Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba

Notices

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba

Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba

Well it's been 4 months since the Bahamas trip so it's time for a new adventure with something a little out of the ordinary. 12 years ago I first set out for Cuba but heavy seas forced us to turn back. It has been on my mind ever since and if all goes as planned on Thurs. Sept. 17th we will again be heading south to an island that many of us are curious about. We hope to return to Key West / Marco Island on Sunday the 20th.

On Wed. I will run Team PREDATOR down to Key West from Marco Island, and settle in at the Galleon Marina. My all Canadian crew will fly into Key West from Toronto that evening. Weather provided, we will then leave for Havana by mid morning. It is only 108 miles, so 2 hrs. should do it unless sea conditions slow us down. Right now the long range forecast looks favorable and we will continue to monitor the weather daily. Our destination will be Marina Hemingway which is on the west side of Havana.

I have called US Customs in both Ft. Lauderdale and Key West and they have confirmed that as long as we are CAN citizens and my boat is a CAN vessel, there is no problem. I was informed that any goods we purchase must remain aboard the vessel until it's return to Canada. I have made a decision not to bring anything back on this initial trip to avoid any problems. So for all my friends hoping for Cuban cigars and mojito's – so sorry !! LOL On checking with the US Coast Guard I was informed that Customs makes the rules so if it's OK with them, they have no problem.

As with the Cancun and Bahamas trips we will bring our GPS tracker “SPOT” along and you will be able to follow our progress. Just click on any of the three links below and it will show you where we are including our arrival in Cuba. At this time it shows my location in Waterloo, ON, CAN until I get back south.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...sE2u07mrnqoRxF

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ly2AzdZ0PkL5Vq

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...JmyDqovnSUPtQy

Follow us along and I will post pictures and tell all about our next adventure on our return and as I am able along the way.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-marina-hemingway-havana.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-marco-key-west-havana-cuba.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-key-west-havana-108-miles.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-13-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Recently I have been reading up on Cuba to try and get some idea what to expect. I have had a Cuban cruising guide for years now but more recently was given a Cuban Insight Guide published by Discovery Channel. What a resource that has proven to be. It covers their history, culture, the arts, music, cuisine, colonial architecture (that fascinates me), and it's emergence from isolationism. And yes, “politics” as well. I think you will understand that I can not venture into discussion on that subject until my safe return. I just hope they will tolerate a Canadian capitalist for a few days.

Here is an excerpt from the Discover Channel Guide that is worth sharing and may help some understand my desire to go and see Cuba:

“ It is difficult to be unemotional about Cuba. This Caribbean island thrills the senses, befuddles the mind, and tugs at the heart. It is a magical place, full of romantic images: conga drums pounding late into the night; spicy roast pork and sweet dark rum; baseball, ballet, and dazzling nightclubs; quick conversation spiked with wicked humor; people who are warm, expressive and affectionate; music emanating from every window – all enveloped within the aroma of hand – rolled cigars.
There are also more somber images of Cuba:” ....... and so on.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will be some trip Bob!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

will follow this tread again! have fun !
Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

I have a friend from Ireland that raves about how great Cuba is, have a great trip and take lots of pictures.

I would love to be on radar watch with homeland security/CG the morning you leave. Those boys are going to real excited with an incoming 50 ft/narrow beam go fast is heading for KW!

How many hours have you got on that thing now? That has to be the farthest travelled NT on its own bottom!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds Like Fun Bob, Good luck.

Makes me wish I was Canadian.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I have a friend from Ireland that raves about how great Cuba is, have a great trip and take lots of pictures.

I would love to be on radar watch with homeland security/CG the morning you leave. Those boys are going to real excited with an incoming 50 ft/narrow beam go fast is heading for KW!

How many hours have you got on that thing now? That has to be the farthest travelled NT on its own bottom!
240 hrs in 16 months. Now if I still had the gas boat I would be overdue for a complete 3 engine rebuild wheras the diesel is just nicely broken in. Also I would never have been able to contemplate trips to Cancun, Bahamas etc. I'm liking this boat very much.

As for Homeland Security I doubt we will even see them. On the Cancun trip we saw nothing coming or going. We even passed a CG boat coming into KW harbor with our quarantine flag up and they could care less.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-14-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rchevelle71

Makes me wish I was Canadian.
Thanks, Rick. You would not want to be Canadian when it comes to some aspects of our health care or paying taxes but we will forget I said that as I was not wanting to bring politic's into this thread ! LOL

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-14-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again, I am envious. That would be such a cool trip and very few have done so legally.

Make sure spot is on so we can vicariously enjoy the trip.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default insurance coverage !

Get something in writing from your insurance company in writing stating that coverage applies to CUBA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.