Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast... >

You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...

Notices

You're the experts - Suggestions on Diesel Go-Fast...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

DMOORE - well said and thanks for your service!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is other stuff out there!

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Not for nothing but Man has an 800hp I-6 http://www.man-mec.com/R6-800%20specs.htm about 200 lbs heavier and 200 rpm's slower but 800 hp? You could jacked up the gears a little more to .8:1 it might work good, there are plenty of parts and dealers, they have a parts distrobution center in NJ - just a thought?
Joe,
Special K (Cummin's closet cousin) has a 140mm bore x 165 stroke 14L inline six full output 850 ponies @ 2300 rpm, 10 hr continuous @ 770 ponies @2100 rpm. Special K also has a 170mm bore x 170mm stroke inline six full output 1000 ponies @ 2000 rpm, 10 hr continous @ 910 ponies @ 2000 rpm. These engines are kinda heavy but a little dietary reengineering would help.
Ed

BTW a piece of patrol history just showed up at my buddie's shop. Ever see one of the patrol boats Intrepid built back in the day? 30 something go fast, kevlar hull, low profile cabin with bullet proof windows and a gun tub right behind the cabin. Originally built with Cummins 6BTAs on I think Helice surface drives. They were changed to Volvo TAMD 42 (the ones with the turbos & intermittent superchargers) on Volvo DP drives. Was a big loss in speed but a big gain in serviceability. Bean counters don't care if you get blown up or the bad guys get away just as long as you pinch a few pennies or in this case yen.

Last edited by 29Firefox; 12-21-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Jay,Being a former Navy SEAL, and working at the SBU, I will state that, if the boat is being designed for SPECOPS missions, plan on the boat being HEAVY. Besides the weight of the personel, factor in a LOT of gear, weapons and ammo. You'd be suprised just how heavy an HSB was when fully loaded. As for the beam, go as wide as you can. Is the boat designed to be C141/ C17 flyable. That's a key to quick deployments. The SOCOM MKV is only C5 deployable (Antonov works as well) and it makes things much more complicated as a result. One other factor which is often overlooked for SPECOP craft, make it a dry boat. The HSB's were a very dry riding boat, and when operating in a sub zero environment, this makes a huge difference in combat rediness. The RIBS the Navy are useing currently fail miserably in this department. Having been on HSB's in foul weather where RIBS were being used as well, you can see the difference in the personel after a 12hr mission. Mogas ( motor gasoline) is basically dead for the Navy. Even Zodiac motors are going to be switched over, so the Diesel engine is the only choice. As much as the performance has to be there, reliability has to be an equal. Lots of good info here, from guys that know much more than I in the diesel department. Best of luck with your project.

Darrell.
Darrel,
I was just looking at the drawings of a couple of prototypes the seals are using right now. They grafted a different engines on to some old Johnson outboards.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Jay,Being a former Navy SEAL, and working at the SBU, I will state that, if the boat is being designed for SPECOPS missions, plan on the boat being HEAVY. Besides the weight of the personel, factor in a LOT of gear, weapons and ammo. You'd be suprised just how heavy an HSB was when fully loaded. As for the beam, go as wide as you can. Is the boat designed to be C141/ C17 flyable. That's a key to quick deployments. The SOCOM MKV is only C5 deployable (Antonov works as well) and it makes things much more complicated as a result. One other factor which is often overlooked for SPECOP craft, make it a dry boat. The HSB's were a very dry riding boat, and when operating in a sub zero environment, this makes a huge difference in combat rediness. The RIBS the Navy are useing currently fail miserably in this department. Having been on HSB's in foul weather where RIBS were being used as well, you can see the difference in the personel after a 12hr mission. Mogas ( motor gasoline) is basically dead for the Navy. Even Zodiac motors are going to be switched over, so the Diesel engine is the only choice. As much as the performance has to be there, reliability has to be an equal. Lots of good info here, from guys that know much more than I in the diesel department. Best of luck with your project.

Darrell.
Darrell,

Thank you for your reply and, more importantly, your service.

You have a PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Joe,
Special K (Cummin's closet cousin) has a 140mm bore x 165 stroke 14L inline six full output 850 ponies @ 2300 rpm, 10 hr continuous @ 770 ponies @2100 rpm. Special K also has a 170mm bore x 170mm stroke inline six full output 1000 ponies @ 2000 rpm, 10 hr continous @ 910 ponies @ 2000 rpm. These engines are kinda heavy but a little dietary reengineering would help.
Ed

BTW a piece of patrol history just showed up at my buddie's shop. Ever see one of the patrol boats Intrepid built back in the day? 30 something go fast, kevlar hull, low profile cabin with bullet proof windows and a gun tub right behind the cabin. Originally built with Cummins 6BTAs on I think Helice surface drives. They were changed to Volvo TAMD 42 (the ones with the turbos & intermittent superchargers) on Volvo DP drives. Was a big loss in speed but a big gain in serviceability. Bean counters don't care if you get blown up or the bad guys get away just as long as you pinch a few pennies or in this case yen.
Who's Special K?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Kotmatsu, who built engines under a Cummins license deal, they have their own stuff now, don't know if Cummins is in it still but Firefox can answer that!

I liked the MAN because more global reach, I don't know if "special K" is as far reaching?

Firefox - remember drawings for them and the pigs we did were Cummins B's and Arnesons, it must have been a 34'? Also when you say Intrepid do you SH or real Intrepids?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Made in Japan

Originally Posted by blacklabmarine
Who's Special K?
Komatsu Marine not to be confused with Lugger
Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM

Kotmatsu, who built engines under a Cummins license deal, they have their own stuff now, don't know if Cummins is in it still but Firefox can answer that!

I liked the MAN because more global reach, I don't know if "special K" is as far reaching?

Firefox - remember drawings for them and the pigs we did were Cummins B's and Arnesons, it must have been a 34'? Also when you say Intrepid do you SH or real Intrepids?
LoLz it's the other way around now Joe. Komatsu & Cummins are back together except its Komastu is licensing Cummins now

As for MAN well....... Lets just say they provide marine diesel techs with job security

Komatsu parts can usually be had in short order any where in the world.
If not we kick a lot of stuff out the door via FedEx
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DMOORE - well said and thanks for your service!
Thank you very much sir.

Darrell.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:03 PM

The Intrepids that Kitami (SH) sold the JCG. will try to post some pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.