Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
guess Reggie is flying coach now >

guess Reggie is flying coach now

Notices

guess Reggie is flying coach now

Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Reggie attended the Jammin on the James poker run this year and most everyone appreciated him being there. He is a true ambassador to the boating industry.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Reggie is a tireless competitor and a hard worker. He is also a fearless boat racer. He has a huge ego and this has driven him relentlessly.

He has also spent more money on publicity and self promotion than anyone in the history of the sport. He has taken an Excalibur and developed around that original hull adding pads (from Allison), steps ( from ancient history), and a beak. He has made short term deals with Buzzi, Hledin, and MTI over the years all of which came to nothing.

He got his start from Mercury Marine and owes them in many ways.

IMHO the person most responsible for the performance boat industry today is Carl Kiekhaefer. Every boat bulder pales in comparison and no one should take credit for being mentioned in the same breath, for, without him and his powerplants, factory support, drives, and early race teams, none of the builders would have accomplished anywhere near what they did.

Bottom line, Reggie is very tenacious, energetic, and , to some, charismatic, but he is a link in a long chain, not its anchor.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 07-24-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Nobody mentions the Don Aronow was probably a very tough, underhanded person to do business with back in his day.
Not true...... that topic has been covered repeatedly..........

The issue is not really how bad Reggie is....he's not...The issue is the level of greatness that he is credited for...which borders on the absurd. He is not Roger Penske nor Elvis Presley, and that seems to shock some people's dream like vision of him. He is simply a pretty good country boat builder/racer from North Carolina.

I think we can forgive him for the lawyer/life insurance salesman thing....

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 07-24-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't own a Fountain and I feel lucky to own a 29 year old boat but Reggie is a someone that has done a lot for the sport of Offshore Powerboat Racing and is a multiple World Champion, that has proven himself over and over. World Champion, boat builder,employer and a savvy businessman and PR person. He may be over the top a little sometimes but that is OK as he has proven himself and I have a lot of respect for that man and appreciate what he has done for the sport.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Not true...... that topic has been covered repeatedly..........

The issue is not really how bad Reggie is....he's not...The issue is the level of greatness that he is credited for...which borders on the absurd. He is not Roger Penske nor Elvis Presley, and that seems to shock some people's dream like vision of him. He is simply a pretty good country boat builder/racer from North Carolina.

I think we can forgive him for the lawyer/life insurance salesman thing....

T2x
He's also has managed to survive in a business that has consumed a long list of boat builders. Yes "Pretty good for a country boat builder..".
ed
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Reggie Fountain has never been anything less than a gracious gentleman in my experiences with him. More to the point: Whatever troubles Fountain Powerboats is having are nothing to rejoice in or gloat over. The entire industry is in trouble. Fountain's woes are—unfortunately—a good barometer of where we are.

As for T2X's assertions ... when it comes to the development of high-performance boats, anyone would be a fool to argue with the guy. First, he lived it. Second, he always has his facts straight.

I would, however, gently suggest that Mr. Fountain is a bit more than a "good country boat builder." Despite Fountain's current struggle, his success in production boat building is unmatched. He has outlasted Baja and Donzi. Sure, you can cite any number of reasons for that, but the fact remains.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Do something worthwhile!

Thank You to those OSO'ers who realize what a gentleman and leader Reggie Fountain is to this industry and sport. His knowledge, dedication, innovation and committment to this sport are the things great men are made of! His record and accomplishments say it all!
Those of you who spend to much time twittering on the net and taking cheap shots at those in our sport who are really the basis for the sport, you need to re-evaluate your thinking and actions and take more time helping make things better for all of us.
Quit the damn sniping and get to Work!!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me one builder that has been at the front of the pack with speed records for a longer period of time than Fountain ? only one old enough to count the years is T2x!

RHC
Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RHC
Tell me one builder that has been at the front of the pack with speed records for a longer period of time than Fountain ? only one old enough to count the years is T2x!

RHC
Skater, Allison and Buzzi
Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love him or hate he's taken technology and performance to a level in this sport that it wouldn't have gotten too without him. I've owned 2 Fountains and both were great boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.