Notices

Cerberus no more?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cerberus no more?

Just an idle thought, as I was spending my Friday cruising the classifieds...

What happened to all the triple engine boats? Seems like not too long ago, there were any number of manufacturers that built triple engine models - Fountain, Donzi, Formula, etc. I think you could get triples in something as "small" as an OL 39. Now it looks like most or all of those models are long gone.

Obviously a triple is going to be an expensive proposition both up front and running; is that the reason they are an endangered species? I'll admit to lusting over that Donzi 45 ZX Daytona in the classifieds - triple 500 EFIs and room for the whole family...
Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I think it solely rests in the fact that the reliability and useablity of the High HP stuff has improved so much in the last 10 years that there is NO reason to have 3 engines/transom Assemblies/transmissions/drives/propellers/rigging.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I think it solely rests in the fact that the reliability and useablity of the High HP stuff has improved so much in the last 10 years that there is NO reason to have 3 engines/transom Assemblies/transmissions/drives/propellers/rigging.
wonder what the perf diff is between a trip marauder & a twin?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
wonder what the perf diff is between a trip marauder & a twin?
You thinking of making a move??

On a serious note I have always wondered on the "smaller" HP stuff what the difference is.

I mean if you have 3 stock 496's how does that boat compare to someone with 2 stock 496's in the same boat. In the case of newer bigger power going from twin 1075's to triple 1075's you overcome the weight, drag, and CG change PRETTY damn quickly, but "only" adding 400-450 HP wouldn't overcome it very quickly.

Anyone with any real world commentary?? Same Boat, Same Power, trip vs. twin?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Third engine usually adds 10-15mph.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

I'd rather have 3 small reliable engines and drives than 2 big engines and drive you can't find parts overnight and cost more than twice the regular engine and drive set up...

At cruising speed , I doubt it makes a noticeable difference. but that's just my guess, unfortunatly never lived the difference in true life...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

I went from twins to trips but also a larger boat. I must say that I am extremely happy with the trips. If one breaks, I can still get home on two. I can plane on two and still run 45 without laboring the motors too much. On the 38 with twins, I could never get on plane with just one. Ownership cost are higher but not that much higher. Fuel consumption while cruising is surprisingly good (in comparison) but WOT is another story.

When you go to a newer staggered boat (instead of trips} they are usually larger horsepower, need larger drives, higher planing speed, and less maneuverability around the docks.

Depending on the power you select, twins will be as much if not more than trips. Yes I know three like power plants cost more than two, but two will not perform the same as three so you will need larger motors for a twin setup.

You also have the reliability factor as you increase the horsepower. If your total focus is speed, then twins is the way to go. If you are interested in using your boat for other things such as long distance cruising (such as we do with ours) then trips make more sense.

I have been running trips for over four years and I can tell you, when I had an issue out in the gulf coming back from Key West (60 miles from the mainland) and came back on two cruising at 40-45 instead of limping home at 10-15, I will never want a twin boat again.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kr1276
I went from twins to trips but also a larger boat. I must say that I am extremely happy with the trips. If one breaks, I can still get home on two. I can plane on two and still run 45 without laboring the motors too much. On the 38 with twins, I could never get on plane with just one. Ownership cost are higher but not that much higher. Fuel consumption while cruising is surprisingly good (in comparison) but WOT is another story.

When you go to a newer staggered boat (instead of trips} they are usually larger horsepower, need larger drives, higher planing speed, and less maneuverability around the docks.

Depending on the power you select, twins will be as much if not more than trips. Yes I know three like power plants cost more than two, but two will not perform the same as three so you will need larger motors for a twin setup.

You also have the reliability factor as you increase the horsepower. If your total focus is speed, then twins is the way to go. If you are interested in using your boat for other things such as long distance cruising (such as we do with ours) then trips make more sense.

I have been running trips for over four years and I can tell you, when I had an issue out in the gulf coming back from Key West (60 miles from the mainland) and came back on two cruising at 40-45 instead of limping home at 10-15, I will never want a twin boat again.

All good points and I am a big fan of trips as well.

Bob
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

wish I could try one...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bob, don't you have twins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.