Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking at a new boat hauler (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/212943-looking-new-boat-hauler.html)

BY U BOY 07-14-2009 10:29 AM

Looking at a new boat hauler

Anyone know of any problems with the 6.7L Cummins Diesel? I'm looking at a truck with 13K miles on it and just want to make sure there are no issues with that engine.

Catmando 07-14-2009 02:21 PM

The 5.9 is basically a bored and stroked 5.9 so in that regard it's pretty much bulletproof. The only gripes I hear are about the DPF and EGR systems which have really hurt fuel mileage. We just have to hope that the engineers can come up with better solutions to the emissions problem than those two.

Check these forums out. If there are any other gripes they'll be covered here;

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

I see 20-22mpg non-towing hwy mileage with my 2006 5.9. There's almost no hope a 6.7 will ever match those numbers. If I had a 6.7 I would put a vegetable oil fuel system on it to reduce fuel costs. There is a Golden Fuel Systems installer in Houston. Give Bud a call and discuss it;

http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/ser...ocation_TX.php

joew. 07-14-2009 03:49 PM

You don't need that much truck to haul around a 20' scarab and a baby:evilb:

BY U BOY 07-14-2009 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by joew. (Post 2910034)
You don't need that much truck to haul around a 20' scarab and a baby:evilb:

Just making sure I don't have to upgrade both when the new boat comes,whenever that is:coolcowboy:

gerritm 07-14-2009 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2909739)
Anyone know of any problems with the 6.7L Cummins Diesel? I'm looking at a truck with 13K miles on it and just want to make sure there are no issues with that engine.

Patrick, I have that engine in my '07 Dodge 2500 4x4. Very solid, good running, powerful engine. Has a built in exhaust brake and tow mode in the tranny. Pulls my 12k lbs. Fountain with no problems. I am going on 90K. Run it at 80 with the boat and trailer and get 11-12 mpg. I get 17-18 around town.It has gone to Destin several times and a couple of times to Lake Travis. The only problem as Cat said is with the smoke/soot cannister in the pollution system. I spend a lot of time on the highway so it really does not affect mine, but if you run them in the city and they never get a chance to burn off or regenerate, it will tell you to go run it on the highway to get it to clean itself. I have had it in the dealer several times for updates to the ecm and to clean out the O2 sensor. All have been covered under warranty and the only thing it has affected is the check engine light comes on. Since the last trip to the dealer for the updates I have had no problems. It is also quite a bit quieter than the Ford's or Chevy's. The dealer/service manager said to have all of that system removed when I get out of warranty and put a chip in it and the fuel mileage will go up quit a bit. Any other questions, let me know. I am very happy with my truck.

BY U BOY 07-14-2009 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by gerritm (Post 2910081)
Patrick, I have that engine in my '07 Dodge 2500 4x4. Very solid, good running, powerful engine. Has a built in exhaust brake and tow mode in the tranny. Pulls my 12k lbs. Fountain with no problems. I am going on 90K. Run it at 80 with the boat and trailer and get 11-12 mpg. I get 17-18 around town.It has gone to Destin several times and a couple of times to Lake Travis. The only problem as Cat said is with the smoke/soot cannister in the pollution system. I spend a lot of time on the highway so it really does not affect mine, but if you run them in the city and they never get a chance to burn off or regenerate, it will tell you to go run it on the highway to get it to clean itself. I have had it in the dealer several times for updates to the ecm and to clean out the O2 sensor. All have been covered under warranty and the only thing it has affected is the check engine light comes on. Since the last trip to the dealer for the updates I have had no problems. It is also quite a bit quieter than the Ford's or Chevy's. The dealer/service manager said to have all of that system removed when I get out of warranty and put a chip in it and the fuel mileage will go up quit a bit. Any other questions, let me know. I am very happy with my truck.

Thanks Gerrit. I have been reading up on everything and it seems everyone says to do the deletes.Also the other was about the turbo. This truck only has 13K miles on it so I don't think I will do anything that would void the warranty just yet:evilb: The numbers look good so I think I will pull the trigger in the morning.

tomtbone1993 07-14-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by gerritm (Post 2910081)

how come you didn't make the Conroe run this past weekend?? You afraid of fresh water??

gerritm 07-15-2009 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 (Post 2910140)
how come you didn't make the Conroe run this past weekend?? You afraid of fresh water??

Too lazy to pull the boat out and put it on the trailer. :eek:Actually my daughter is getting married next month. She lives on Oahu Hawaii. Very expensive. We have been kind of laying low on expenses. My wife lost her job about 6 months ago and she has just started back to work. I heard it was a good one. My buddy took second in the Calcutta. His boat was Service Me, a 42' Fountain.

gerritm 07-15-2009 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2910125)
Thanks Gerrit. I have been reading up on everything and it seems everyone says to do the deletes.Also the other was about the turbo. This truck only has 13K miles on it so I don't think I will do anything that would void the warranty just yet:evilb: The numbers look good so I think I will pull the trigger in the morning.

They replaced my turbo before I had 20K on it. The original turbos had too close a tolerances on the vanes and this was more of a recall on certain trucks. Mine never went out nor did it have any problems. Most of these problems were caused by Dodge trying to comply with upcoming pollution regs that will go into effect in 2010. All of the truck builders have had trouble with the pollution systems. I guess they havn't worked out all of the details. I did buy an extended warranty to 100K for the balance of the truck.

BY U BOY 07-15-2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by gerritm (Post 2910617)
They replaced my turbo before I had 20K on it. The original turbos had too close a tolerances on the vanes and this was more of a recall on certain trucks. Mine never went out nor did it have any problems. Most of these problems were caused by Dodge trying to comply with upcoming pollution regs that will go into effect in 2010. All of the truck builders have had trouble with the pollution systems. I guess they havn't worked out all of the details. I did buy an extended warranty to 100K for the balance of the truck.

I am a little torn right now. I talked to a diesel mechanic that I trust and he told me to run:eek: He said they are having problems with the cat,turbo and exhaust brake. Told me he has several customers that have their truck in for these items every few months. I guess I need to do more research/It's just a hard deal to pass up.

Do you have the exhaust brake?