Catalina Island Run....First Timer >

Catalina Island Run....First Timer

Notices

Catalina Island Run....First Timer

Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalina Island Run....First Timer

So I am a lake junkie but want to make a trip out to the Pacific Coast and run the 25 miles stretch out to Catalina Island in my 25' Checkmate Convincor. She runs like a banshee but should I worry about high seas, bad weather and navigation? On the lake I can pretty much out run any storm- in the Pacific O, I'm not so sure......
Old 07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by samwhite1
So I am a lake junkie but want to make a trip out to the Pacific Coast and run the 25 miles stretch out to Catalina Island in my 25' Checkmate Convincor. She runs like a banshee but should I worry about high seas, bad weather and navigation? On the lake I can pretty much out run any storm- in the Pacific O, I'm not so sure......
Launch from Long Beach. Bring a known good radio that you've tested some range. Make sure your lights work and the boat is in ship shape. Have a good GPS and some blankets tucked away in a dry place for fam.

You'll love it.

Oh yeah, leave early in the morning and don't put anything in the boat you don't need in terms of weight.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered

I like to leave in the mid morning, get there, then head back before too long (within the hour). I have been over there once, went to lunch on the island and when we were done it was rougher then a mofo. It took me 30 minutes to get there and 1:30 to get back.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Registered

You should be fine out there! Go to www.SCOPEinfo.com and connect up with some others. It will be a busy weekend as this is the Catalina Ski Race this weekend (Saturday) from Long Beach to Catalina Island and back, and also the Rum Run Race doing the same.....! We'll be out there!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by samwhite1

Make sure you have a VHF radio too, and all the stuff required by the coast guard (compass, life vests, flares, horn, blah blah blah)!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Be preparred to get bitten.... the lakes got nothing on the ocean....

Nort...I remember you writing the same for me 8 years ago....

Are you going to be in LB tonight...if so, might just see ya.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Schweeng
Be preparred to get bitten.... the lakes got nothing on the ocean....

Nort...I remember you writing the same for me 8 years ago....

Are you going to be in LB tonight...if so, might just see ya.
Hi Chris!!! I think we are coming down tomorrow.....but not sure yet, still might shweeng down there tonight.

Here is a map of the water conditions! This will change every hour or so. Long Beach is just under the word "Los Angeles" and Catalina is the first island to the down and left.

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 07-10-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with one of us the first time-

Phantom or Schweeng would be superb traveling companions.

I usually check Wunderground.com and if it looks bad- dont go.

try to take a first trip in no more than 2-3 with 10knots- those are averages that are usually less in the morning and worse form 1-6 then good again from 6-midnight.

Even that can be as nasty as bad afternoon chop at havi, or other big lakes.

Bring all the CG needed stuff (although the CG doenst require a radio?!??!?) bring one - I always bring 2 and a a back up GPS.

UD
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well that would be Phantabulous if I see you tonight.

Are you the turn boat this year?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Registered

Awesome feedback- Great Forum! This is a really good group here. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm shooting for mid-August and will put a shout out when I head down that way.
Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.