Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213542-fountain-questions.html)

Zekester 07-23-2009 11:35 AM

Fountain questions

new to the forum, I have owned various Sundancers over the years, and am now playing with a small Donzi Hornet 3, I'm looking for something different...

I'm looking for a fountain, 35 to 42 feet, but they are hard to come by in my location, to even look at....Can someone tell me what the differences are between Fever, Executioner, Sport Cruiser and Lightening? What is the headroom in all these boats?

what year did stepped hulls start?

Any help would be appreciated....

monstaaa 07-23-2009 12:16 PM

fever is a straight bottom, executioner is a single step. depending on year sport cruiser is just that. the newer ones are a hull by itself built for speed and in true cruiser style. the older cruiser was a raised deck version of the lightning's.
cruisers have about 6 foot .lightnings and executioners are about4 foot or so.

PJDiesel 07-23-2009 12:17 PM

What is your location?

Sport Cruiser is a raised deck height boat on a lightning hull (91-2003 I think) Steps in the lightning hull began in 1995, changed a few times thereafter.

My boat could be for sale very soon, if you decide to go with an SC, totally turn key on aluminum trailer, fresh rebuilds and very reasonably priced (below $40K).

sommerfliesby 07-23-2009 12:18 PM

Headroom is at a premium in all but the Sport Cruiser in those lengths. The 42 Lightning would be second, followed by the 38. Fever is an older model in the 38 foot length...nowadays they are Lightnings. 42 and 35 both come in Ex and Ltng trims...Ex's have a walkway around the deck and a lower deck and windscreens, while Ltng's generally have windshields. The hulls are the same, tho.

Not sure about the twin steps, but my 95 was the first year of stepping the 35 hull...I think they went to twins in 99 or 00.

PJDiesel 07-23-2009 12:19 PM

To add to what monstaa said, there are NO "new" Sport Cruises, they were dropped and Fountain began building a true Express Cruiser. Totally different boat, wide beam, big money.

Von Bongo 07-23-2009 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by monstaaa (Post 2916530)
executioner is a single step.

On the 35's. On the 42's the Ex and the lightning are both twin steps.

Zekester 07-23-2009 12:30 PM

Appreciate all your comments, learned a lot in 5 minutes....

Keep 'em coming : )

What is the performance of the sport cruiser? I'm not a tall guy, 5-5, so the question of headroom isn't that big an issue, as long as the below is in fact usable in the Ex and Lightening...

PJDiesel 07-23-2009 12:36 PM

Sport cruiser is going to have ALL the amenities of a cruiser (literally).

I have heat & A/C, 4KW generator, 10 gallon water heater, microwave, glass cook top, refrigerator, stand up head with shower, triple bank battery charger, LCD TV with HD antenna, 40 gallons of fresh water, etc.

Most other 38'+ Fountains will have very little to NONE of that. Which, makes them very very light when compared to me.

My cruise is 38 MPH, probably a minimum of 10MPH slower than most other Fountains.

mmareno 07-23-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zekester (Post 2916551)
Appreciate all your comments, learned a lot in 5 minutes....

Keep 'em coming : )

What is the performance of the sport cruiser? I'm not a tall guy, 5-5, so the question of headroom isn't that big an issue, as long as the below is in fact usable in the Ex and Lightening...

I got a buddy that has a 42 executioner for sale. Its an 05' MINT... I am not sure what he is asking but I can put you in touch with him. Always kept inside. Never run hard. RELIABLE POWER!! Sounds like this boat is perfect for what you are looking for. Real nice interior!

Let me know I can put you in touch with him!!

PJDiesel 07-23-2009 12:40 PM

Right now I am around 58 in good conditions, but can also roll straight through most waves with all the weight I am running. She is a Cadillac in the rough. With better props, I should be topping out a little over 60 @ 5000K RPM'S (again, embarrassingly slow compared to most here).

BUT, about double what the bigger (34'+) "regular" cruisers top out at.