Someone else's boat on my trailer dilemma

Notices

Someone else's boat on my trailer dilemma

Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I like the sea-trial and snatch idea!

However, this is the type of guy you don't want to piss off. It will come back to bite you. I'd give him a deadline with sound reasoning for needing the trailer. (I'm going on vacation and I am taking my boat on it's trailer.) If he doesn't move on this finite request, then it's time to take some strong actions to get your property back.

Are there any other boatyards close by with a forklift or a travel-lift that can remove it and place it on blocks?
Sydwayz, Good Ideas! Yes, their are other marinas in the area. If it doesn't work what kind of strong actions are available?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd stop in the local Sheriff's office and ask to speak with someone about the situation if the deadline doesn't work. Chances are, you are not the first to have an issue with this person/place.

After that, I'd just hire someone else to lift it off the trailer and place it exactly where it sits, on blocks. You don't want to risk damaging it by a crude method of removing it from the trailer. He could come after you legally or vengefully if something like that happens.

You also don't want to place it in the water. If it's not seaworthy, they are going to come after the one who launched it and the owner. You don't want to be a part of that mess either.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Nothing a rope and a tree can't fix...
thats some funny sh*t
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he is as shady as you eluded to then I would not hesitate to remove the boat from my trailer so I may regain possession of my property within 24 hours. He who hesitates will lose.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give him a dead line date. If the boat is still on the tralier after that. Hook to the boat haul it to the new location and tell him to get it off right now. If he still wont haul it back to the old location and dump it on the ground.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wobble
+1

+2
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gripit
I store my trailer in a boat yard for free and in return they were able to use it as a yard trailer. The boat yard has moved to a new location and now I want to pick up my trailer. Currently my trailer is sitting in front of the old location with a junker boat for sale resting on my trailer. I called the owner of the boat yard and he said he owns the boat and is on vacation and will make arrangements to get the boat off sometime next week. The problem is I don't have any confidence in him and I'm sure he will stall. This guy is a real slick wily. I'm almost sure he would have sold this boat along with my trailer if he had the right opportunity.
I would like some advice on what to do in this situation. I own the trailer free and clear and have the title. The location of this is St Michaels Maryland. I wouldn't want to damage his boat in any way but what are my options if this guy gives me the run around?
Just go get the trailer and then tell him to come get his boat.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
Just go get the trailer and then tell him to come get his boat.
I have to agree here. Brian's ideas are great because you are law abiding. however if you give him a deadline, he may just roll out with the trailer and say he cant find it. I would get it, leave it hooked to your vehicle and ask him where he wants the "for sale" boat put. then if he doesnt respond, you can discard it by aforementioned tree.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, thanks for all your idea's ! I will give him one opportunity next week when he returns from vacation. If he doesn't co-operate then I will find a tow company to put it on blocks. I'm talking about a 31 foot Chris Craft from the 70's. Its pretty big and heavy. First, I would need a big ass tree! Second, I don't want to do it because then I become liable for damage. If a tow company blocks it then the liability is on them. What do you think?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

my concern would be if the guy is that shady, he may just make the trailer disapear, thats why having it secured to your vehicle, at least to me, is the safest route. You could even take it to his new location and let him block it up there for sale, he doesnt have to look at it so its not his eyesore...make sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.