Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should I switch to State Farm for my boat insurance? >

Should I switch to State Farm for my boat insurance?

Notices

Should I switch to State Farm for my boat insurance?

Old 04-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Should I switch to State Farm for my boat insurance?

I have an 88 Cig Cafe Racer with new paint, fresh motors and #3 drives. It is in great shape and my guy at State Farm talked with his underwriter and can cover me at a lower rate than I'm getting at Jefferson.

It's not an agreed value policy which I have now, but an actual cash value. Anyone had to deal with claims at State Farm for
boat losses?
how they determine value?
Motor and drive thefts?
trailer theft?
collision with submerged objects?
liability claims?

Thanks for your help guys and gals
Old 04-03-2002, 04:42 PM
29Fever

I have SF and am really happy with my coverage and agent. I do have an agreed value on my policy ($80k 1998 Fever). I haven't had to make a claim on the boat, but have loved their car and home coverage for many years. I haven't found any prices even close to them!

Old 04-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I hit a submerged object about three years ago. Presented the estimate from my marina, the check showed up a few days later. Great response.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Outstanding claim service over the 14 years that I've been with them. No fuss and extremely fast resolution on claims based on one estimate. Submitted a submerged object claim and a trailer damage claim w/o issue. They definitely have a great customer service organization in place.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

29 Fever....how did you get an agreed value policy? maybe my boat is too old...I'll ask again about that option.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use others, I would give Rick Felson a call. I am sure SF would be better than what you have, I have heard problems with Jefferson.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Had some fire damage to my old boat (neighbors car caught on fire next to boat). They sent out an agent. I'm not sure if she ever saw a boat before. I had a check the next day. Good rates too.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Registered

State farm has great premiums and has backed me with submerged object claims almost without question. They were 1/2 the cost of any other insurance I could find on my 30' scarab.

BT
Old 04-03-2002, 08:01 PM
packinair

I was with SF for my boat and then I was informed (in writing) that if I had anything happen over 55mph or if my boat could go over 55 then there would be NO coverage for that incendint. so I switched my boat to boat US.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:14 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

22 years with SF, 17 with this agent, agreed on value for boat and trailer value, they are very big and automated, I too have had boat claims, when they need more info they pay the surveyor, check in a few days. I think they are a great provider.

HP listed on my policy, this debate has went on MANY times. I think it depends on each agent/underwriter.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 04-03-2002 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I switch to State Farm for my boat insurance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.