Scarab KV......interesting >

Scarab KV......interesting

Notices

Scarab KV......interesting

Old 04-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Scarab KV......interesting

Just thought I would share this story with the board and get some feed back. I came across a 1980 Scarab KV probably Larry smith model today. It is in a storage yard and it appears the guy that owns it hasn't paid his storage fee's in like 2 years! The owners of the storage facility are going to put a lean hold on it and sell it.

It's in pretty bad shape, neglect mostly from sitting out in the sun with just a cover on it, but it's not terrible. It's got TRS drives, external steering, looks to have 540's but theres water in both motors. Pretty new CMI Exhaust headers, but you can tell these motors havent been turned over in a few years....Theres rust forming on the pullys even! The cockpit is done, mold, and rot. The cabin is suprisingly in good shape. Didn't look to have any rot in the hull that we could hear or see. It has a newer paint scheme (newer like from the late 80's/early 90's) and is sitting on a semi nice trailer.

If this boat could be picked up for next to nothing like it looks like it can be what do you guys think it would cost to re-do the whole thing??

We have two new 540's and bravo's that we'll throw in it but what we'd like to do is stagger the motors tear the whole cockpit out and re-do/update it. then tear out the whole cabin to lighten like a factory race boat. Plus new paint.

How much? Bye the way, the boats name is "twist and shout" anyone ever heard of this boat?? It's currently white with the miami 80's style light blue and pink stripes down the sides. Any ideas??

Tank
Old 04-02-2002, 03:16 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is gonna be heavy!!!!!

the old flat deck 377 (1980 38' not sure if its the same as a KV) weighed in at about 9800lbs dry. SO they are heavy plu the old bottoms are slow.

It would however ride like a cadillac. If you did it right might be a very nice boat. Why woudl you want to bravos in it? Big power plus big heavy boat is goign to break bravos. Se if you can find some SSM3 drives. It is already set up for engiens with trannies. And SSM3 non crescent drievs ar epretty cheap now. You could most liely reuse the existing tranies and such.

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-02-2002, 07:22 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

puder is right, . . they are pretty heavy.a friend of mine had one with 800+ blower motors. i think the best he saw was low 80's. they do run the big water with now prob though.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:40 AM
Registered

Yea, I figured it is going to be heavier than a mo-fo.

My friend has extra bravos and a gang of parts laying around his shop so he wants to put them in...........Though you have a good point #3's would be the way to go, he already has them on his scarab because he got sick of blowing bravos! We'll see what happens.

Tank
Old 04-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

No more than 15K as it sits.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Registered

I'm thinking it's going to be well under 15k
But how much is it going to cost to gut this whole thing? If most of the work is done ourselves, except for the new paint and intererior. That we would have to bid out.

What do you think it's gonna cost to tear everything out, paint and intererior work, tear all the electrical out and start over pull the motors/drives seal up the transom tear out the whole cockpit put new updated dash and intererior in and tear out the cabin??
Old 04-02-2002, 09:21 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

tank from whati've heard of projects like that whatever you guesstimate turns out to be double it and you should be right on for the final price.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

i did a similiar project, but everything was out already....to put in a custom interior, install the motors, redo wiring, gauges, panels....etc.........i would say 30k and thats being conservative. most of the $ will be in labor.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I have a good pair of SSM III's, cresent style, at a great price
Old 04-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the same thing your talking about, Mine is a 1982 Scarab 38. I've replaced everything from stringers, bulkheads, cockpit, motors, cabin and I have a ton of money in it, even though I did the work myself. I can guarantee that the cabin stringer from the bulkhead under the dash to the second bulkhead back is rotten, and possibly more. Any questions give me a call. 734-625-0727. Todd

Quick Reply: Scarab KV......interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.