Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking at a new boat hauler >

Looking at a new boat hauler

Notices

Looking at a new boat hauler

Old 07-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, check out www.cumminsforum.com I am a member there. They have a section that is dedicated to the truck you are talking about and they talk about the good and the bad. Spend 30 minutes there and all your questions will be answered.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
Dude, check out www.cumminsforum.com I am a member there. They have a section that is dedicated to the truck you are talking about and they talk about the good and the bad. Spend 30 minutes there and all your questions will be answered.
Been there all today reading. Seems like everyone says to do the delete or unplug the EGR. Won't the delete void the warranty? I can't afford to have my truck in the shop all the time and sure as hell can't afford to void my warranty and have a turbo go out.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Been there all today reading. Seems like everyone says to do the delete or unplug the EGR. Won't the delete void the warranty? I can't afford to have my truck in the shop all the time and sure as hell can't afford to void my warranty and have a turbo go out.
I can only give you my experiences with the truck. It has been in the shop for the smog program updates and to replace the turbo under warranty. It was replaced by the dealer as a recall not because of any issues that I had. Other than that no problems. I have friends with Fords and Chevy diesels that have had just as much or more problems, and more major problems including trans and pollution problems than any I have had. The truck has 90K and it is still very solid, no rattles, and drives excellent. I just replaced the tires and front brakes at 85K.
I have not done the delete or unplugged the egr.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

i'm not sure I would do that vegetable oil deal...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 08 3500 laramie. I love the truck but have had my issues.

Pros: 1.) pulls my 36' apache better than my 05 3500 did (be sure to put a titan 18k lb hitch on)
2.) Exhaust brake is great because I tow with it everyday
3.) Nice turning radius and overall easy to maneuver in the city
4.) Love the bells and whistles (nav., sunroof, pop out step ups etc.)
5.) Don't have to clean exhaust soot off of back bumper or front of boat after a long haul.

Cons: 1.) Fuel economy
2.) Warranty issues (turbo replaced @ 10,000 miles, had a transmission leak, dash shield recall, currently have a brake fluid leak that have not wasted a day to mess with at dealer yet

Great truck and I am looking forward to getting out of warranty so I can do the deletes. When my turbo started throwing codes every day I was glad I had a warranty even if it did take them a week to fix it and I had rent a truck because my rental vehicle was an F***in mini van.

Lastly, I can tell in my truck that if it wasn't for the regens that my fuel economy pulling utility trailers around town would be more like 18-19mpg rather thatn the 13-14mpg that I am getting. If you watch the overhead lie-ometer you can see the fuel economy hit the crapper when the regen process kicks in. I am up to 19,000miles now and it appears the fuel economy has improved slightly as most diesels do.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gerritm
I can only give you my experiences with the truck. It has been in the shop for the smog program updates and to replace the turbo under warranty. It was replaced by the dealer as a recall not because of any issues that I had. Other than that no problems. I have friends with Fords and Chevy diesels that have had just as much or more problems, and more major problems including trans and pollution problems than any I have had. The truck has 90K and it is still very solid, no rattles, and drives excellent. I just replaced the tires and front brakes at 85K.
I have not done the delete or unplugged the egr.
Thanks Gerrit. I guess I am just reading to much ****.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to pass, let me know about it. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new tow rig.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Banned

My white 2006 dually is for sale. 62,000 miles, never a problem with anything on it. Motor is stock except for True Flow air filter system and Fluidampr. 3.73 rear end and 6speed G56 manual transmission. 2wd. am/fm/cd/sirius, LineX bedliner, Popup gooseneck hitch, 5th wheel mounting rails available n/c.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I don't know anyone that has one of those engines that likes it. Great power, but they are always in the shop for emissions, or they won't run right. Soemthing like that. It isn't the mechanical parts, it has something to do with the emissions (rap. Buy an 04 with low miles. That was the last year of the bulletproof truck. Get the first generatio HO engine. The late production model o4's made more power, but the milage was on it's way down.

If you decide to get it, make sure it has a good warranty.

Remember that I sold these turds for 3 years right around the time that they started screwing them up. Can't go wrong with a low milage early production 2004.

Good luck
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I don't know anyone that has one of those engines that likes it. Great power, but they are always in the shop for emissions, or they won't run right. Soemthing like that. It isn't the mechanical parts, it has something to do with the emissions (rap. Buy an 04 with low miles. That was the last year of the bulletproof truck. Get the first generatio HO engine. The late production model o4's made more power, but the milage was on it's way down.

If you decide to get it, make sure it has a good warranty.

Remember that I sold these turds for 3 years right around the time that they started screwing them up. Can't go wrong with a low milage early production 2004.

Good luck
You know me and I love my truck and motor......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.