Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Catalina Island Run....First Timer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/212665-catalina-island-run-first-timer.html)

samwhite1 07-09-2009 05:55 PM

Catalina Island Run....First Timer

So I am a lake junkie but want to make a trip out to the Pacific Coast and run the 25 miles stretch out to Catalina Island in my 25' Checkmate Convincor. She runs like a banshee but should I worry about high seas, bad weather and navigation? On the lake I can pretty much out run any storm- in the Pacific O, I'm not so sure......

SDFever 07-09-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by samwhite1 (Post 2906784)
So I am a lake junkie but want to make a trip out to the Pacific Coast and run the 25 miles stretch out to Catalina Island in my 25' Checkmate Convincor. She runs like a banshee but should I worry about high seas, bad weather and navigation? On the lake I can pretty much out run any storm- in the Pacific O, I'm not so sure......

Launch from Long Beach. Bring a known good radio that you've tested some range. Make sure your lights work and the boat is in ship shape. Have a good GPS and some blankets tucked away in a dry place for fam.

You'll love it.

Oh yeah, leave early in the morning and don't put anything in the boat you don't need in terms of weight.

Racerngr1 07-09-2009 07:27 PM

I like to leave in the mid morning, get there, then head back before too long (within the hour). I have been over there once, went to lunch on the island and when we were done it was rougher then a mofo. It took me 30 minutes to get there and 1:30 to get back.

PhantomChaos 07-09-2009 11:36 PM

You should be fine out there! Go to www.SCOPEinfo.com and connect up with some others. It will be a busy weekend as this is the Catalina Ski Race this weekend (Saturday) from Long Beach to Catalina Island and back, and also the Rum Run Race doing the same.....! We'll be out there!

PhantomChaos 07-10-2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by samwhite1 (Post 2906784)

Make sure you have a VHF radio too, and all the stuff required by the coast guard (compass, life vests, flares, horn, blah blah blah)!!!!

Schweeng 07-10-2009 12:06 PM

Be preparred to get bitten.... the lakes got nothing on the ocean....

Nort...I remember you writing the same for me 8 years ago....

Are you going to be in LB tonight...if so, might just see ya.

PhantomChaos 07-10-2009 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Schweeng (Post 2907308)
Be preparred to get bitten.... the lakes got nothing on the ocean....

Nort...I remember you writing the same for me 8 years ago....

Are you going to be in LB tonight...if so, might just see ya.

Hi Chris!!! I think we are coming down tomorrow.....but not sure yet, still might shweeng down there tonight. :)

Here is a map of the water conditions! This will change every hour or so. Long Beach is just under the word "Los Angeles" and Catalina is the first island to the down and left.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/socal_now.gif

Uncle Dave 07-10-2009 01:58 PM

Go with one of us the first time-

Phantom or Schweeng would be superb traveling companions.

I usually check Wunderground.com and if it looks bad- dont go.

try to take a first trip in no more than 2-3 with 10knots- those are averages that are usually less in the morning and worse form 1-6 then good again from 6-midnight.

Even that can be as nasty as bad afternoon chop at havi, or other big lakes.

Bring all the CG needed stuff (although the CG doenst require a radio?!??!?) bring one - I always bring 2 and a a back up GPS.

UD

Schweeng 07-10-2009 03:05 PM

Well that would be Phantabulous if I see you tonight.

Are you the turn boat this year?

samwhite1 07-10-2009 03:09 PM

Awesome feedback- Great Forum! This is a really good group here. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm shooting for mid-August and will put a shout out when I head down that way.
Thanks guys!