Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wife wants Pontoon, I still need performance >

Wife wants Pontoon, I still need performance

Notices

Wife wants Pontoon, I still need performance

Old 09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forget the pontoon man.just get her behind the wheel of your fast boat and let her race someother boat and get a win under her belt and get will be alll down hill from there.it worked w/my old lady.if that doesnt work,go with strippoker said and trade up.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Call Knookster he has a pontoon with twin 2.4 Mercs... Runs about 85 and throws a nice roostertail...

Something like this... I am sure your wife would love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW69k7Y-QFM

the kids toys would blow out,they would need seat belts tohold onto the puppy too
Attached Thumbnails Wife wants Pontoon, I still need performance-untitledsd.bmp  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Registered

Look at the Advantage or Eliminator deck boats. They are basicly a performance cat hull with a party deck - lots of seating, frig, built in coolers and blenders.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered

The Advantage boats are not that good looking.
I love the Eliminator deck boats, but the smallest is 27 ft. I don't want to have to also spend money on a bigger garage
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You can buy a beater Pontoon for $2-5K. Buy a performance boat and snag a 'toon as a spare...
Bingo. Dedicated boats for each purpose. Otherwise you wind up in a comprimise boat that doesn't suit either purpose as well.

Plus: This way, she can take "her" pontoon boat out and serve as the mother ship for the raftup.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats what I did. I have 28' pontoon w plenty of room, killer stereo, stripper pole and never a worry in the world about people smoking or spilling stuff on it.

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Bingo. Dedicated boats for each purpose. Otherwise you wind up in a comprimise boat that doesn't suit either purpose as well.

Plus: This way, she can take "her" pontoon boat out and serve as the mother ship for the raftup.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This summer, we bought a Bennington RLI2576 tri-toon w/350 Yamaha....best GPS- 54.6 .(This actual boat is shown on Yamahas web under performance) First, the trailer design can cause loading and towing more or less user friendly. We designed one that Roadrunner built and it works. Loading can be a challenge if the bunks are not spaced to create a cradle.

We were disappointed Bennington would not approve a jack plate. The motor is great, as advertised, but needs clean water to reduce prop slip. The jack plate would have been one solution. The motor is heavier but that is not all bad because it creates better running CG.

With very limited use we have had a blast because perception has a pontoon as low and slow. Cruisers are most amusing as they are running WOT and the pontoon zips by. Ski boats are second and run- abouts are third.

As this is written, we have offered a tube design that is believed would make a significant improvement.

For your application we would endorse a HP Pontoon boat.
Further, I would expect more innovations soon.

We have trouble with using the IO on a pontoon. Perhaps, two 300 outboards. Or, the 350 Yamaha should push it to 60+ w/ a couple minor changes to the hull.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a toon with a 525???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o5MF...c-HM-fresh+div
Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

They call em "toons" for a reason, cuz there funny lookin. At least to me
Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree, they are like the "cliche', it's so ugly it's cute". However, compared to some cruisers, they can do more for less dollars. Bang for the buck, in my opinion, they are cheap.

Here in north Texas, a rough survey would have the population of pontoons on the water @ 50% of the total.

Perhaps Skater should build a pontoon. That would cover the spectrum from "Low and slow to Blow and go". Why, I can see it now, Buy one, get one free. Of course this promo only covers the 40SS and up combined with 22' twin tube powered w/the 90 HP engine....blah,blah.