The super high performance boating industry

Notices

The super high performance boating industry

Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The super high performance boating industry

Hi All,

I love being around the water, and more especially boating. I'm fresh out of college with a business degree. I have no problems going back to school to get some technical knowledge of marine piston engines, turbines, drives, hull design advantages, etc, etc.

What is the best way to get into this industry? I'm mechanically inclined and love getting my hand dirty. However I know that working with your hands can only get you so far, you'll have to own/manage your own business. So maybe taking the road of working for a builder/tuning shop could be a good start.

Eventually becoming a custom superboat builder would be amazing. Has anyone taken this path in life? If so, how did it turn out for you, what are the pros, and more importantly the cons of this industry?

Any tips are greatly appreciated for someone eager and ambitious about entering this industry.

Last edited by mack77; 08-11-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mack77
Has anyone taken this path in life? If so, how did it turn out for you, what are the pros, and more importantly the cons of this industry?

Any tips are greatly appreciated for someone eager and ambitious about entering this industry.
Don Aronow took that path. He was shot.

The best way to make a million in the boat business is to start with 2 million.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dredgeking

Welcome to the forum Mack.

I would suggest contacting some of the builders you see advertised on here and see if they have anything to offer in regard to getting involved in the business. Maybe donate your time at pokers runs for the purpose of meeting some people that could assist.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mack,

The easiest way to get in the boat business is to make yourself available to do what is asked of you. The second biggest asset in the business is passion and pride in what you do. Obviously you need to have good skill sets, but the willingness to learn, and the ability to do all is extremely important.

You are not going to walk into any manufacturer and get a job on the front lines without experience, but every job that you can get and do is a building block to the next level.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$

And if that doesn't work try putting more money into it.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when someone calls you........................................ Call them back.... Big help in this industry.. Select few know how to use the phone... Most have credit card machines and have a master degree in using it!!

Response to the consumer is what I always see happening to us.. Hard to get people to return the call!! In this industry we want to be your customer for life.. Never one and done.. Seems like I go from one place to the other because I get annoyed at the lack or response and then say" I guess my money is no good to them" AND GO TO THE NEXT ONE!!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dredgeking

A very comforting, positive piece of advice you've offered there.....

You need to move to Florida, or somewhere that you have the most options to land a job with a HP boat builder or affiliate. You'll likely start out as a grunt, and like AnimalHouse said, you'll start to advance from there as opportunites become available.

To DredgeKings point, I'd avoid the drug/organized crime/shady side of the business to avoid adding a few new holes to your chasis.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,605 Likes on 3,769 Posts

While it maybe a passion, and sound really cool, take a deep breath and take in reality, the boating industry, IS Hurting!
Guys that have been around the block many times are scatching the heads wondering how much worse it can get.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Registered

Red face

Thanks for the replies! I'm doing a lot of online research to find out WHAT the differnent careers are in this industry. I've found the basics, but what exactly can you do, and aspire to?

I've found the MMI Institute in Orlando, this could be a great way to get hands on techincal skills. Anyone know about them?

http://www.uti.edu/Marine/tabid/60/Default.aspx
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I have no idea how much truth is in what I say here but I would have to guess that your BEST chance at success, would be to go to work for one of the established manufacturers, learn the business, work your way up, and eventually buy into the company as ownership changes occur.

A start up business would require tremendous capital investment in additon to the knowledge, and the truth is that the HIPO marine industry, fueled by accomodating credit that was seen over the last decade, is forever changed, and will most likely NEVER return to it's free-wheeling ways.

In light of that, gaining ground in a startup business will always be incredibly tough and resource intensive. If I was to want to pursue it I would probably get my foot in the door somewhere with the intention of eventually gaining an equity interest in the company. I know that might not be what you want to hear but I think it would be your best chance for success.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.