Problems on power steering, help >

Problems on power steering, help

Notices

Problems on power steering, help

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems on power steering, help

Purchased a 22 Scarab, "1989 model", noticed a ticking sound from the p/s pulley, sure enough, toast. Had the pump and pulley replaced and everything seemed fine. Ran the boat for about 4 hours last Saturday and unit started to squeek w/ fluid in the bildge, all of it.

Replaced the pump again and am noticing when engine is running the fluid is being drained from the resivoir, and am not seeing any leaks?????

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Saltdog 22
Old 08-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guessing here,the 2 hose's go to the ram behind the motor,leak there? with air in it,ram gone bad? Also the line goes thru the cooler also,hose going bad deteriorating

Also you need the pressure valve out of the old original pump,there usually a different orifice size.

thers a few thread here on the same subject
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Rob,

Sam
Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strip is correct. on most stock setups , from ps pump pressure goes to valve body at the end of the steering ram from there the fluid goes to the combination oil and PS cooler and from there back to the PS pump.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for your help Mark and I like your "Quote".... I try to utilize that as much as possible....

Sam
Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Strip is correct. on most stock setups , from ps pump pressure goes to valve body at the end of the steering ram from there the fluid goes to the combination oil and PS cooler and from there back to the PS pump.

Wobble being a stock system ,cant he just turn from lock to lock and purge it self?

Also if the pump puked it might of puked metal in the oil?

Salt The cooler just has a rubber hose and clamp,its frays on the end,ck it also.leak

If your power sterring is hard at idle that will be the orfice size, theres a thread on here drilling it out also.
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by saltdog22
... Ran the boat for about 4 hours last Saturday and unit started to squeek w/ fluid in the bildge, all of it.

Replaced the pump again and am noticing when engine is running the fluid is being drained from the resivoir, and am not seeing any leaks?????

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Saltdog 22
We had a similar issue last week in my brothers new Merc 525. we had just replaced the low pressure line from the reservoir feed and were still leaking fluid too. I found a loose connection on a brand new hose near the upper fitting. Check the fittings, could be an easy and free fix.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Wobble being a stock system ,cant he just turn from lock to lock and purge it self?

Also if the pump puked it might of puked metal in the oil?

Salt The cooler just has a rubber hose and clamp,its frays on the end,ck it also.leak

If your power steering is hard at idle that will be the orifice size, there's a thread on here drilling it out also.
Rob
Rob if the front bearings go out on the pump there is a magnet inside the reservoir that will pick up most of the trash.

After market steering often has an in-line filter in the high pressure line (usually by the helm) which can stop up and in fact destroyed two PS pumps on my boat before I figured out what was up.

I spoke to a hydraulic engineer and he said to ditch the filter as a clean system would do fine with just the magnet, or a magnet and a spin on filter in the low pressure side. My dual ram steering has been much lighter since I removed the filter.

the piece they talk about drilling is the hollow bolt that goes through the banjo fitting on the high pressure output, might need cleaning.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered

Problem solved.....

Past owner must have had some work done on the boat recently and the brass washer or "bushing" was missing, so long story short the metal tubing was krimped in the area just leaving the pump assembly....

Had the oil changed two weeks ago... Think I need to change again?

I guess everyone can get luck once in a while.......