Notices

Boat Locked In Shop

Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
About $1300 was in cash. Remainder was cashier's check and a personal check. They've already cleared. He says he has the parts in a safe place...my thought is to track him down on Monday and ask for the parts. Seeing as I've paid for them, there should be no problem with him handing them over. Thinking that will be a clue about how this is really going to go. I have the title to the boat. Also have the original survey with serials for the drives and motors. Problem is the whole thing is in 30 pieces. Even if I get it I don't know what I'll do with it all.

so I am assuming you haven't spoke to the owner of the shop. You may be able to just call the lawyers on the papers taped to the window and they may let you get your chit. They are only looking for his assets not yours.. They can't legally seize your stuff with proof of ownership. The guy who they are after could come and point out all your stuff and they could let you take it. I bought a boat from a guy and the place he had it...... got locked up the same.

He went and met the police and the shop owner and they let him take everything he had proof was his plus the owner of the shop pointed out parts he had bought for this boat and they let him take them as well The don't want you.. It is his stuff, tools, computers, etc, anything of value they can sell to satisfy his debt. They can't sell your stuff to satisfy his debt.

I would do that monday AM.. Call the lawyers involved and see what they can do for you.. Might not be as hard as it may look!!

Good luck and post the results!!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmareno
so I am assuming you haven't spoke to the owner of the shop. You may be able to just call the lawyers on the papers taped to the window and they may let you get your chit. They are only looking for his assets not yours.. They can't legally seize your stuff with proof of ownership. The guy who they are after could come and point out all your stuff and they could let you take it. I bought a boat from a guy and the place he had it...... got locked up the same.

He went and met the police and the shop owner and they let him take everything he had proof was his plus the owner of the shop pointed out parts he had bought for this boat and they let him take them as well The don't want you.. It is his stuff, tools, computers, etc, anything of value they can sell to satisfy his debt. They can't sell your stuff to satisfy his debt.

I would do that monday AM.. Call the lawyers involved and see what they can do for you.. Might not be as hard as it may look!!

Good luck and post the results!!
Did speak in person with the owner (he was out front when I happened to show up). Like I said, he was polite and could've driven off instead of talking to me. From what I've gathered, your route is they way I think I'll start. I left a message with the lawyer on the letter last Friday. Will start with him again on Monday...then on the the Sheriff's Dept. to see about getting the stuff out. Hopefully the owner remains cooperative. That's the reason I haven't flamed him and his shop all over the place yet. Hoping for a "polite" resolution to the mess. Appreciate all the input from everyone....please keep it coming.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Registered

What county is the shop located?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe you can get all your parts and boat back,,,and see if he can continue the work at your home or storage lot,,,that way its win ,win
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a mess
Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
maybe you can get all your parts and boat back,,,and see if he can continue the work at your home or storage lot,,,that way its win ,win
That's what I'm hoping for.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
Did speak in person with the owner (he was out front when I happened to show up). Like I said, he was polite and could've driven off instead of talking to me. From what I've gathered, your route is they way I think I'll start. I left a message with the lawyer on the letter last Friday. Will start with him again on Monday...then on the the Sheriff's Dept. to see about getting the stuff out. Hopefully the owner remains cooperative. That's the reason I haven't flamed him and his shop all over the place yet. Hoping for a "polite" resolution to the mess. Appreciate all the input from everyone....please keep it coming.

That is the way I would do it. You should have most of your answers once you get in touch with the lawyer. he doesn't want your stuff. He wants the assets of the shop to pay a debtor.. It will work out!!!