Going fast is good, I think

Notices

Going fast is good, I think

Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going fast is good, I think

I've been boating for 40 years, had 40 boats and been married to the same woman on 9/6/09 for 40 years. I just realized this today. No, I didn't forget my anniversary, just the 40 thing.

My focus, when I could afford it, was on the top end number. I invested (blew) much coin to get a bass boat, fishing boat, jet ski, or go fast to do the big number. I had a good time but as I reflect I think I probably was off course a little. Maybe a lot.

The 27 Lavey cat with a 1000HP BBC that ate drives for breakfast is a good example. Nothing wrong fundamentally with boat or engine, just the direction (ego) of the owner. There is some middle ground.

Going fast is fine as long as you are committed with your money. Most of my fellow boating friends are committed to the fast thing, not the money thing. It is not wise to think you can have speed and with no cash commitment. Speed costs money.

So, for most of us we need to decide what is important. After all this time I'll take "good" speed coupled with reasonable manners at cruise, simple operation around the dock, and no drive issues.
Will I be some where back in the pack at the poker run? Probably. But I will be able to run on all the other days of the week? Probably.

Maybe I'm getting old. Actually, I am. 90mph daily for 3 years with nothing but oil changes in the 24 Lavey Ilmor is good. I'll break. Its inevitable. But the time running back in the pack and still be running all the rest of the days of the week has been worth it. To each his own. Got to go buy an anniversary present. Safe boating to you. Quent
Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

A wise mechanic once told me " going fast in boats takes money, but remember there is always someone who has more money and will go faster." I am getting older and not breaking is more important than being first. Cause I don't have enough money to be first.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Quent
I've been boating for 40 years, had 40 boats and been married to the same woman on 9/6/09 for 40 years. I just realized this today. No, I didn't forget my anniversary, just the 40 thing.

Quent
Wow, you got married the exact day I was born. Happy upcoming anniversary.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Any pics of the Lavey? I think I know the boat. I am going to guess it was traded in at LCM maybe?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

oh so true!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm done with fast. Wanted to get in mid 90's this year but I keep blowing drives before I make it. I did go 88 before the last on blew. Still had stick, just no gears! Detune is in my future.

I saw your Lavey at EB's when I was picking up parts earlier in the year.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
A wise mechanic once told me " going fast in boats takes money, but remember there is always someone who has more money and will go faster."
This isn't directed at you, but to the "wise" mechanic:

Who cares?

Using that logic, does that mean people shouldn't buy a sportscar or a motorcycle, since they will never be a good/fast as Jeff Gordon, or Travis Pastrana? Someone shouldn't play golf either, since travelling to nice courses, equipment, & green fee's are expensive, and you'll never beat Tiger Woods? Why cook your own food, since you'll never be Emeril Lagasse, etc, etc.

Just because you're not likely to go as fast as some other guys, doesn't mean you can't still have fun doing it. My boat is fast, but it's not the fastest, and I don't care. You can also have a VERY fast boat that runs every weekend these days. 1000hp on a Bravo drive is NOT the "fundamental" way to do it however.

If everyone used that logic, life would be incredibly boring.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee

Who cares?

Using that logic, does that mean people shouldn't buy a sportscar or a motorcycle, since they will never be a good/fast as Jeff Gordon, or Travis Pastrana? Someone shouldn't play golf either, since travelling to nice courses, equipment, & green fee's are expensive, and you'll never beat Tiger Woods? Why cook your own food, since you'll never be Emeril Lagasse, etc, etc.

Just because you're not likely to go as fast as some other guys, doesn't mean you can't still have fun doing it. My boat is fast, but it's not the fastest, and I don't care. You can also have a VERY fast boat that runs every weekend these days. 1000hp on a Bravo drive is NOT the "fundamental" way to do it however.

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee

Who cares?

Absolutly correct.

Last night we had my 84 year old mother in law out for a ride and we ran about 45 mph, she had a couple beers and said it was fast and fun !!!
ed
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Fix it when it "Don blowed up"

5 minutes at 130 mph is better than 120 hours at 67 mph... I can use the other 119 hours and 55 minutes to pay for the parts to fix to get another 5 minutes maybe at 133 mph that time!!! IMHO

BTW Congrats on that Forty boats and boating years thing.

For the 40th Marriage Anniversary Congrats also and a great gift would more than likely be a 14-71 Blower with a Chiller an intake and a very small top pulley,,,

I know it would be a Knock out gift at my house...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.