Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Big problem, MOLD (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21624-big-problem-mold.html)

brokenparts 04-04-2002 09:50 PM

Big problem, MOLD

Hope somebody can help me. I got my boat out today and there was mold all over. I thought my wife and I did a better job than that when we put the boat away. The blame lays on us. With that said I would like to know if there is a "BEST" product out there that somebody could or would recommend. I am looking for a miracle. I was very disappointed when I lifted the cover off. Thanks for your help in advance. :mad: :confused:

'WHO MOVED MY CHEESE"

Keith 04-04-2002 09:57 PM

ewww!!

There was mildew in my cabin when I bought my boat. Used Spray Nine to take it out of the upolstery and headliner. Worked for me, but you should test in a relatively hidden place to make sure it doesn't leave a stain or bleach out the material.

Good luck.

brokenparts 04-04-2002 10:03 PM

tHANKS kELLEY, i'LL GIVE IT A TRY.

liquid asset 04-04-2002 10:06 PM

Tilex mildew remover works great

Hot Boat 04-04-2002 10:14 PM

spray nine is the stuff you need

Face It 04-08-2002 06:57 AM

Did you have a blue cheep plastic tarp over your boat, or plastic?:(

THE BULL 04-08-2002 07:53 AM

the best bet is either spray nine or softscrub and water.....then head off to west marine to get the moisture pellets that you put in the plastic sifter container to rid the boat of all moisture. it works great and gets out any unwanted odors:)

obnoxus 04-08-2002 08:03 AM

Problem is you did TO good of a job,, the boat wasnt beathing,,,try vents in the cover, and some mosture absorbing packs next fall. I also leave my cabin door open and lift all my seats and storage compartments are left open to breathe.

Keith 04-08-2002 08:09 AM

To avoid mold/mildew problems in the spring.....

Ditto what Bull and obnoxus say. I've found the secret to keeping mold and mildew out of your cabin is to use several dehumidifiers in your cabin. They look like small quart sized buckets with a sifter level filled with white pellets or chips.

I use several in the cabin and cockpit, then cover the boat with a $50 blue tarp. In the spring, everything is relatively dry and clean. At about $2-$5 each, buy extra's and put them all over the cabin, head and cockpit to absorb moisture. Throw/toss all your cushions around on end so air can circulate around them. Leave cabin door open.

Even if you shrinkwrap, you should do this. I don't shrinkwrap because it's $7/foot here in this area (times 34 feet = $238). The cheapy $50 tarp lasts me 2 winters lacing it like a shoe from stem to stern. Been doing this since 1991, no mold or mildew yet since we initially cleaned the boat from the 2nd owners mistakes.

Face It 04-08-2002 08:26 AM

When we shrink wrap----$10.00 per ft.----- Cin Oh--- we put vents in the plastic so it can breath. You have to have a breathable cover or the dampness will set in. The buckets for mildew are good.