Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Recall for faulty equipment.  Mine included! >

Recall for faulty equipment. Mine included!

Notices

Recall for faulty equipment. Mine included!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recall for faulty equipment. Mine included!

I wonder how these big companies can put products on the market without proper testing. I have had recalls on cars i owned before but never one like this.
We got a letter that the wire leads going to my heart from my defribulator are on factory recall. The problem is they fracture over time and the cracks in the leads send a false reading to the defribulator. The defribulator thinks the person is going into cardiac arrest and it shocks the heart!

They said in several of the ones that had these problems would go off continuously until the person was brought to the hospital which is the only way to turn it off.

I have been shocked twice since i have this thing, both on the boat when by myself and the shock is like nothing you ever felt before. The first shock surprises the crap out of you and makes you think you touched an open circuit and got shocked. The 2nd one which is 30 seconds later is twice as strong as the first and I can only describe it by saying it feels like you were kicked by a horse in the chest. The 3rd zapp, again stronger, basically knocks you off your feet! Just like on tv when the doctor says "CLEAR" and the person bounces off the 12" off the floor. The 4th which I only experienced one time was like getting hit by a semi doing 80.
You can hear the electrical "CRACK" through your whole body that sounds like an explosion that only you can hear. It feels like a lightning strike right next to you. Besides the pain, your also scared to death that you are going to die. Your going into cardiac arrest so your not sure what's going to happen.
I remember staying perfectly still in between shocks trying to slow my heart rate down, praying to God it won't go off again while your begging for your life!
The next day every joint in everyone of your toes is in agony. Everything hurts. But as bad as it hurts your the most grateful person on earth as you know what the alternative would have been.
I could not imagine having the defibulator go off and continue to go off with out it stopping. I think at that point you would want to die.
This has been a year of hell worring about this recall. i gave up flying in fear of the defribulator going off while in the air. I gave up boating alone, the last episode was enough. I have been afraid to do anything to strenuous that could possibly set it off. It has really restricted me from doing a lot of things.

We'll I finally got the recalled leads changed out! I no have to worry about getting zapped while washing my car. I have a few weeks of recovering but that's much better then living with the fear I have had.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear Gino- WTF is right
Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the story when you first got whacked scarey stuff hope all is well now
Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered

Hi I'm Mrs. Blue Thunder and he thought this would be of interest to me since I an a Pacemaker/Defibrillator technician. I test and program the devices. This is common for patients who have received therapy shocks from their devices to feel anxiety. What I tell patients is that getting the devices are to improve quality of life not be a hinder. I was wondering if the shocks you received was appropriate? Was your rhythm a lethal rhythm? If it wasn't appropriate my other question would be can they program your device so that doesn't happen again. (There are ways to program the device not to shock on non lethal rhythms). The leads that are recalled and along with other leads are made by humans including the material they use on the outside of these leads. I can say I'm impressed with the company's response to the Alert on the leads to let the MD offices know as soon as it was an issue. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer. Take care and remember that your device it their to save your life.
Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I wonder how these big companies can put products on the market without proper testing. I have had recalls on cars i owned before but never one like this.
We got a letter that the wire leads going to my heart from my defribulator are on factory recall. The problem is they fracture over time and the cracks in the leads send a false reading to the defribulator. The defribulator thinks the person is going into cardiac arrest and it shocks the heart!

They said in several of the ones that had these problems would go off continuously until the person was brought to the hospital which is the only way to turn it off.

I have been shocked twice since i have this thing, both on the boat when by myself and the shock is like nothing you ever felt before. The first shock surprises the crap out of you and makes you think you touched an open circuit and got shocked. The 2nd one which is 30 seconds later is twice as strong as the first and I can only describe it by saying it feels like you were kicked by a horse in the chest. The 3rd zapp, again stronger, basically knocks you off your feet! Just like on tv when the doctor says "CLEAR" and the person bounces off the 12" off the floor. The 4th which I only experienced one time was like getting hit by a semi doing 80.
You can hear the electrical "CRACK" through your whole body that sounds like an explosion that only you can hear. It feels like a lightning strike right next to you. Besides the pain, your also scared to death that you are going to die. Your going into cardiac arrest so your not sure what's going to happen.
I remember staying perfectly still in between shocks trying to slow my heart rate down, praying to God it won't go off again while your begging for your life!
The next day every joint in everyone of your toes is in agony. Everything hurts. But as bad as it hurts your the most grateful person on earth as you know what the alternative would have been.
I could not imagine having the defibulator go off and continue to go off with out it stopping. I think at that point you would want to die.
This has been a year of hell worring about this recall. i gave up flying in fear of the defribulator going off while in the air. I gave up boating alone, the last episode was enough. I have been afraid to do anything to strenuous that could possibly set it off. It has really restricted me from doing a lot of things.

We'll I finally got the recalled leads changed out! I no have to worry about getting zapped while washing my car. I have a few weeks of recovering but that's much better then living with the fear I have had.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Gino And Luck

HEY GINO ! Please post if you ever have any good luck.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Hi I'm Mrs. Blue Thunder and he thought this would be of interest to me since I an a Pacemaker/Defibrillator technician. I test and program the devices. This is common for patients who have received therapy shocks from their devices to feel anxiety. What I tell patients is that getting the devices are to improve quality of life not be a hinder. I was wondering if the shocks you received was appropriate? Was your rhythm a lethal rhythm? If it wasn't appropriate my other question would be can they program your device so that doesn't happen again. (There are ways to program the device not to shock on non lethal rhythms). The leads that are recalled and along with other leads are made by humans including the material they use on the outside of these leads. I can say I'm impressed with the company's response to the Alert on the leads to let the MD offices know as soon as it was an issue. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer. Take care and remember that your device it their to save your life.
Hi, Actually, the shocks i received the first time were approp. The ones the 2nd time were not. The 2nd time which seemed much worse being zapped 4 times were not necessary.
I'll tell you the second episode really screwed me up. I have very bad claustrophobia, i can't get on a plane, any confined area and i start to panic. I never had these issues before!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
HEY GINO ! Please post if you ever have any good luck.
This is good luck!! All my storys end up pretty good!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just amazes me how anything produced can be cheaped out on. A medical device for someones well being. Lets just use the cheapest parts we can find....

Gino, glad to hear your all fixed up, hopefully no more inappropriate shock therapy for you.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Damn Man, your life is an adventure!! Glad to hear you're doing well and the problem is resolved.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

They should make a movie, The life and times of Gino. i know i would pay to see that, Gino just glad that you are ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.