Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is it worth it (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/212994-worth.html)

PWRQWST 07-14-2009 09:16 PM

Is it worth it

Ok here is my question, I have to replace one of my motors, once that is done I am putting the boat up for sale. So if I replace the one and the one only is that ok, or will I get my money back if I replace the two? The boat has 320 hours on it and had the uppers done 3 years ago and I have put 80 hours on it since then. I dont have a problem dropping in the second but will I get my money back from it and would it sell faster. Just curious what you all think. Thanks,

Rich.

boomer 07-15-2009 07:22 AM

You will need to do some research any idea what your boat should sell for in this market? Do the math is it worth paying to install the new motor? I think it might be better to not but money into your boat and sell it for what its worth with only one motor. Tthis way the new owner gets the motor done on his terms and has the warranty up front.

Knot 4 Me 07-15-2009 08:40 AM

Rich, I would only replace the busted motor. If the other motor is running fine, leave it alone. Just inform potential buyers that one of the motors is new and the other original. What happened to the one motor? Those 454 blocks that make up the 525 SC's are pretty durable. Did a valvetrain failure lead to the short block's demise? We saw you out in Houseboat a few weekends back. We were trying to get your attention to give you a hard time for standing on the deck of a Baja! :drink:

Mentalpause 07-15-2009 09:47 AM

A pair of new 525s would work!

dockrocker 07-15-2009 10:35 AM

Hey, you asked for opinions so here ya go!

Any time I see a boat with one motor replaced, my immediate thought is "why did he only replace one?" To me, that means the other one is a ticking time bomb UNLESS the seller has a good, verifiable explanation and I get some decent survey (compression / leak down) numbers on the other motor. I realize that "stuff" happens and it can happend to just one motor, but I think the "time bomb" mentality is what is going to be in the buyer's head. Good documentation might allay that fear.

I would not replace the other one unless it is truly warranted; you can always negotiate it later, if necessary, but if you do drop a 2nd new motor in, that money is already spent.

PWRQWST 07-15-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2910594)
Rich, I would only replace the busted motor. If the other motor is running fine, leave it alone. Just inform potential buyers that one of the motors is new and the other original. What happened to the one motor? Those 454 blocks that make up the 525 SC's are pretty durable. Did a valvetrain failure lead to the short block's demise? We saw you out in Houseboat a few weekends back. We were trying to get your attention to give you a hard time for standing on the deck of a Baja! :drink:

From what I am being told it had a wrist pin back out on it. I am heading down tomorrow to pick up the motor and boat and bringing it all home. I've been chatting with the boys in Easton and will be taking it over there to figure out what is up with everything. Dont know if I will go rebuilt or buy a new long block yet, time will tell. But since I'm selling it I will take the chap on trade. You need a bigger boat:drink:

Knot 4 Me 07-15-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PWRQWST (Post 2910747)
From what I am being told it had a wrist pin back out on it. I am heading down tomorrow to pick up the motor and boat and bringing it all home. I've been chatting with the boys in Easton and will be taking it over there to figure out what is up with everything. Dont know if I will go rebuilt or buy a new long block yet, time will tell. But since I'm selling it I will take the chap on trade. You need a bigger boat:drink:

The boys in Easton will get her right again. I assume it took out a cylinder wall so you are either looking at a new block or a sleeve in the existing block. Ouch...

My lift can't handle the Chap let alone the PQ! Plus, Boody would be upset if my nose stuck out further than his does on Dock 3. :drink:

TexomaPowerboater 07-15-2009 05:48 PM

Maybe sell the boat less motors, then sell the engines seperately or keep them both to put in a single engine boat and keep the old one as a back up. Or give the buyer different options - one new one old, two new ones, or no engines at all.

Mentalpause 07-15-2009 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by PWRQWST (Post 2910747)

Just drop a pair of 700s with NXTs in it Rich - you will be good for a long time!:lolhit:

DMOORE 07-16-2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2911031)
Maybe sell the boat less motors, then sell the engines seperately or keep them both to put in a single engine boat and keep the old one as a back up. Or give the buyer different options - one new one old, two new ones, or no engines at all.

I'm right with ya. In these times, one isn't going to get top dollar as it is.

Darrell.