Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sorel quebec to Tadoussac quebec ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213434-sorel-quebec-tadoussac-quebec.html)

jeff32 07-21-2009 09:24 PM

Sorel quebec to Tadoussac quebec !

Took a 1997 sunsation 32 twin HP500 and launched it in sorel yesterday (monday) morning. Left at 10:15 am, cruised up to 3 rivers, where I towed a guy just before the bridge up to 3 rivers marina ( took an hour). poor guy ran out of gas with it's brand new 19 footer boat... Left 3 rivers and filled my tank at 2:45 pm at Ile d'orlean (226 liter = roughly 60 gal).

After Ile (island) d Orlean, the st-laurence river really gets wide. Took a small beating up until charlevoix area. got soaked twice because of the big waves rolling on the deck! I' say 30 minutes past Orlean island, water starts to be salt water, according to it's taste! Quite a highway cruise except when I was in big waves, I had to slow down to 20 - 25 mph, wich took more time than I thought to reach Tadoussac at 7pm.We were welcomed by a couple whales, wich was a great pleasure for my kids to see!

What a nice scenery !!!! 3 times larger than champlain, mountains for hours and hours, nice villages in or at the bottom of the mountains, so on and so on... felt like we were in the open ocean.

One thing strange, nobody, I mean no one was boating in this area after orlean island up until Tadoussac, not a single speed boat, not a cruiser, only cargo freighter, and me !

Although it was warm on land, we were freezing are azz even if we has a couple layers on, really cold!

Came back to quebec city marina at 3 pm today, will wait after rain tomoorow around noon before leaving for sorel.

I'm glad I did it! I know what is out there, would recommend doing it to a friend, but I won't do it again. I'd start from the Fjord in tadoussac up to the saguenay lac st-jean next time.

Some picture to follow, I did not bring my cable to download pictures, so keep and eye here if you want to see what it looks like!

292SR1 07-21-2009 10:33 PM

Wow Jeff that is quite a trip. I have often thought while driving that area about what the river would be like.

Post some pics when you get them.

PS: I will show you the Sonic if you are up for 1000 Islands run.

floatingphil 07-22-2009 07:30 AM

Beautiful year round up there.

GLH 07-22-2009 09:59 AM

Sweet ride.

Any idea of the milage? I might do a hit and run on the St-Laurent with the MTI later this summer but I am limited to the range of the MTI since I do not put ethanol fuel in my rig and 93Octane is nearly impossible to get on the water.

http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/00005a.jpg

jeff32 07-22-2009 09:13 PM

according to the papers I was given, it is 98 miles from sorel to quebec, and 111 miles from quebec to tadoussac. I just came back tonight. what a ride for only 3 days. it's ok but not much time for family entertainement...

Past orlean island, not too many places to fuel before cap a l'aigle in the charlevoix area...

Do your homework on mileage and places to fuel cause there ain't nobody to tow if you get in trouble!

jeff32 07-22-2009 09:16 PM

some pictures a little later need to resize them

jeff32 07-22-2009 10:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here we go!

on the way up to quebec city, a cargo, a train bridge, both quebec bridges, Le chateau frontenac in quebec city and the momonrency chutes a little farther after quebec...

jeff32 07-22-2009 10:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Le massif ski station ( better brake if you don't want to go straight in the st-laurence!), 3 differents shots from Tadoussac marina, looking in, out and leaving the bay and the fjord du saguenay...

Last one is only one of the multiple shot I have from all different king of whales that where there to welcome us!

jeff32 07-22-2009 10:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
look carefully on first picture, I don't get it! 2 white whales, one really close to the cargo bow on the left, the other one closer to me but still in the way the cargo is coming... they don't even bother about the cargo, they keep going as slow as if nothing was coming... we had 3 like that diving like 30 feet before my boat and we could see the white going under the boat! they were out 50 feet on the other side... kids were really impressed!

Second picture is also one of the fish, then one of the whatever the word you guys call those but in french it is a ''phare''. Maybe GLH will translate that one for me...

The other one is one only to show you guys the width of that river! I was not even close to the shore on the right side! When I said 3 times wider than champlain, I think I was wrong... It's ... I don't even know! 25 times ????

Last not the least, in the quebec marina, my girls really liked that lime sail boat... go figure why!!!!

25 hors la loi 07-23-2009 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 2915213)
One thing strange, nobody, I mean no one was boating in this area after orlean island up until Tadoussac, not a single speed boat, not a cruiser, only cargo freighter, and me

Give you a low tide and east wind .....one of the best northern spot for kite :eek:, the Champlain is a piece of cake even with south wind ...i know a made both

this is why not often boater go there , because it`s look you have weather on your side , but definitively the best ride is the Fjord ...i made it 2 time , the only down side is the cooler water
keep the picture coming ....