Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy >

Fountain Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Notices

Fountain Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have all been in a tough patch at one time we need to wait and see what happens over the next year and listen to the ones that are directly tide to reggie and fountain like shogrens that will be the most reliable info. Second they are still great go fast boats!!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio

Because Reggie Fountain is something of a public figure, it's good sport to make fun of his personal style and all that. Fair enough ... you court the public, you take what you get from it. But regardless of what you think of Reggie or his product (Was it innovative or just good marketing?) the man has done as much, no, screw it, much more, than anyone, even Don Aronow to promote the high-performance boat industry.

Only an idiot would count him out.
Being shot down in cold blood tends to make someone not do anything else for the industry.

Reggie came in like a showman, and as I have always said, I have no issue with the product, but just the antics of them as people. As a consumer, if I don't like or respect the person selling said widget, I don't care I wouldn't purchase it.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed...but I do love mine!

Originally Posted by BLee
LOL, could you imagine how bad ass that 42 Poker Run would be with Cigarette's rigging and fit & finish? The hull already hauls ass, it just needs some lip stick.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Offshoredrilin,

Whether your or I "like someone" selling a given Widget or whether we would even buy it has no bearing on whether or not that individual contributed or his product was successful. I wouldn't buy Budweiser. I hate it. But I'd be a fool to question its position in the marketplace or the success of the brand.

As for what Don Aronow would have done had he not been murdered ... With all due respect ... who knows? Pure speculation. For sure, he had a strong track record. But again, who knows?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Offshoredrilin,

Whether your or I "like someone" selling a given Widget or whether we would even buy it has no bearing on whether or not that individual contributed or his product was successful. I wouldn't buy Budweiser. I hate it. But I'd be a fool to question its position in the marketplace or the success of the brand.

As for what Don Aronow would have done had he not been murdered ... With all due respect ... who knows? Pure speculation. For sure, he had a strong track record. But again, who knows?
I agree. your original post asked whether it was it was innovation or good marketing. My opinion would be 75% marketing and 25% innovation. My reasoning is this,(and just my opinion) they took proven ideas and implemented them, they made a product that is appealing to the consumers eye and marketed it. using the NASCAR analogy of what wins on Sunday races will sell on Monday. To me a fountain is the Corvette of boats, a production piece that runs fine and appeals to a certain individual. I wouldn't own a vette either. the styling of fountains is what separates them from the other boats, from far away you can tell a beak. the values of a corvette, is the same as a fountain, they put so many out there, the market is overflowing.
now that being said, I will compare the business to Enron, by looking at the financial that were posted, the company has been looted and the economy will take the blame. I'm pretty sure that the fountain family will walk away being paid.

As for Don Aronow , wish we would have had the chance to see.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, what does this do for the brand? I'm just a dumb guy on all this stuff.
You hear all the time about people BK'ing out of debt only to come back stronger & better than before.
With the BK in Reggie's pocket now, how does he gain financially from it?
By "he" I mean the company.
I always hear speculation that there is some loop hole in the laws that allow one to get out of "jail", restructure a company & gain from screwing their creditors.
Is there something like that going on?
Sure looks like it on the outside to a dummy like me.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Offshoredrillin,

I think your proportions are spot on. But I think, as you pointed out, that styling probably splits the 25 percent of "innovation." As we all know, Fountain didn't invent stepped hulls for V-bottoms, but the builder did lead the charge in popularizing and marketing them. Hustler actually was onto the step trend before Fountain, but Hustler didn't have Fountain's marketing clout.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Offshoredrilin,

Don was pretty much out of the race boat/fast boat business when he died and spent much of his time watching the ponies run. He never caught up with cat technology and, in fact, Cougar/Shadow/Skater/Hustler/Fountain/CUV/Velocity etc had pretty much eclipsed his best stuff starting 5 or more years earlier.

T2x
Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead
No matter how it all turns out and no matter how you feel about Reggie it really sux for the employees..... they have some awesome talent there that have put in a tremendous effort to produce a great product.... hopefully they get through this
thanx bullhead, the employees are suffering. by the way your boat turned out great.

Last edited by fountainemp; 08-25-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Get To Work!!

For those on OSO and the industry and sport who want to cry and whine and complain and blast about the problems with companies like Fountain in our industry I would say there is nothing really useful, helpful or insightful that comes from this "kicking a hurt manufacturer" when they are down! Fountains contributions, past successes and importance to our industry are without question.
I am quite sure that no manufacturer or vendor in our sport and industry were responsible for this horrific downturn in the US economy and its subsequent fallout, but I am also sure that some could have been more careful in their long term planning and positioning in the market place, but thats the way it is in any free democracy capitalist form of economy! 10-5 years ago, most everyone ,even some of you, including these businesses where "FAT, Dumb and Happy", Mercury included!
It is important that we don't loose sight of the future of this industry and sport. We should all be concentrating on staying dilgent to our own economic situation, staying correctly informed,refocusing our efforts to all work hard and contribute to the earned only success of our sport and industry!
Standing around saying I told you so! and being contrite about an important manufacturer's situation and future is counterproductive and hurtfull to the whole future of this industry and sport!
The new Performance Boating Sport and Industry will never be the same as it was 5-10 years ago and rightly so! It has to morph into a newer more efficent and affordable industry and sport!

Just also remember, that where there is a need and companies and individuals fullfill those needs there are rewards and success to be had. I hope that our industry will ride out and survive these difficult times, because your recreation and enjoyment DEPEND ON IT!!
Lets all get better at everything we do and say and our futures will benefit greatly!

Best REgards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 08-25-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.