Notices

Mercury Moving to OK

Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mercury Moving to OK

A story in an Oklahoma newspaper indicates local and state officials are in negotiations to bring the Fond du Lac Mercury MerCruiser plant to Stillwater, Okla.

“If they should make the decision to locate more of their production here, it would bolster additional jobs,” Stillwater City Manager Dan Galloway said in the Stillwater NewsPress article. “(We) are trying to do everything we can to encourage MerCruiser to relocate to Stillwater.”

Fond du Lac officials have not publicly confirmed that they are in similar negotiations to keep Mercury Marine in Fond du Lac and possibly move Stillwater operations to Fond du Lac. Several closed door meetings have been held regarding an economic development issue that officials have declined to elaborate on.

Steve Fleming, spokesman for Mercury Marine in Fond du Lac, has said he cannot comment on the rumors.

In a story last week on WFDL radio, State Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan commented that several provisions to help Mercury Marine were included in the state budget.

Stillwater officials are working hard to keep the plant there, according to the NewsPress article.

MerCruiser representatives and Stillwater Chamber of Commerce President Larry Brown are in negotiations to discuss an incentives package to move its Wisconsin plant to Stillwater, according to the report.

According to the NewsPress:

Sen. Jim Halligan, R-Stillwater, who authored a bill that gave tax relief to the company, said having an additional plant could double employment at the Stillwater plant.

The recent negotiations are not directly related to the bill, which was recently signed into law.

Senate Bill 929 relieved the company from about $1.2 million tax penalty as required from the Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program. The program required MerCruiser to retroactively pay all tax incentives if they fell below a certain number in investments or employees, Halligan said. The bill makes it so the company won’t have to pay that charge unless it leaves the state.

He said he does hope to get additional operations in Stillwater, but he wouldn’t give any details about the current negotiations at this time.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring it!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I heard it was because E-Dock has such a large presence.....in OK
Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

I know several people in Stillwater that were not working because the plant shut down for some time. Not sure if they fired it back up yet, But this would be Great news.
Now about the test driver that got fired for NOT testing the boats!!? HHMMM
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, another one gone, raise the taxes, again, again and again.....oops, looks like we didn't learn. This would be a great state without Milwaukee and Dane counties.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by oklaoutlaw
I know several people in Stillwater that were not working because the plant shut down for some time. Not sure if they fired it back up yet, But this would be Great news.
Now about the test driver that got fired for NOT testing the boats!!? HHMMM
A friends dad used to drive their test boats for fun at keystone, all the fuel you could burn, and was told to never lift!
we put some hours on those boats for sure!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 800XCR
Yep, another one gone, raise the taxes, again, again and again.....oops, looks like we didn't learn. This would be a great state without Milwaukee and Dane counties.
When did Wisconsin raise taxes on Merc?? All the article talks about is tax relief for Merc from Oklahoma.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
When did Wisconsin raise taxes on Merc?? All the article talks about is tax relief for Merc from Oklahoma.
I believe he was referring to how the taxes for the residents will be raised again now that another corporation is leaving town.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GrandTimes
A friends dad used to drive their test boats for fun at keystone, all the fuel you could burn, and was told to never lift!
we put some hours on those boats for sure!
Flip Me... He laid that chit down to me on Keystone almost 10 years ago - - And his son J was in my boat. I had a 24 outlaw -> He ran me wide open many miles till I was dry, never let up. He came back with a 5 gallon bucket of fuel to get us back! ! I will never forget, good times!

Last edited by FASTTIMES; 06-24-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 121 Posts

I love WI, but I have to tell you our current governor and his croneys have no clue!

I too WAS a business owner in WI, Thank goodness I was in a position to survive, and have made changes to look for the future. Biggest problems for business in WI, ask any owner about workmans comp, unemployment ins,a/k/a taxes and did I mention: taxes, taxes, taxes.

The only advantage large companies have is they get serious breaks to keep them there, unfortunately small business pays for it all...

I could cut bilions out of their budget... Its not hard. Small business has to make changes to stay in business, now it is time for government...

OH Wait, sorry.... Wrong parties are currently in office. Stay low brothers, may WE, save us all!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.