Thinking about starting my own company >

Thinking about starting my own company

Notices

Thinking about starting my own company

Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

but before you buy an old donzi or something like it, price out everything you will need to do a complete restoration and i mean everything. material, tools, tow vehicle, parts, paint, etc.

Add those numbers up, then triple it. This will give you a ballpark (a conservative one at that) of how much money it will cost you.

if it were me and i HAD to buy a boat now and I were 17 years old, i probably would have done (or attempted) something like you are talking about.

But knowing what i know now, i would buy something reliable and low maintenance that could get me out on the water immediately. Then, if that didn't scratch my itch enough, i would work on doing a project boat.

It's much easier to do a project and do it right if you have a running boat to use while you restore.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aquinosteven
I have alway loved boats even since ive been little and i wanna take it a step further. What i would like to is buy older high performance boats and restore them to better then new condition but have all modern parts. Kinda like a resto-mod thing. Instead of using carbed motors i would really like to use the vortec 6.0 or 5.3. They are great motors and are easy to pull power out of. Will i be able to make these motors marine ready? Im not looking to make 1000hp but i would like to place them in 16-22 foot Donzi classics. Im only 17 on a student budget but i think with a little time i would hopefully like to see it grow to the point where i would be able to produce my own hulls. The whole concept of the company is a classic performance boat with modern power and reliability. I guess if all goes well i will take custom orders and maybe produces manufacture themed boats. SS, Hemi, or Shelby. It sounds REALLY ambitious but its what i wanna do. I know everyone uses there last name for the company name but Aquino isnt exactly performance material haha. Let me know what you think. My main question is "Will people want the product?"
You know for 17 your a bright young man. You have watched the trends in the automotive world and you know it fits into the marine world some where and your absolutely right in many of your idea's. Here's what I can tell you the rebirth of our industry will revert back to some smaller boats and some wise OEM's already realize this.

The financial sector of america is going to be held tight for a number of years and it will be a great while before we see the days of easy money and refinance to fuel our boating pleasures. Beyond that interest rates are going to climb along with inflation and it will limit many households boat buying power. The trying economy has flooded the boat market with great values. Remember a great many companies are built through the most trying of times. But more than that remember that many of the worlds best idea's and inventions came from people who were told their dream would never work. Sometimes the idea wasn't bad it just maybe needed refining.

But where your right on the money is in todays engine technology. The LS series engine by GM is going to recreate the 500HP and below market. Its going to increase affordability and reliability as well as a weight savings. It would have replaced the 496 by now but Mercury's investment to finalize that project under their own trying times has been shelved.

But know this great boat companies were and will be built by forward thinking men with passion and a pulse in the market like yourself. Regardless of what or how you journey your future I feel confident your thoughts are good. The boat business has been built on passion by people who loved it maybe more than the right decision. I feel confident there are many better ways to make money but maybe just maybe none that you will enjoy as much. Myself and most of my staff do this because we love it I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Registered

Thanks that means alot coming from successful company. I have been around theses boats even since i was a little kid. I could always pick out little flaws and find things that can be improved upon. Hopefully this hobby will take me right next to some of the big name companies they everyone knows. Ill keep everyone on here updated on my progress. I will have a TON of questions, there is never enough to learn when making something fast, go faster. It may take 30 years to build this company up but if I make everything to perfection then there wont be any problems getting there.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Sure people would want the product - BUT:

No one in the history of the world has ever come out ahead on restoring a powerboat unless they got the hull free, and happened to have an extra drivetrain lying around. Lots of members on here with bleeding wallets to verify it!!

OH - and what Shore Thing said is true about the degree.

Ya another college grad working at BurgerKing.. This advice coming from clock punchers. Hey kid follow your dreams thats how America was built. Dont be another robot.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, ive got a long way to go until i would consider myself a company. For now im just gonna be that kid building boats out of his garage. Hopefully in a few years i will have a site, fan base, a clients, a decent income, and a spot on the NJ boat show floor. Those spots im thinking cost TONS of money but will do wonders to your reputation. Hopefully everyone will see handmade quality work not from a big manufacture but from a handful of people who know how to make boats. Even if it takes me a year to complete a boat, its gonna be done right.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

I posted up on the truck side.. You have a good idea going on... Best of luck..

John jr
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Registered

Yeah the guys at PT.net are gonna help me out with the 6.0 marine conversion if its possible. You guys here are gonna help me with the boat side of things. Its good to see some guys on both though haha
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Aquinosteven
Yeah the guys at PT.net are gonna help me out with the 6.0 marine conversion if its possible. You guys here are gonna help me with the boat side of things. Its good to see some guys on both though haha
LOl I hear ya... I am the same as you. Been living on the water, had boats since I was born... They are a big part in me life, well making trucks go fast

John jr
Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered

Same, its always been big loud fast trucks and boats haha
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hardin Marine
You know for 17 your a bright young man. You have watched the trends in the automotive world and you know it fits into the marine world some where and your absolutely right in many of your idea's. Here's what I can tell you the rebirth of our industry will revert back to some smaller boats and some wise OEM's already realize this.

The financial sector of america is going to be held tight for a number of years and it will be a great while before we see the days of easy money and refinance to fuel our boating pleasures. Beyond that interest rates are going to climb along with inflation and it will limit many households boat buying power. The trying economy has flooded the boat market with great values. Remember a great many companies are built through the most trying of times. But more than that remember that many of the worlds best idea's and inventions came from people who were told their dream would never work. Sometimes the idea wasn't bad it just maybe needed refining.

But where your right on the money is in todays engine technology. The LS series engine by GM is going to recreate the 500HP and below market. Its going to increase affordability and reliability as well as a weight savings. It would have replaced the 496 by now but Mercury's investment to finalize that project under their own trying times has been shelved.

But know this great boat companies were and will be built by forward thinking men with passion and a pulse in the market like yourself. Regardless of what or how you journey your future I feel confident your thoughts are good. The boat business has been built on passion by people who loved it maybe more than the right decision. I feel confident there are many better ways to make money but maybe just maybe none that you will enjoy as much. Myself and most of my staff do this because we love it I wish you the best of luck.
Very well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.