Notices

Need Help Fast

Old 04-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help Fast

We got a problem with a buddies boat. He has a 502 that filled up with water. Salt water. We are not sure were the water came from. He called me today and said that he thought his starter was bad so I told him to make sure he did not have a hydolock. Well he pulled plugs and he has a MAJOR problem. Cylinder was full of water. 2 and 6 had some water but not a lot. On the other side there was some water but not a ton. The intake was recently done as well as the riser on the side of the engine that seems to have taken it the hardest. My first question is, how does he go about diagnosing the problem. Second what should he do now that the water has been sitting in there for a week or so and no doubt causing rust?

Jon
Old 04-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, all I know is that if salt water got past the pistons, you better pull the motor apart. Don't even try to turn it over. Just pull it out and do it right.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ron you think I am concerned with pitting with the salt water being in there for that long. What is the worse that can happen however? The engine will just have either less oil preasure or power NO??????

Jon
Old 04-06-2002, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was it winterized properly? This time of year you always see this. Otherwise manifolds or risers are the most likley. I've seen intake manifolds with holes eaten through the water passage but if it has been replaced recently that's unlikley. Also it's possible the engine just sucked water in through the exhaust either when shutting it down or slowing down to quickly. Get the water out and the engine running as quickly as you can, if it's not too late. Watch out for stuck valves which result in bent pushrods. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Bowtie the boat is in Cali and gets used all year long. We were thinking along the lines of a bad intake as I was just told all cylinders had water in them!!!!!
Old 04-06-2002, 11:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In that case I would go for intake also. Especially if it's an aluminum automotive type. Why would anybody want to boat all year round. What do you have to look forward to.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Banned

My buddy had the same thing happen to his. A new aluminum intake had a manufactering flaw. Got water in two cyls and bent the pushrods.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Would the intake fill it up that bad? All cylinders? Seemingly on shut down?

Jon
Old 04-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's got Hell! pull it out and appart before he hurts something else....my.02
Old 04-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Registered

Audio,

How did he come to try and start the engine? Was if with muffs on a garden hose, or at launch time? Backing down the ramp too fast can cause this problem.

Nonetheless, I would drain the oil, preferrably through the drain plug, change filters and fire it up. Then you can collect the necessary facts. You must properly define the problem before leaping into action.

BT

Quick Reply: Need Help Fast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.