Purchasing Fountain Powerboats >

Purchasing Fountain Powerboats

Notices

Purchasing Fountain Powerboats

Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

You could make the argument that during the economic boom that Fountain wisely used resources to enter other markets such as the cruiser and fish boat markets so that they would have greater diversity when facing the inevitable downswing hopefully creating an environment of sustainability.....there appears to me to be a certain amount of glee by some who obviously are getting some kind of enjoyment out of Fountain's struggles.....I get the impression it has nothing to do about the boats or business decisons but everything to do about a disdain for either Reggie himself or his marketing tactics.....Reading Fountainemp's post kind of brings things home...Reggie has fed a lot of families for a long time....its worth thinking about the next time one of his advertisements rubs you wrong
Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bullhead
You could make the argument that during the economic boom that Fountain wisely used resources to enter other markets such as the cruiser and fish boat markets so that they would have greater diversity when facing the inevitable downswing hopefully creating an environment of sustainability.....there appears to me to be a certain amount of glee by some who obviously are getting some kind of enjoyment out of Fountain's struggles.....I get the impression it has nothing to do about the boats or business decisons but everything to do about a disdain for either Reggie himself or his marketing tactics.....Reading Fountainemp's post kind of brings things home...Reggie has fed a lot of families for a long time....its worth thinking about the next time one of his advertisements rubs you wrong

well said
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered

I feel the same way!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Registered

I agree with the beginning of your statement, but not the end. The people on the factory floor and all of the other supporting roles helped to feed the boss as much as he did them. Bottom line is no matter how much the compnay attempted to diversify, they failed. And to get to a point that they failed to the tune of, what $20 million, they failed miserably and not in months time or even two. You can believe to rack up that kind of debt they have been operating on borrowed time for a while.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

Not to get to far away from Fountain but how is Formula doing ? They had that killer finance deal and made and sold a ton of boats the last few years and I see alot of repo Formulas out there. They have to be hurting a too.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Not to get to far away from Fountain but how is Formula doing ? They had that killer finance deal and made and sold a ton of boats the last few years and I see alot of repo Formulas out there. They have to be hurting a too.
THERE IS NO ONE IN THE BOAT BUISNESS KNOCKING DOWN DOORS AND BREAKING SALES RECORDS. PERIOD.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

I know that but wasn't all their F&I in house ?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Registered

Boy that would really suck!! I can't imagine them being able to do that. And if they did I am sure they are wishing they didn't now. Like everyone else they were probably looking to move product.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Back to Fountain....As a business owner, I and many of you know how difficult it can be when ups go DOWN.
HOWEVER, we also know how EASY it is to live on credit and do so for several years, hoping for an eventual turn-around in sales. Many, many folks have seen Reggies lifestyle. He certainly didn't hide it. And I highly doubt he was the least bit conservative; or for that matter, considered the many families of his employees during his 'outings' or let it influence his decision making. But, let it be known that just because I prefer another boat and think Reggie is strange doesn't mean I would neccessarily have done things differently in his shoes.
In order to walk a mile in a mans shoes, you must first remove your own......and just to make a point, I am barefoot!!
BTW, How many times has Fountain borrowed money from Mercury??2 or is it 3??? to the tune of 90mil?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

Well one of the things that most likely helped and hurt Fountain power boats was the fact that Reggie has the 315 Appt. and the strip mall, he knew he and his family would have money no matter what and he was able to take chances that most would not. I bet if you told Reggie 30 years ago that he would be building 100's of boats a year and go over 170+ MPH in a V hull he would of looked at you like you were crazy.

He has been in the biz. now for 3 economic ups and downs and when he branched out into other things away from boating it made it so he wouldn't have to worry about money anymore and god bless him for that because he changed powerboats for ever set the bar as far as speed and made every builder better. The down side he got so big that it's hurting more than just a few people. But life go's on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.