BAD experience with Florida boat broker >

BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Notices

BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Old 04-05-2002, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Hey,

I`ll try to keep this short. Last year I got wind of a 32 active thunder for sale in Florida $. I spoke with the salesman (no names) at $ and collected all the info. Feeling this boat may really fit my needs I went to see it. In short the boat was suppose to have fresh power under 10hrs. The motors were 502s that were sitting in the owners shop for a few years prior to install (ya right).
Believing $ info, due to the fact the owner has a marine dealership and a repeat customer of $, I started the months and I mean months of adjusting my finances and finally coming to terms on a price.
On the day of the sea trial I asked them to make sure everything was working properly before I made my third trip over. Apon leaving the ramp I noticed a few gauges not working. Already beginning to get suspicious we kept on. At wide open throttle one motor was turning 5000rpms the other 4700rpms. They told me this was common and assured me the motors were healthy.
Back at the shop their mechanics looked everything over and deemed them health. I was still uneasy about it and fought for days to renegotiate the price, being I had months invested, my loan in order and loved the boat . We finally came to terms. Figuring it may be something stupid (as the owner & $ mechanics had repeatedly stated) I made the purchase.
Two great weeks into the ownership of my new boat(great boat) I was beginning to feel good about the purchase and spoke with $ to let them know. The next weekend on a trip back from Cabbage Key the weaker motor failed. The air breathers were full of h20 along with 3 cylinders. Apon inspection we found the # 7 cylinder wall had been badly gouged in two places. The present head was in perfect condition .Comparing the two heads side by side it was easy to see the 1,3,5,7 side had a later model head and the valve train was completely different . And to make matters even more obvious the intake gasket didn't even match! It was apparent the owner had previous trouble and glued it back together in the hopes some sorry ass like my self would come along and buy it.
I contacted $ that Monday and told him of the news. He expressed how badly he felt and told me something must be done. He was going to contact the last owner and see what he could do, remember he`s a marina owner. Two weeks later as if I didn`t expect it
no call. I have tried to get in touch with the salesman but I guess he`s just to busy.
Fortunately I was planning on a performance upgrade, just not this soon. I came across Rob at bullet Engines and came up with a great price on a set of 675sc`s. I am presently waiting for delivery of the engines by Rob personally(pretty cool).
I`ll keep you posted as to the outcome. Just wanted to share my nightmare and hope it may save someone from a similar fate in the future .

P.S. be smart if you are in anyway suspicious which you should be, spend the money and bring in a real mechanic of your own. Don`t trust anyone's word even if you think there your friend .

Obnoxious Thunder

Last edited by ObnoxiousThundr; 04-05-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your last statement said it all, why didn't you bring in a surveyor to do a complete check-out of the boat? Granted the report probably would have come back bad and you may of decided to not buy it but when you are plunking down some big money on a boat I would make damn sure it is what it is suppose to be.

BTW, by spilling the dealers name to the board, it might help you as well as future buyers.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Registered

Unfortunetly that scenerio plays out all too often in the resale market. Even if the boat is running perfect it is always advisable to get a marine and mechanical survey of the boat in question. Also to further protect yourself most brokers will offer aftermarket warranty packages to cover the engine and outdrive.

Sorry about your bad experience, Boat buying, new or used is supposed to fun and exciting, to bad we still have some crooked brokers out there to take that away
Old 04-05-2002, 02:10 PM

If my code for the dealers name was to confusing, go to the active thunder forum and check out my photos their quit informative. The reason for the post was to make everyone aware of the situation and the broker in question. The broker claims he had no idea their was a problem. I may have believed him if he stayed in contact with me. I `ve only known him for 6+ months!!!!! I have a lot of mechanical knowledge in regards to the engines in question. I was aware their was a problem with one of the engines. I was just hopping to get a few months out of it. Don't feel bad in any way for me I am still extremely happy with the price and the boat. I was just very disappointed with the seller and his representation. I`m a straight shooter and get very angry when someone tries to take advantage of me or anybody. I will still be waaaaay under 100,000 total investment into this boat with a trailer and new 675`s.

go to the active thunder forum under: check out my new babies 675s.c , it will answer the previously asked question.

Obnoxious

Last edited by ObnoxiousThundr; 04-05-2002 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:36 PM

Hey Troutly,

Its a little to close to home for me to intentionally start bashing. I have other situations at stake. If pushing your little mouse is to hard then don`t read it!

Obnoxious
Old 04-05-2002, 02:48 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Isn't it true that there is usually two sides to every story? Before people criticize and place blame I think it would be a good idea to hear from the other side.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:12 PM

Troutley

In a round about way your correct. I`m not out for blood, revenge or to slam the sssssht. out of a company for one bad sale, but I felt everyone should know and if their was a discriptive photo on another forum that may of fit the post ooops.

Obnoxious
Old 04-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Registered

Question

Hey Obnious Thudr,

You make a big deal about the broker, but in the same breath you talk about the previous owner and fact that he owns a marina, yet give no clues whatsoever about who that might be.

The broker just lists the boat and brings the parties together after showing the boat. If the boat wasn't what it was supposed to be, then you should go after the seller, especially if the seller owned a marina and was a dealer. If the owner played around with the engines, then he is the one you should be bashing, not the broker.

boater x
Old 04-05-2002, 03:26 PM

Goodfella,

If this is who I think, please post your side I don`t feel anything I said was close to inaccurate. If I`m correct a simple phone call would have made a big difference. Its never too late you have my phone#.

If I thought wrong Goodfella, please disregard.

Obnoxious
Old 04-05-2002, 04:02 PM

Boaterx

Normally I would agree , but the fact is I spoke with this salesman constantly on a friendly basis and went as far to meet up for a Christmas party and the Miami boat show to go over details and hang out. What I`m trying to say is I thought he was a stand up guy. After the sea trial I had my doubts about the boat. He had his mechanics go through and check out the motors (which I ate 1/2 the bill), to basically tell me my knowledge is minimal in regards to engines and everything is fine. I decided to by the boat and suck it up like a big boy if trouble arose. As for the owner he runs in stealth. I couldn`t find his marina , if their was one.
The reason I am upset with the sales side of this mess is no return calls. I wasn't asking for new motors or for them to take the boat back some additional comp. would of been nice but I know how it usually ends up.I just figured if their was nothing to be done he could of returned my calls.

Obnoxious

Quick Reply: BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.