Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Virginia Beach (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/214920-virginia-beach.html)

Stormrider 08-14-2009 02:17 PM

Virginia Beach

Anyone familiar w/ VA Beach?
Thinking of going next weekend w/ the family.
Decent hotel?? There's 5 in my gang.

seafordguy 08-14-2009 02:43 PM

There is one of the Hilton properties right on the beach.

I certainly wouldn't drive from NY to go to VA beach. Hell I live 45 minutes from VA beach and I have only been once in 28 years.

Pete280 08-14-2009 03:18 PM

easy there Seaford, if you havent been here in a couple years you dont know what your talking about. VB is a great town, I would'nt live anywhere else in the tidewater area.

we have a couple great festivals at the end of the summer that are worth checking out East Coast surfing championship, Rock n Roll half marathon and the American Music Festival.

That being said, Ocean City Md, is a couple hrs closer and has a lot to do also.

t500hps 08-14-2009 03:18 PM

I lived in that area while at college, let's just say the area can get kinda of "colorful" at night.....but I will admit my information is rather old. Not Right, has lived in a few areas and lives in Va Beach currently. If the general area is where you need to be (and have kids with you), I'd look for one of the hotels in Va. Beach city limits that actually face north up the Chesapeake bay.

WAIT A MINUTE!!! There is a Poker Run out of downtown Norfolk that weekend. Unless you really want to be at the beach, find a hotel room at Norfolk Waterside...it's only about 20 minutes from the ocean. Seafordguy, myself and roughly 60 boats will be there friday and sat nights.

Pete280 08-14-2009 03:23 PM

I'll be in Hilton Head next weekend, The city does a great job trying to maintain the family atmosphere but do not walk down atlantic ave after 9pm, stay on the boardwalk and your fine,

donzimanva 08-14-2009 03:42 PM

Big Poker Run next weekend. They are going to lunch at Bluewater in Hampton and then head over to Waterside I think? Anyway,,Virginia Beach is pretty great during the day. Ocean temps are pretty warm right now. Just watch out for the jellies. And I don't mean jello shots. At night,,,whole different story. Be careful on the street. As Not Right stated,,the boardwalk is nice and you can get into any restaurant or bar from the boardwalk. Take in the Marine Science Center, which is world class - I think anyway. Parasailing, dolphin cruises, jet ski rentals, - all the typical tourist stuff is available close by.

ACTIVESHACK 08-14-2009 04:00 PM

Most of my friends in the area go to Nags Head or Ocean City, Md. because for the very reason stated above. I don't want to go to a resort were you can't walk down the street after dark.

seafordguy 08-14-2009 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Not Right (Post 2931920)
easy there Seaford, if you havent been here in a couple years you dont know what your talking about. VB is a great town, I would'nt live anywhere else in the tidewater area.

we have a couple great festivals at the end of the summer that are worth checking out East Coast surfing championship, Rock n Roll half marathon and the American Music Festival.

That being said, Ocean City Md, is a couple hrs closer and has a lot to do also.

Allow me to restate. Agreed - much better place to live than vacation, and yes there are decent festivals throughout the year, but as a getaway for the weekend to hang out down on Atlantic Ave/the Beach area it isn't a great destination. It's brevity coupled with it's general appearance, and the fact that the the majority of hats are worn sideways make it a mediocre family vacation spot.

stormbauer 08-14-2009 04:01 PM

Very weird to hear everyone talking about the scene at night? I took my family there last year stayed right on beach. Walked to everything day and night and felt very save even with my smaller kids 2, 3 & 5!

Reckless32 08-14-2009 05:52 PM

Like any resort, it all depedns on what time of night, and who happens to be in town. This area overall i wouldn't trade for none including Ocean City where I've spent lots of time the past few years since we inherited a Memorial day week timeshare at Ocean Pines on the golf course. You're within striking distance of day trips to the outer banks, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country and the becah has it's water park called Ocean Breeze. The North Shore area is popular with the locals where I live near Lynnhaven Inlet. All depends on what you're looking to do, and how much activity. Bringing your boat?