Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sound System! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213779-sound-system.html)

Want Speed 07-27-2009 02:35 PM

Sound System!

Looking at getting a soun d system for a boat I am about to pick up. It is a 27' Mirage. It has a fairly big cockpit and a big ol' sun deck over the engines...

I am thinking about getting the following (on a budget)
Clarion M475 Headunit
Clarion Wired Remote (and extension cable)
4- 7" 2-way Speakers
2-10" Subs (Could I get away with just one?)
720W Amp 4/3/2 (speakers)
360W Amp 2ch (subs)

Also how important is it to go with marine grade amps? I know speakers are probably important because they are in the open cockpit, but the amps I was going to stick in the cabin under the seats...

Thanks

Want Speed 07-27-2009 02:47 PM

I also just priced out using non marine amps...and I added 2 more of the 7" speakers and got it for $50 more then the above package...

SO... 6-7" 2 way Clarion Marine Speakers and then 2-10" Clarion Marine Subs

Which would be the way to go?

89Mach1 07-27-2009 07:09 PM

I've always used non-marine amps. I always mount them in the cuddy somewhere and they are always dry. Never had a problem and I'm still using amps from 5 years ago. As for your speakers, I'm not sure. I have a friend that's really into that kinda stuff and I just let him do what he does best.... MAKE IT LOUD! I know I have 2- 12" kickers and 2- 6x9's in the rear bench, 2- 6 1/2's on each side of the boat, 2- tweeters behind the windscreen facing towards the back of the boat and 2- remote 6x9's that I put on the bow and face backwards. I also just installed a capacitor per my buddy's request so big hits will come off of that instead of the batteries. I run 2 amps, no idea what kind or watts, but I do know I can crank the music for about 5-6 hours without a recharge and I also have 2 series 29 batteries (from walmart) just for the stereo. You can hear it clear as day and loud about 5 boats over.

Catmando 07-27-2009 08:52 PM

Give Justin a call at www.wavesandwheels.net.

Griff 07-28-2009 01:50 AM

I have the M475 and is good basic head unit. I also have the wired remote that goes with it.

I have never used marine amps. I'm currently using Alpine PDX amps and highly recommend them. The have a low power draw, don't get very hot and put out tons of power.

Subs???? It depends on if you're going to run free air or boxed. Free air...go with 2 for sure. I running the Alpine marine 10" subs. They sound as good as any 10" free air ever will.

Speakers???? I run DC Golds. Full waterproof and a 3 year warranty and sound great. You could start with (4) 7's and add 4 more later and run them all off one pdx 150 amp. Then run the subs off a pdx 1.600.
Lots of people really like the JL Audio as well.

Most of the stuff is available on ebay a lot cheaper than you will ever find it in a store. The dc golds ar echeapest at www.lafayetteradio.com

Want Speed 07-28-2009 01:08 PM

The M475 is it easy to hook up an ipod connection to it?

I am pretty set on the speakers I picked out, I have always liked clarion stuff...

The subs will probably be free air, unless I decide to fiberglass a box into the existing wall under the seat.

Thanks for the help!

apppedigree 07-28-2009 01:44 PM

JL Marine subs and those 7.7 components will kick your ass. I have 4 of them and 2 12" JL subs in ported boxes mounted in the tunnels of the skater. It is loud. Like a jiggyboo.

jima97 07-28-2009 03:36 PM

JL Audio is the answer!
M1700 with a couple M10IB5's and a M4500 with a couple sets of M770 componets and it'll rock!

Griff 07-28-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Want Speed (Post 2919892)
The M475 is it easy to hook up an ipod connection to it?

I am pretty set on the speakers I picked out, I have always liked clarion stuff...

The subs will probably be free air, unless I decide to fiberglass a box into the existing wall under the seat.

Thanks for the help!

It has a plug in the front of the head unit for an Ipod or you can get a different clarion kit to wire it permanently.

Clarion Marine Speakers pretty much SUCK!!!!

You will not be disappointed with the DCGolds or JL's. Four of either will sound better than 6 Clarions. Even the Alpine Marines will sound better. My Alpine Subs sound very good and blow away the Clarion Subs and will handle double the power, for not much more money.

sunchaser796 07-28-2009 10:12 PM

JL speakers do sound awesome with JL amps. Did a setup in a MIDNITE CENTER CONSOLE. BUt if you want a sound system that will put alot of stereo system to shame, GO ALPINE MARINE ! 4 6.5", 2 7" and 2 10" subs. This all in the cockpit. 1 4 channel amp and one single channel amp for the subs. Alpine head unit. Complete digital system. You can crank this system to the max and no distorting whats so ever and clear as a bell. Its not a cheap system but well worth the money if you want real sound from a system NEst step down is the JL system along with CADENCE speakers and amps. Have install all three systems, but alpine is #1 on the list.