750-800hp SC 540 and new drive
2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Plan B - need opinions

Old 04-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you upgrade count on a summer long project and plan on keeping it for another 3 or 4 years.

If it was faster would you still want to sell it?
Old 04-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

Default Credit where it's due

There is no question that a big inch- or any inch custom engine by a good builder with all the right pieces is a sweet set-up- although a little spendy. Resale can be tough if you don't stick with prominent names, many of which are familiar to this board.

Don't overlook that the 454 mag EFI is the same long block as merc used for the 525SC. Several reputable board engine guys and columnists have commented that the 525SC can easily be upgraded to a reliable 600 HP with intercooling, more boost and tuning. The Whipple / 454magefi is at 625, not a far reach, no doubt made safer, reliable and attainable thru the benefits of intercooling, EFI, computer controls, knock sensors, EGT monitoring etc.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse- many are unaware of the connection between the 454mag and the 525SC and this info is intended to help with informed decisions.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Ron P
If it was faster would you still want to sell it?
I would probably be happy if it did 70mph. We'd like to take it to some other lakes for poker runs a couple times a year. Mostly lake or smooth water stuff. Not looking to do 80+mph in 4 footers offshore in a 29'. But currently, 53mph just doesn't sound like we'd have that much fun though. I think either the whipple or the 540 would get me close, but I'd have to be trimmed out at WOT.

Other than the speed thing, the boat really fits our *needs* ok. It's got a nice graphic job, stereo, rides OK for it's size. Would I still want a cig or a 35' fountain, yes. I also want a Viper, a Porche, a Road King, and a host of other toys, but I'm *reasonably* happy with my Dodge truck if that makes sense.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:56 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Then if you like the boat, make it go as fast as you want and worry about the resale value when it's time to cross that bridge.

There are things we want and others that we need. Sounds like you want a Top Gun but need to go 70mph. Fill the need for speed.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:55 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Steve,

See if Charlene is willing to part with that 43' Scarab, I offered her $55k a month ago and I"m going down $10k every 6 months!! Haven't checked recently, but last year it was worth about $90k in NADA's guide, but she's still asking almost twice that figure. HA!!

Friend here selling their 1990 28' Scarab Excel, top speed is 65 MPH, has a new big block. Selling because a set of twin girls is due to arrive in July. It's my original Scarab actually, let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you guys up.

I empathize with your dilemma, good luck either way you go.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."