Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why does this need to happen???? >

Why does this need to happen????

Notices

Why does this need to happen????

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your popcorn ready! Ask all of the questions you want. It's about time someone stands up for what is right, Thank you Oceanracer! Respectfully, Joy President of the Platinum Powerboat Club
Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
I know - I lost that .gif in a system crash and have never been able to find another copy.

Inconceivable!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered

I know - my google-fu is weak... if I could remember where I grabbed it in the first place, I might have a fighting chance. Plus I can't find a place to replace my avatar here now, probably because I'm no longer a paying member.

** sorry for the hijack - we now return you to your regularly scheduled episode of "As The Bravo Grenades...."
Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oceanracer
Bill Taylor (Poker Runs America) has been on a mission since the first part of last week to keep poker runners from attending the Platinum Poweboat club Lake Norman event. There have been phone calls from several people saying that Bill has personally called them and asked them to not attend the Lake Norman event that is happening at the end of this month. This is very sad. A poor turn out will only hurt the kids of Make a Wish Foundation. If you can find the time to forward this or a letter to your clients in support of Puttin on the Wish, Lake Norman event it may help overcome some of the damage that he has done. As of today at 1:30 pm ,71 Make a Wish participants have RSVP'D for rides on July 31st! There is stil 12 days to RSVP for the event. If we pull together we can make this great for the kids!
I find it very hard to believe that he is on a mission to keep people from attending.

I received a call from Bill last week on my cell phone to ask if we still planned to attend his run in September and if he could count on our support. I told him "YES" and he thanked me and said he was very excited about this 2nd annual event and that he looked forward to seeing me and the wife.

There was nothing said about the other run and from what I know of Bill and the way he operates he is above that kind of stuff.

I'm sure it is very competitive in the poker run world right now with the economy but he ran a great and SAFE event last year and we had a blast and we look forward to supporting him.

I find Bill to be fine individual that runs a first rate operation and he has contributed a lot to this sport.

I hope both events are successful, both are safe and fun and both do a great job for their charities.

If my boat was running I would be supporting and attending both runs.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joy:

Is the assertion of the original poster accurate and verifiable ?

I have not dog in the fight as I am not participating in the event. However, I would be terribly disappointed if that were happening.

Is PRA the same organization that tried to back away from making the charitable contribution that was promised during one of the high stakes poker runs ?

TC
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered

WOW!!! I dont see how calling boaters to reach out for an invite to a poker run is wrong. It seems like due dillengence to me.

With any run at LKN being so controversial to begin with, and the huge push to have it at the end of September last year (kids back in school and lake traffic down) - planning another PR at the same location two months earlier after Bill said that they planned to return could be considered a "back door" move by Platinum.

Regardless of what took place last year to upset everyone, the simple facts remain. Joy helped Bill with the "event planning" portion of the PRA event last year. It went great.

After this event Joy and Kenny started the PPC - conducing PR and events for Make A Wish - a very worthy cause.

Bill re-up for the same deal this year, and Joy and the PPC decided to have a similar event two months earlier. Free country, public lake, they can do what they want

Personally, I think that July is too busy to have ALOT of big boys out running. There is a huge difference in July and September as far as regular boat traffic.

With safety such a concern and personally knowing both parties, I am sure that precautions have been taken to have a great deal from both groups.

I would suspect that both groups would support the sport and eachothers run, as two charties will benefit.

For those who dont know - PRA does a great job with the LKN run, the floating lunch is definetly something different and the day at the track is a great change of pace.

With all that said, Joy thanks for your help last year. However, I am sure that in your absence PRA will be able to plan the PR this year. And good luck with your charitiy rides and PR this month. I hope that you raise $$$ for Make A Wish. The kids really enjoyed it last year.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Hi TC,

Is the assertion of the original poster accurate and verifiable ? Unfortunately, this seems to be the case.
I have not dog in the fight as I am not participating in the event. However, I would be terribly disappointed if that were happening. I would love to be able to have a friendly conversation with Bill about this. There is enough room for this club in the industry. What we do, is for the love of the sport and the less fortunate. No one wins when these type of tactics are used. Especially you guys!

Is PRA the same organization that tried to back away from making the charitable contribution that was promised during one of the high stakes poker runs ? I only know about our club. I have helped Bill on several events, it is very heartbreaking to have him doing this, especially for the kids who can't defend themselves. This club has raised over $33,000 for children with life threatening medical conditions. Lake Norman is where we started! I hope that everyone will focuse on the good of our sport! Set the childs play to the side! Let's all be friends!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MegaByte*3
Joy:

Is the assertion of the original poster accurate and verifiable ?

TC
Yeah......can you verify this?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PRINCESS TA
Lake Norman is where we started!

See - now this statement is misleading. Platinum has not had an event on Lake Norman. Last year was PRA's event!! The founders of Platinum helped with the planning of PRA's Poker Run.

There does not need to be any bad mouthing on the phone, internet or at the dock. Let the people decide where they want to go and hopefully they will attend both events.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the larger picture, if I were PPC, I wouldn't feel slighted at all if this is actually true. PPC puts on an entirely different event experience than any of the other clubs from what I've seen. They aim to make their events extremely high end in every aspect. The lodging, dining, marina's, etc are all 5 star, or as close as possible depending on the location.

I don't think the percentage of people that will choose only one of the two events will be enough to cause any realistic loss of revenue, or notable competition to either clubs' goals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.