Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast... >

You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...

Notices

You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...

Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the replies so far and the time it took to chime in (especially you carcrash and Jass). (BTW Car - you post led me to this informative reggie Fountain video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Qzsf6aZpk )

I'm obviously on a crash learning course here and this is an incredibly helpful beginning.

A couple of newbie/ignorant questions:

Surface drives backing down - how does that work? Would seem squirrely.

Surface drives at slow (displacement) speeds?

Surface drives from a dead start (hook-up?).

Steps backing down?

I know the arguments for steps - what arguments am I going to field against steps.

Turbines are too thirsty, I believe. Customer would like 300 mile range. What are their burn rates and reliability like. I was in the Marines and they were always maintaining the turbines - always. I always wondered why so much as a turbine is pretty simple isn't it? Way less moving parts I always thought.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike Buck is working on 6 cylinder 650hp Marine diesels with 850hp models to come. Give him a call;

www.buckdiesel.com

Well if carcrash is a rocket scientist I would believe what he says. He's right, Fountains are the fastest V bottoms in the world.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

I think the reason they were maintaining them was because they were in air units(correct) Turbines are simple, have a huge life span, also the power to weight is unbeatable..

John jr
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might also consider a beak on the bow...you could market as a 46'....
Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

I think you should take a look at turbines. John Arruda at www.turbinemarine,com put a pair of his 1450hp turbines in an 18,000lb 51' Outerlimits V bottom and it's running over 130 with Merc 6 drives. He has solved a lot of problems with turbines in the Marine environment, especially exhaust heat with water-jacketed exhaust. One problem with turbines is they burn as much fuel at idle as they do at WOT.

Eliminator boats built a 12,500lb 43' V with staggered 480hp Cummins-Mercruiser diesels that is running close to 75mph. If that boat(Scarab) had the Fountain bottom it would run well over 80.

One way to wring more speed out of a diesel is multispeed transmissions. Weismann has developed transmissions from two to six speeds and they have also developed a Marine drive to handle the huge torque;

www.weismann.net

Last edited by Catmando; 07-16-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
You might also consider a beak on the bow...you could market as a 46'....
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

blacklabmarine -

This is my advice take it or leave it - you already said you need diesel. This is most probably a goverment type application so anything other than off the shelf product can't even be considered.

Your building a big, heavy and wider(?) boat I guess.

Steps or not, your not going fast enough to make that much difference (people will argue that but any straight bottom can go 70 mph with ease)

Look at what Magnum has done, see what engines (Cat or Cummins) and drives (Arenson) they run and go from there - they make big heavy boats that go fast!

Trying to go do all kinds of things to copy the fiberglass builders will get you no where fast. Find an aluminium Cougar monohull - measure it, study it and copy it - it works, it goes fast, it's proven in a sea, etc, etc -

Just my 2 cents?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
the duramaxes are not out as of yet...and B-max is in the good, the bad, and the ugly section. too many problems, I have many friends with them on this board.

Arneson with the Yanmars, or Cummins with the NXT. These are the two optiona that work and give resale value.
I actually got a quote on the Banks/Duramax 4 days ago. 17.5 K ea still dont know if they will work for me in my application though. Tuneable 350-550 hp.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Metal Bros Racing - Banks gave you a quote for $17,500 for a "tunable" Duramax that goes from 350 -550 Hp is that what you are saying?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklabmarine
Thank you so much for the replies so far and the time it took to chime in (especially you carcrash and Jass). (BTW Car - you post led me to this informative reggie Fountain video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Qzsf6aZpk )

I'm obviously on a crash learning course here and this is an incredibly helpful beginning.

A couple of newbie/ignorant questions:

Surface drives backing down - how does that work? Would seem squirrely.

Surface drives at slow (displacement) speeds?

Surface drives from a dead start (hook-up?).

Steps backing down?

I know the arguments for steps - what arguments am I going to field against steps.

Turbines are too thirsty, I believe. Customer would like 300 mile range. What are their burn rates and reliability like. I was in the Marines and they were always maintaining the turbines - always. I always wondered why so much as a turbine is pretty simple isn't it? Way less moving parts I always thought.

Backing down: Just like anything else, the boat will slow down until you stop or give it more throttle.

Slow speeds: The boat will turn and steer like any other boat that is off plane

Dead Start: They will hook up and when the turbo's spool up the boat will take off.

Look at the Fountains you have been advised about. They to are running the Arnesons and there are no problems with the areas you asked about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.