next hardest part was getting the new rubber impellor in the housing, make sure you lube it to prevent a dry start{I used transmission assembly lube} the housing will only bolt together one way the bolts are all offset, so you dont have to mark the rear to the front
make sure and change all the orings in the pump, big one goes inbetween housing and plate, and small oring goes between front part of pump{the end with the pulley} and the metal plate
good luck with it if you can install sparkplugs you can install this kit, I paid 77.00 from a mercury dealer for the pump kit came with orings, impellor, plate, housing, / only thing extra you might do is mark the hoses with tape or paint to make sure you know which one goes were, let me know how it turned out
. Mark the mercury # for the kit is 807151A14