Manatee update....

Old 04-03-2002, 06:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manatee update....

Article in the Orlando Sentinal says:
"Manatees surviving at a surprising rate."

Check out the article at www.orlandosentinal.com then do a search for "Manatees" and open the article dated for today.

Tried to post a link but couldn't get it to work. Sorry.

Last edited by Iggy; 04-03-2002 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Iggy,
You be da' man! Believe it or not, I just went to the Sentinel website and saw this same article, copied it and came here to post a "Manatee Update Post", LOL!!
I'm glad to see that another OSO Fl. member is actively monitering this BS Manatee issue, thanks for your time and effort. Interesting BTW, I went to the STM Club's web site to see what their spin was on this study, and there was NOTHING about this STUDY, or this article? You would think the STM CLub would be one of the 1st to hear about this GREAT NEWS, probobly participated in the study, and publish something about this on their website? Makes you go Hummmm
Thanks again IGGY,
MD
PS Here's the link right to the article
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...me%2Dheadlines

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 04-03-2002 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dean.
Glad I could help.
I been trying to keep up with it ever since you started posting about the STMC.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope the State does the right thing.
I'll bet they don't mention the study because they have no control over it's outcome and it would put hem out of business.
One form of dis-information is no information.

Last edited by Iggy; 04-03-2002 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not surprising...We've kind of known that for a while now. It's good to finally see the numbers through sound research, though.

The STM club's always quiet about good news like this...Ironic isn't it. I would think their club would be ecstatic about this. It would mean their demise, however, and cut the funding. They're probably feverishly at work trying to formulate a rebuttal or somehow discredit the information.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2002, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Exactly Iggy!!
My local liberal RAG newspaper, (Florida Today) in Brevard Co. WON'T even print stories like this because they are a Major Tree-Hugging publication. They NEVER print good news about the Manatee, Just B/S comments from the STM CLub's Brevard Rep. Sandra Clinger!! This is just another example of the TRUE Status of the Manatee, They are not Endangered @ all!
MD
Old 04-03-2002, 09:01 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I seriously hope some of these papers start to see the true storie and get TRUE information to help you guys out. The STM group is the feel good answer to lwhat they want to write. Nowever they are not looking at the impact on the area. What they currently have in the FT. Meyers area seemes to be sensible to me (from a outsiders point of view) I can leave from my buddies house in North Ft. Meyer and do the About 15min idle out the Kalusahatchy (sp) River then it is about a 5min tops idle away from shore and you can open her up. If they were to add more No wake I already talked to my buddy he is going to sell and move out. I have tried to instill in him the importance of getting active in this deal but he "does not have the time." I hope for him you guys are able to pull it off. I know you are fighting a up hill battle!!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dean, Iggy:

Check this chit out! I wonder how many of these were classified as boating related...when they were already sick and weak!

http://www.news-journalonline.com/2002/Mar/30/ENV1.htm
Old 04-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BD,
You would be amazed @ the stories about how many Manatees are designated "Watercraft Related Deaths", when it was NOTHING to do with a vessel. Go to www.cfwbrevard.org and look Under "information", read the article titled "The Scam". The lie has been going on for years!!!
MD
Old 04-03-2002, 11:09 AM
supercrash

I know there are many experts that will tell you that each manatee has a average of 5 different boat strikes on them....one animal was found with 50 different strikes on it.....They tell the animals apart by the scars they have...These scars are not from barges or locks...they are from skegs and props...This is just a FACT that you guys will never accept....I noticed the last manatee count that was done was rejected by Dean and the group because the numbers wern't right...or they counted at the wrong time....The fact remaines that most manatee have been hit by a boat prop....Another fact..is that we came and built our homes and businesses on the manatees long time home and now there is a problem.....do we make a change ...noway....we want the manatee to change...

Old 04-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just curious, SC...
Do you feel the same way about wood products???
Can you not draw paralellisms when we move into a forest to cut some lumber? Shall we really suscede to the environment or may we continue to make progress in civilization? Just wondering, thanks!

And again, please don't draw too quick a conclusion as to what we will accept and what we won't. I don't deny facts-Any of them!

Quick Reply: Manatee update....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.