Notices

Pole Barn Question

Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pole Barn Question

I'm looking into building a pole barn next spring and was curious about a couple things. For starters, the barn is going to be 32' x 40' and I'd like to have a full loft above it for living quarters. I DO NOT want to have support posts in the "barn" part to support beams for the floor joists above. Do any of you have something similar, and if so do you have posts or not and what did you if you don't have posts? I don't want to use attic trusses, so that idea is out. Any info and pics would be great! Thanks!

Jay
Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this.
www.fingerlakesconstruction.com
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have what you're looking for, Dandi Systems in Woodburn, KY has a patent on laminated truss buildings, no supports, cathedral ceilings. It is a tank designed to take very heavy snow loads. When the wind blows no moving or creaking. They are good straight dealing and cheap. Bob Cook is the fellows name he lives 1 mile from me. They can do any design without additional cost. They can do it as a kit or they install. Installation is cheap and worth it. Eric
Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either Cathedral in that section or custom trusses with 2X8 or larger bottom chords.

My old neighbor did something like this (although, much larger). Came out pretty nice. He had 14' ceilings on the garage level and a full 8' height on most of the second level.

VERY tall building though........
Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Registered

32' is a big span to have, especially if you want load(liveable area) above it. To clear span that distance you probably need deep steel I-beams or big microlams.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Registered

I have been looking to do this exact same thing , i have researched a little ,and to date have not turned up anything i like , i want to do a 40' x 60 ' , with about 1200 square feet of living above, And covering one end of the building. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I have just finished clearing. I want a 100x40x16 and build living quarters(for now) on one end. I plan on framing the living quarters up myself to save money. If anyone has any recommendations on steel buildings I would appreciate it. Look on E-bay. Lots of buildings for sale. Bob
Old 07-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
I have what you're looking for, Dandi Systems in Woodburn, KY has a patent on laminated truss buildings, no supports, cathedral ceilings. It is a tank designed to take very heavy snow loads. When the wind blows no moving or creaking. They are good straight dealing and cheap. Bob Cook is the fellows name he lives 1 mile from me. They can do any design without additional cost. They can do it as a kit or they install. Installation is cheap and worth it. Eric
That sounds like the ticket if it can be pulled off! Do you have a number I could reach him at?

I really don't want to go with a steel building, I'd like it to match the house and garage. Hopefully there's a way this can be pulled off, I would hate to have support posts down the middle of the garage... If there's no way around it, so be it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, and keep the ideas coming!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://www.dandisystems.com/

Appears to be pretty badass.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Registered

I just went thru that whole excercise....I built a 24'X44' building that started off as a Pole Barn and ended up traditional construction with poured footers and Block foundation. Started the project in October 08 and fisinshed in April 09.......took a while but came out real nice. I used 10x12 pitch attic trusses to get my 2nd story space. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Pole Barn Question-img_3199.jpg   Pole Barn Question-img_3202.jpg   Pole Barn Question-img_2699.jpg  

Pole Barn Question-img_3048.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.