Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad everything went OK Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher
Why the question about braking the embargo?
wasn't everyone Canadian?
what type registration or documentation do you have on the boat? U.S.? Canadian?
the embargo is and has been such a waste and joke.
Chuck, I can't get into all the details other than to say that it is a Canadian documented vessel with an all Canadian crew. I had ran this by 2 different offices and was told no problem and one office even went on to say that anything brought back had to stay on the boat until its return to Canada. We chose not to bring anything back so that was not an issue. It had a happy ending so I just want to leave it at that. The officers were professional, courteous and even friendly so no complaints there. I had talked to a Net Jet pilot today and he says they go thru the same nonsense where every port of entry seems to have its own peculiarities and you just roll with it. The Cubans had lots of strange requirements as well. For example I had to turn over to them all flares and flare guns for their safekeeping until we left. I also had to call the doctor each day and report on the health of my crew. They are very concerned about Swine Flu coming in. Funny story - When we arrived at the boat to leave Sunday the doctor asked me how the crew was. With a straight face I looked at her and said - " not so good." You should have seen the look on her face until I said ....... "too much alcohol !!" She thought that was pretty funny and was very relieved.
Bob
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Last leg - Key West to Cape Coral today

It was raining and thunder storming quite hard in Key West this morning and my departure was delayed till about 10 AM. I set a straight coarse 009 degrees for Marco Island. The winds were still out of the NE so kinda going into it but nothing over 4 ft. It got better as I neared the west coast. I made a decision rather than go into Marco to keep right on going up to Cape Coral and meet Nor Tech to put the boat on the trailer. Along the coast it was flat and I ran almost 70 MPH to the Cape. It was only 2 1/2 hrs from KW to Cape Coral. So now Team PREDATOR is on the trailer and the trip is officially over. At the ramp Gerry Monroe pulled up and we had a nice chit chat. Many of you will know Gerry as Geralyn's dad from NJ. He took the attached pic.
I am traveling tomorrow and my day looks like this: Miami, Toronto, Waterloo, ON ( home I think ) and finally end up in Cleveland. I have some checkups scheduled at CC throughout the day Wednesday.
While the trip may be done, there are many more pics I would like to post and stories to tell. It may be Thursday before I can get back into it, but I will.
Thanks for following along.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-bobs-trip-havana-cuba-sept-2009-315-%5Bdesktop-resolution%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

VERY VERY COOL!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Registered

wow! what an awsome trip and awsome experience!
I should have gave my buddy a call down and key west with the coast guard...idont know what port he's out of but he's a fast boat captain...though his fastest boat he said does 98.

Did you have any problems from US CG or just the issues with customs? my other friend just relocated to montreal to work the US customs pre-screening up there. He may know more of the regulations for cuban travel.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Slinky
wow! what an awsome trip and awsome experience!
I should have gave my buddy a call down and key west with the coast guard...idont know what port he's out of but he's a fast boat captain...though his fastest boat he said does 98.

Did you have any problems from US CG or just the issues with customs? my other friend just relocated to montreal to work the US customs pre-screening up there. He may know more of the regulations for cuban travel.
No issues with the Coast Guard. When I talked to them prior to leaving they said Customs makes the rules so if they are happy, CG is happy.

I would rather you not raise it with them. As I said it is open to interpretation and I got the ruling I was looking for and all is well so please just leave it be. I have only covered part of it here and it's very complex and complicated.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
No issues with the Coast Guard. When I talked to them prior to leaving they said Customs makes the rules so if they are happy, CG is happy.

I would rather you not raise it with them. As I said it is open to interpretation and I got the ruling I was looking for and all is well so please just leave it be. I have only covered part of it here and it's very complex and complicated.

Thanks,

Bob
Your right, better leave what went well alone.

I do wish we would drop some of the embargos and things on cuba though. being that i live so close to canada i know many people that take vacations down there and say its a beautiful place. its so close to us but yet so far out of reach.

The pictures you took definately show the beauty, but like you said there must be a lot more places that are in dispare.

also i'd love a nice cuban cigar without having to go hang out in canada to enjoy it
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I had previously mentioned that there was also a not so pretty side to Havana. Like about 90% of the city is decaying as shown in this group of pictures. There is little money to keep the properties maintained. Notice in the pics tho that the streets are clean and not lottered. It is a shame to see things falling apart like this but I guess this problem is not just unique to Cuba. Communism has not brought any signs of prosperity to the island and has actually robbed them of it. They are starting to get their eyes open and are wanting change.
Later I will also post some pics of some beautiful restorations done mostly with European money but that to is drying up.
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-s2.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-s3.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-s4.jpg  

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-s5.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-23-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I had previously mentioned that there was also a not so pretty side to Havana. Like about 90% of the city is decaying as shown in this group of pictures. There is little money to keep the properties maintained. Notice in the pics tho that the streets are clean and not lottered. It is a shame to see things falling apart like this but I guess this problem is not just unique to Cuba. Communism has not brought any signs of prosperity to the island and has actually robbed them of it. They are starting to get their eyes open and are wanting change.
Later I will also post some pics of some beautiful restorations done mostly with European money but that to is drying up.
Reminds me of the Bronx 20 years ago
Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Reminds me of the Bronx 20 years ago
you mean the bronx has changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.