Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stringer replacement? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21537-stringer-replacement.html)

pb 04-03-2002 05:24 PM

Stringer replacement?

While unrigging my engine compartment in preparation for recoating, I discovered that the fore area of the port stringer has developed rot. I then checked back where the engine mount is bolted and found no rot. The last 1" or so of the stringer is not encapsulated in fiberglass where I suspect the rot originated. The stringer is still very solid when pushing and pulling on it. At least as solid as the starboard stringer which shows no rot. What are my options for repair. Can just the rotted portion of the stringer be replaced and spliced in or would the whole stringer have to be replaced. I obviously want to correct this problem the right way without breaking the bank. Any opinions would be appreciated in this unfortunate turn of events.
Thanks

Paul

H2Xmark 04-03-2002 07:09 PM

man good question, i'm sure someone here can help! i would like to know also

Gassticks 04-03-2002 07:47 PM

Hey PB ,
If you have a West Marine in your area The have a product called
Penatrating epoxy . I saw it the other day. you drill some holes in the area with rot and inject this stuff and it says it is absorbed into the wood and hardens . Supposed to make it real strong and solid. You might want to check it out. Around $20 bucks.

Audiofn 04-03-2002 08:45 PM

Yes you can cut back the rotten area and replace only that part.

Jon

B38 04-04-2002 12:20 AM

Option 1= Epoxy in to cheese holes and saturate, then fill complete with more epoxy.

Option 2= REPLACE STRINGER,or hull will change, worp, sag, not recomended to scab any thing in.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 04-04-2002 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ditto on Audio's comment...

SHARKEY-IMAGES 04-04-2002 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics on my site under Offshore Links called "Damaged and Repaired"

pb 04-04-2002 09:16 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I found a couple glass repair guys (boat repair)to take a look at it. If their prices are through the roof then I will do the work. Just something else to put on the to-do list. I will post the outcome.

Paul

pb 04-04-2002 02:38 PM

Well, just got back from the glass guy. Both stringers and side panels adjacent to the stringers need replacement. Quoted me $580.00 for the work plus also increasing my exhaust tip size from 3" to 4". I looked around his shop at the other projects he has going and mine looks like a walk in the park for him. So, I left the boat there and will pick it up in 2 weeks all ready to go for re-rigging.

formula31 04-04-2002 03:26 PM

Man, thats cheap. You lucked out there.