Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sonic 260, Checkmate 260zt or Velocity 260?? >

Sonic 260, Checkmate 260zt or Velocity 260??

Notices

Sonic 260, Checkmate 260zt or Velocity 260??

Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Just for clarification, we still build the 28AT, and the 29AT is coming out next year.

I'd go with the Sonic if you can't find a 28AT to your liking. The 25AT is great, but the 26 Sonic Prowler is a more versatile boat due to the bigger cabin.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a look at a powerquest 280 Silencer, get's overlooked just about every time but it is a very roomy comfortable 28' boat, its is a solid 68 gps with a 502, it will handle the Potomac with ease,

I will sell mine for much less than what your range is,
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

If you find a 2003/2004 Sonic Prowler, have it inspected very carefully and be sure to run it by the crowd here on OSO. In 2003, the former owner of Sonic introduced the Infusion (vacuum bagging) process to the hull builds, and they did not get it right on a few boats. Most of the boats were corrected, but you do want to get a couple of opinions on those year boats. Anything prior or later is golden.

45Sonic/Bill here on OSO is a great asset for Sonic knowledge. He used to work for the big Sonic dealer here in VA/MD, and he's owned at least 4 between himself and his girlfriend Patti. He's around the beltway, and I live outside of Richmond. Feel free to bounce any potential boats my way for an opinion, and I am sure Bill will oblige the same.

My first boat was a 26' Sonic, and I lived in NoVA at the time. I ran the Potomac, SML, Lake Anna, Chesapeake, and other areas and the boat was perfect for such. Mine was a 1999 with a 500EFI and turned 72mph GPS. I sold the boat to a couple in Montana.

The owners and management of Sonic and Active Thunder have always been pretty tight. There is a friendly relationship between everyone.

Frank Marchone sold probably 97% of the Sonics in the Mid-Atlantic, at least once; probably more than once. (He sold my 26' Sonic 3 times.) I'll ping him tomorrow and see if he knows of anything in the area that's available and may not be well publicized.

BTW, The 26' Sonic is a heavy boat. Mine on an aluminum trailer, full of fuel (102 gallons), and all my other gear was 7250 lbs. You are not going to want to tow that with the family Tahoe.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Not Right
take a look at a powerquest 280 Silencer, get's overlooked just about every time but it is a very roomy comfortable 28' boat, its is a solid 68 gps with a 502, it will handle the Potomac with ease,

I will sell mine for much less than what your range is,
I've noticed the PQ's. Nice looking boats just don't know too much about them.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If you find a 2003/2004 Sonic Prowler, have it inspected very carefully and be sure to run it by the crowd here on OSO. In 2003, the former owner of Sonic introduced the Infusion (vacuum bagging) process to the hull builds, and they did not get it right on a few boats. Most of the boats were corrected, but you do want to get a couple of opinions on those year boats. Anything prior or later is golden.

45Sonic/Bill here on OSO is a great asset for Sonic knowledge. He used to work for the big Sonic dealer here in VA/MD, and he's owned at least 4 between himself and his girlfriend Patti. He's around the beltway, and I live outside of Richmond. Feel free to bounce any potential boats my way for an opinion, and I am sure Bill will oblige the same.

My first boat was a 26' Sonic, and I lived in NoVA at the time. I ran the Potomac, SML, Lake Anna, Chesapeake, and other areas and the boat was perfect for such.

The owners and management of Sonic and Active Thunder have always been pretty tight. There is a friendly relationship between everyone.

Frank Marchone sold probably 97% of the Sonics in the Mid-Atlantic, at least once; probably more than once. (He sold my 26' Sonic 3 times.) I'll ping him tomrrow and see if he knows of anything in the area that's available and may not be well publicized.
Awesome!! Thanks for the great info and help. Please do. I would like to see what's around locally. What would be a good price range?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Registered

Definetly the sonic if room and ride are what matter most. Probably the only boat in it's class to have a enclosed head which the lady would like I'm sure. Checkmate would be my second choice. Solid boats. Look into the 288 Sunsation as well. Awesome boats with the best Customer backing of anyone, new or used don't matter. There are a couple for sale in your coin range on the sunsation site that look very well taken care of. It'd also handle your water.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonic
Old 07-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonic or Active Thunder
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a nice looking 26 Hustler in the classifieds.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

My first boat was a 26' Sonic, and I lived in NoVA at the time. I ran the Potomac, SML, Lake Anna, Chesapeake, and other areas and the boat was perfect for such. Mine was a 1999 with a 500EFI and turned 72mph GPS. I sold the boat to a couple in Montana.

Frank Marchone sold probably 97% of the Sonics in the Mid-Atlantic, at least once; probably more than once. (He sold my 26' Sonic 3 times.) I'll ping him tomorrow and see if he knows of anything in the area that's available and may not be well publicized.

BTW, The 26' Sonic is a heavy boat. Mine on an aluminum trailer, full of fuel (102 gallons), and all my other gear was 7250 lbs. You are not going to want to tow that with the family Tahoe.

Brian, you towed yours with a 2dr Tahoe
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

I am looking to move up. I would make you a really GOOD deal on a 2000 Checkmate ZT260. I am here in MD and the boat can be seen any time. It has been in fresh water for the past two summers. Sitting on trailer now. Email me if you are interested [email protected]
A new boat just came on the market that has peaked my interest. That is the only reason I am selling. If I can get the boat moved this weekend, I could be in my new by next weekend....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.