Notices

Coast Guard Question

Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Coast Guard Question

So this weekend Amanda and I were out boating. The US coast guard was doing safety checks in the miserable mile (slow speed zone), They pulled over every boat heading in from the gulf.

When they came over to my boat I already had the engines shut off and was waiting for them. Before I knew what happened two coast guard officers leaped from thier boat onto mine with out even asking, right onto my rear race hatch almost breaking it with there army style boot. I asked them nicely to not step there and they proceeded to jump onto the rear seats with there boots on. Foot prints every where. I asked them to please becareful of damaging my boat and they just laughed.

They checked for all the safety items (Life jackets, Flares.... Ect). I passed not a big deal, right......... As the go to leave the boat one of the officers ends up kicking my lexan windsheild so hard I thought he broke it right off the boat. I yelled at him and said please be careful! He turns around and smiles. Luckly, when I got home I was able to buff out all the boot marks on the hatch and clean the rear seat.

My question is this. If an officer is doing a safety stop and damages something on the boat (seats, windshield, paint, ect) is he responsible for paying for the damages? If he is not responsible what I am suppose to do to keep my boat protected? Do I have any rights at this point? Remember it is a normal saftey stop, not like I was breaking the law, that would be a whole different issue.

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 07-13-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds about ridiculous. I would have been ticked. There is just no sense in people acting that way, "job to do" or whatever, regardless.

I would HOPE in the case they did actually damage something they would be held accountable.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you do have the right to talk to there CO...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Although I'm not sure of the process there is a way to file a claim against the USCG. Many years ago they were towing me in and as we went through a marina entrance my boat was bounced off the seawall. Once we tied up they asked me if I wanted to file a claim, after inspecting the boat the damage was minor cosmetic so I didn't file.
I've also heard of damage from a boarding and the boat owner filing a claim.
ed
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can file a claim against them. Next time get the guys names and call up their CO. Most of those guys are great you found the dink weed in the bunch.

When I used to go into Boston Habor they would always stop me for safty checks. Some times going into the harbor then again on my way out. It got to the point that I started to see the same guys. When they came up and wanted to tie up to me with thier concrete boat and I said no way because I did not want them to damage my boat they were always cool about it. They just asked me to show them everything. One day when they wanted to baoard me and it was calm I asked them if they would mind taking off their boots and they were again cool and just asked me to show them what they wanted to see. It does suck getting stopped all the time but they are doing a job and when they save your butt then it all seems ok. In this case I hope you got his name and file a complaint.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't they usually ask if they can board? Why did they board for just a life jacket and fire ext safety ck?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Don't they usually ask if they can board? Why did they board for just a life jacket and fire ext safety ck?
They have always asked me, in fact they have always asked me if they can come along side.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
That is what I was wondering. They had one Coast Guard boat with 12 0r 14 officers on it. And they dropped off two officers on every boat heading in land to do safety checks, when the safety checks were done they picked up the officers and then dropped them off at another boat.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Coast Guard does not have to ask permission to come aboard. A U.S. Flagged or registered vessel can be boarded anywhere anytime by the Coast Guard unless the boat is within the territorial seas of another country upon which a statement of no objection can and will be obtained to enter and board the boat.

All boarding teams should carry Standard Form 95 (SF 95) These are to be given to anyone claiming damage as a result of Coast Guard personel being aboard. The filing procedures are found on the back of the form. Addtional information can be found in 33 CFR part 25......
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got the Azzhat in the boat, most are polite and ask about boarding. He should have given you a paper, stating they boarded you and did a safety check, if so you can track the chit head down and file a complaint. I had a run in with the Coasties 2 years ago in VA beach, everything was fine, until one of them said I looked nervous, I responded " I don't like having a 19 yr old pointing a 50 cal at me" told me it wasn't loaded, I responded, if I had a gun pointed at you I am sure you would know its not loaded, RIGHT!! They got the idea, and politely unpointed the gun and left.