Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LEOPA run today (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213216-leopa-run-today.html)

rockstrmkr 07-18-2009 08:43 PM

LEOPA run today

Heard a yellow canopy Fountain checked out on more people than the Hampton Inn :hitfan:

...with stock 525's:eekdrop:

twinsteptiger 07-19-2009 05:40 AM

There was a yellow boat first to the toledo beach card stop. But it was a yellow 46 cigarette.!! There wasnt a fountain in sight......

phragle 07-19-2009 08:05 AM

ok..if the run ( i may be wrong but I think) started at MBC and the first stop was toledo beach, half the boats here couldnt even get on a plane in that distance.. not much for bragging rights.

connect the dots... maybe a mile and a half.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...gle/monroe.jpg

ROADHOG 07-19-2009 08:38 AM

Maybe all about having fun and not EGO. Also 525's VS. 1075's

DO THE MATH!!!!!

twinsteptiger 07-19-2009 10:14 AM

It left detroit beach club quite a bit north of mbc. There was a pace boat..everyone was on plane:cool:

ROADHOG 07-19-2009 10:22 AM

What's Your Point!!!!

twinsteptiger 07-19-2009 10:29 AM

Just dont want anyone confusing a cigarette for a fountain!!!

ROADHOG 07-19-2009 10:44 AM

Anyone that knows anything about peformance boats would never make the mistake. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

TeamShogren.com 07-19-2009 10:49 AM

LEOPA, you rock!!! Great job!!!

Well I am not sure where the rumors start or end but I would like to start off by saying this is the first time I have personally attended the LEOPA Run and we had a blast. This is a class act club that does a great job and should be acknowledged for a fantastic event. It was not a race, but a heckuva a GREAT time and we did see some different water conditions throughout the day. Let’s face it, there is always fun smack talked about at the docks the bars, etc. If it was not for brand loyal owners, proud owners, etc what fun would it be? Being a Fountain/Baja dealer, I carry those flags. This is definitely "Cigarette Country" and there were allot of beautiful Cigarettes there. Darn, there had to be 40 or more Cigs there, a great turn out Skip would have been proud of. Being this was my first run there I was not sure exactly where we were going and was told the first leg "very short" had very shallow water coming into stop and to be careful. We went way outside in our boat to burn a little fuel. We prepared for what we thought would be a 80-90 mile run and it was actually 49.6 miles according to our GPS. The first leg was fun but short, 44 Cig with 1075's, 46 Cig RR with 1075's, Lip Ship 36 with 700's, then us in our 40 Fountain Canopy with factory sealed 525's, then 42 Fountain with 700's. After that, not too sure as we were concerned about docking. After that we headed across the lake, we left about mid pack for a nice run, and we were definitely the first ones there. Now time for lunch at a very cool restaurant. We left lunch the 5th to last boat knowing it was a bit choppy and we had 24 miles to go. We worked our way all the way thru and finally passed the 44 Cig with 1075's and Lip Ship Gladiator (I will say Phil can drive a boat, he motored that 36 thru some good water). As we got closer to the center of the lake it got rougher and was a blast. When we entered mouth of harbor we turned around to see where everyone was coming in. Here comes Lip Ship 700 boat & 42 700 Fountain neck and neck, then the 44 Cig with 1075's. All I know is we had time to go into mouth of harbor and come back out before 2-3 boat were even close. It was not a race but rather a big lake with allot of room for all of us and there was no one close to us so it was plenty safe for us to run wide open with our 525's, A/C, iTunes and bottled water. There was allot of talk about 130MPH boats with mechanics flown in, throttlemen flown in, etc. The best I saw all day was 108 and our average across the 24 mile span was 102. Dan Davies, the owner of the 42 Canopy/pleasure boat was a great wheel man and did a great job. If he ever lightened this boat up (we scaled with fuel, people and all his shi- at 11K-OUCH!!) and took out of the pleasure/poker run circuit and raced it, I would have no problem throttling for him. Good job Dan, hope you had fun and learned a few things.

Regards,

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Fountain & BAJA By Fountain

twinsteptiger 07-19-2009 10:52 AM

Agree, great run and great people up there..

carcrash 07-19-2009 11:13 AM

Pics or it never happened ;-)

laszlo01 07-19-2009 01:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few.

laszlo01 07-19-2009 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more.

brian41 07-19-2009 02:01 PM

What no mentioned of the 32 Baja that was the 6th boat at the first stop right behind the Cig with 1250's :cool-smiley-027:

Racegirl3 07-19-2009 04:53 PM

LEOPA runs are always a blast :cool: Glad everybody had a good day. I wasnt sure the weather was gonna hold out for you guys :bunny:

Bobthebuilder 07-19-2009 07:03 PM

I was registered for the run and greatly disappointed we could not make the last leg of the trip to get there. We were on an island in Lake Erie ( Put in Bay, OH ) 32 miles to the east of Monroe and with the 15 - 20 knot westerly winds and 6 ft seas, made a decision early Saturday morning not to make the crossing. That was tough as we knew it would be OK at the western end of the lake if we could get there. We will look forward to joining the LEOPA group at some other time in the future.
Glad to hear it was a great run and everyone had a blast. :) We did OK consoling ourselves at PIB. :)
Bob

laszlo01 07-19-2009 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more from GLOS sight.

J-Bonz 07-19-2009 09:30 PM

Did anyone run into my buddy "Larry the Cable Guy" there?

MarkSmith 07-20-2009 08:02 AM

I heard Dennis the Menace got scared and did not show when he heard there were 6 foot waves.:p:p:p

Bobthebuilder 07-20-2009 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith (Post 2913654)
I heard Dennis the Menace got scared and did not show when he heard there were 6 foot waves.:p:p:p

He,he. Your a funny guy, Mark. I had asked him if he had planned on doing the run and says it's tough to do poker runs with the turbine Skater. Docking and maneuvering around the boats and all the congestion at times. We hooked up with him and Erika and went for lunch ay Kelly's Island on Sunday. He blasted by us like we were standing still. Awesome boat.
Bob

Queenruler 07-20-2009 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2913662)
He,he. Your a funny guy, Mark. I had asked him if he had planned on doing the run and says it's tough to do poker runs with the turbine Skater. Docking and maneuvering around the boats and all the congestion at times. We hooked up with him and Erika and went for lunch ay Kelly's Island on Sunday. He blasted by us like we were standing still. Awesome boat.
Bob

We kept Bob out of trouble for a few hours!:p

Ms PatriYacht 07-20-2009 10:33 AM

Talking smack after a LEOPA get together, this might be the first time that has happened:cool: It's not a poker run and there were no cards picked up at any stops. Scott it was good to see you and nice to have you help support our club. Phil is a long time supporter of LakeErieOffshorePerformance and has attended many events; he even brings in some of his best customers from around the country.
While we always have some nice hardware, the average attendee is a club member with a boat traveling like us, in the 60 to 70 mph range. Heck we didn't even have on cat at the event. This year with the economy hurting pretty bad in our area we shortened the run to help members conserve fuel costs. The organizers also did a phenomenal job and kept the cost @$250.00 a boat, this included two nights of docking, full breakfast, lunch, a steak dinner and live band. In addition each boat was given a goody bag, with 2 large mono-grammed towels and 2 tee shirts. The best part of the LEOPA summer event is that we donate a large portion of the fee to a local charity. We have donated to charities like the Special Olympics and Make a Wish this year $5,500 was presented to God Works a local charity that offers no cost meals to low income people all over lower MI. At the end of the run each boat got to draw 5 cards; then $7,000.00 in prize money and several thousand dollars in prizes were given out to the best hands. Most people marvel how we do it, Brian Bunch, this year’s Vice Commodore, organized the run, he had a good group of club members that helped him, they brought in great sponsors, and I guess they just shopped for the best prices. Thanks again to all the generous sponsors and all the club members that gave their time throughout the year to make this a fun time for members and guests
It was great to see everyone, and Bob you were missed.

Madcow 07-20-2009 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MarkSmith (Post 2913654)

I sure the hell hope not I made the run in this!

Biggus 07-21-2009 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Madcow (Post 2914393)
I sure the hell hope not I made the run in this!

Sweet Donzi!

Biggus 07-21-2009 08:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
-Just got back last night. What a great time, nice folks, big water and lots of new friends. Big thanks to Brian Bunch for the use of his shop to clean and prep my Konrad equipped Cigarette for the run after a long tow from Maine. It's sure was a blast to run in some decent water!

Here's a few pics.

Kurt

C M R 07-21-2009 08:06 AM

Lot of nice hardware there, and looks like a great turn out!

Biggus 07-21-2009 08:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
:drink: Lots of sweet older boats there too!

MarkSmith 07-21-2009 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2913662)
Bob

Hey Bob, I met you a couple of times but never on the water. Dennis and I go way back and I am busting his chops. The LEOPA run is one of the best runs I have ever been on. The LEOPA/MYC are a great bunch of people to party with. Erica and Dennis are on my Facebook and I knew they weren't going. Hope to see everyone real soon!