Like Tree0Likes

Baja Islander 212 opinions from the Crowd

Reply
Old 04-01-2002, 02:38 PM
  #1
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Baja Islander 212 opinions from the Crowd

I am speaking with a dealer in Omaha,NE , I live in GA, about the above boat.

Comes with a 6.2 MX 320 HP, 23 Mirage SS 3 blade prop, Bravo 1. Has a Heritage trailer, whatever that means, and comes with a Special option Package, which is depth finder, cd, bow filler cushion, carpet, Pop Out cleets, and full morning cover.

It is a 2002, zero hours and never used.

Price is $35,000. What are some opinions about the purchase. Good price or not?

Salesman said should run on speedo 67-70 mph. Has a 1.5 to 1 gear ratio.

Can add captain choice for around $1,200.

I have a FourWinns but would love the faster, bigger, and better boat.

Advice?
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:57 PM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
CigDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
Posts: 21,346
Default

Hey Eric!
I give the boat thumbs up. I think you'll enjoy it! It's comparable to the Hammer(same hull, set-up) which I owned in 2000. It's a fast platform and is fairly comfortable in most light chop conditions(1'-2'). It's got a 21* bottom which is a little more bumpy than most of the deeper(23*-25*) vee boats. Nonetheless, it's faster for it and planes pretty quickly.

The numbers you quoted seem to be in check. 35,000 is about right for the way the boat is set-up. A quick search on www.boattraderonline.com yielded very similar numbers.

The 6.2MX is rated for an rpm range of 4800-5200rpm. So, assuming the set-up falls within that range, the boat should see about 65mph average at 5000rpm.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
CigDaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 03:24 PM
  #3
MERC575
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

HEY ERIC!

Whats up man?
not much here. just got done blueprinting the bottom of my hull getting ready to go for a spin to see how much that helped. Made a call to a buddie at baja to see how a 212isl. runs he says it should run a good 60mph with a 6.2 with thru hub exhaust. He says put the silent choice or Q and Q plus and you will see around 65 plus. I say go for it you'll love the baja.
well i'm going to go putt mine in the lake to see what happens i will post report later if i get it to run any faster than already at 98.9

I can also help with any parts you may want to buy for the baja.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 09:34 PM
  #4
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,752
Default

Looks like you've been talking to R.C. Olsen. He's the only Baja dealer in town. He is one arrogant SOB too. A lot of people locally don't care for him, but his prices are fair. I know a lot of people locally don't buy from him because he doesn't keep a lot of new boats in stock. A lot of people buy from a dealer in Dubuque, IA.

BTW if you want to come to Omaha to buy a boat, I'll sell you my 1993 24 Outlaw for about 2/3 of that 212.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 12:43 AM
  #5
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
liquid asset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Haslet, TX,USA
My Boats: Wellcraft Gran Sport 3400
Posts: 1,936
Default

come to texas and i'll sell you a 1997 perfect 24 outlaw loaded with everything and a 502 mag with a labbed prop for the 35,000
liquid asset is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:20 AM
  #6
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Daze
Hey Eric!
I give the boat thumbs up. I think you'll enjoy it! It's comparable to the Hammer(same hull, set-up) which I owned in 2000. It's a fast platform and is fairly comfortable in most light chop conditions(1'-2'). It's got a 21* bottom which is a little more bumpy than most of the deeper(23*-25*) vee boats. Nonetheless, it's faster for it and planes pretty quickly.

The numbers you quoted seem to be in check. 35,000 is about right for the way the boat is set-up. A quick search on www.boattraderonline.com yielded very similar numbers.

The 6.2MX is rated for an rpm range of 4800-5200rpm. So, assuming the set-up falls within that range, the boat should see about 65mph average at 5000rpm.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Baja Daze,
Thanks for the information. The 6.2 is rated with 320HP, which is 200 lbs less than the 496, which is rated with 375 HP. I would figure the 6.2 may plane a little faster than the 496, but the 496 will produce a higher top end.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:27 AM
  #7
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by MERC575
HEY ERIC!

Whats up man?
not much here. just got done blueprinting the bottom of my hull getting ready to go for a spin to see how much that helped. Made a call to a buddie at baja to see how a 212isl. runs he says it should run a good 60mph with a 6.2 with thru hub exhaust. He says put the silent choice or Q and Q plus and you will see around 65 plus. I say go for it you'll love the baja.
well i'm going to go putt mine in the lake to see what happens i will post report later if i get it to run any faster than already at 98.9

I can also help with any parts you may want to buy for the baja.
Thanks for the tip Paul. Had someone at Baja tell me I should see 67 -69 with the prop set up I mentioned earlier.

What kind of parts do you sell? I thought about maybe the 377 Scorpion which puts out 350HP. I wonder how that compares to the 6.2 and 496 in regards to weight.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:28 AM
  #8
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Eric, I have a friend who has a 232 with a 7.4, drop out bolster option, cover, ss lab prop, aluminum trailer, stainless bimini top. captains call, cd player. This boat looks brand new. I doubt it has 50 hours on it. It runs in the mid 60 mph range. The boat is kept in his race shop (car guy). I sold it to him new in 99. Boat has purple graffics and was the most expensive 232 we ever sold. He would make you a hell of a deal on it. A 212 is too little of a boat, and for that kind of money I would fly down here and see this 232. Where is everyone coming up with these rediculous prices?
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:29 AM
  #9
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Looks like you've been talking to R.C. Olsen. He's the only Baja dealer in town. He is one arrogant SOB too. A lot of people locally don't care for him, but his prices are fair. I know a lot of people locally don't buy from him because he doesn't keep a lot of new boats in stock. A lot of people buy from a dealer in Dubuque, IA.

BTW if you want to come to Omaha to buy a boat, I'll sell you my 1993 24 Outlaw for about 2/3 of that 212.
I really don't want to buy a boat in Omaha. I would rather get a Baja from GA, but a good friend of mine bought a 36 Outlaw from him and knows them fairly well. I spoke with Bill, who seemed really nice. I am looking at the 21 for fun, speed, and for skiing. I think a 24 Outlaw isn't really set up for watersports. I don't know though.

Do you know Tony Infantino?
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:33 AM
  #10
Eric1969
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
Eric, I have a friend who has a 232 with a 7.4, drop out bolster option, cover, ss lab prop, aluminum trailer, stainless bimini top. captains call, cd player. This boat looks brand new. I doubt it has 50 hours on it. It runs in the mid 60 mph range. The boat is kept in his race shop (car guy). I sold it to him new in 99. Boat has purple graffics and was the most expensive 232 we ever sold. He would make you a hell of a deal on it. A 212 is too little of a boat, and for that kind of money I would fly down here and see this 232. Where is everyone coming up with these rediculous prices?
I would never pay the 35,000 for the 212. That is there current asking price. You are right though, prices on boats suck. I currently have a 17 foot FW, so 21 feet seems really big to me. I want a manageable boat, not too big. What HP does the 7.4 generate? I can't remember.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
WRedmann
Baja
9
02-17-2009 02:32 PM
mountainstone
Baja
4
06-27-2007 07:35 PM
rappinleroy
Baja
6
07-28-2004 07:57 AM
Eric1969
General Boating Discussion
15
06-03-2004 10:02 PM
mhunter
Baja
18
03-03-2002 11:52 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.