Notices

Sound System!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO best bang for the buck with speakers are the Polk's (either DB or MOMO)... a little more expensive than Clarions but cheaper than JL and sound just as good, especially when you compare them to the JL marine stuff. The other thing is that the Clarions are 7" and not many others make 7" speakers, so when you do realize they suck then you have a hole too big to put good speakers in. Don't do free air subs. I have never herd any that sounded good, at least not as good as my 1 12" in a sealed box, go through the effort of building a box to spec, you will be happy you did.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just re-did the speakers in ours and we went with wet sound speakers. (4) 6.5's and a 10" sub....Must say I am very impressed with the sound quality. They sound a hell of a lot better than the MB Quarts that were put in the boat from the factory. Super loud!....Still using a single MB Quart RAA4200 amp for everything. Might wanna give them a look.

www.wetsounds.com
Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Clarion M475 head unit. No problems with it at all. Also have the ipod kit for it....that's not quite as good. Couple hard hits on the waves last summer and it wouldn't sync with my ipod anymore. Still works....just have to run off the ipod (which I find much easier anyway). Keeps it charged though. Speaker wise, I'm very happy with my JL Audio 6.5's and 10" sub. I power it all with a Memphis Belle 5 channel marine amp.

Whatever you go with, make sure you spend the cash on a quality amp....hard to cook speakers by overpowering....way easier to waste them cranking up on crappy power too far and clipping the amp.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

What about Rockford fosgate m162c components... 150w rms... I've always heard good things about them! Plus they are only $120 a set!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered

Check out Memphis Marine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6-6.5"
4-8"
2-12"
All powered by ONE Memphis Belle amp. Crisp and LOUD!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered

decided on MTX stuff...

I am getting
2-12" 400W Subs running at ~350W
2 pairs of 5.25" Components running at 100W
All of those running off a 4ch Crunch 900W amp (running at 2ohm at 3 ch, 2 stereo channels, and one mono)

Now my question is... I have a spot for a p[air of 2 6x9s that is already cut out... so I am for sure getting 1 pair. I am going to run these off of my headunit which puts out 53W X 4 channels. So I will use two of those channels for those 2 speakers. Would it be worth to get another set of the 6x9s and put them under the rear seat and running off of the other 2 channels. Would it fill the sound out better and make it louder, sound better?

O BTW the 6x9's are MTX XT693.

Thanks for the help!