Notices

pdx alpine amp Bridgable/

Old 09-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not hook the + on one speaker output and - on the other one. Hook it it up +/- on each ouput on the amp per speaker. I have this same amp and the new alpine 10's in my boat. That amp draws alot of current. If your batts r low or the cable too small it will clip.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Registered

Talking

Thunder, does it thump? You are running free air no box???

the spec's say 300watts/900 watts so I can turn the gain down and or leave the volume down.I guess the best is turn down the gain on the amp and be able to run the mids higher.They dont distort.

I got this right audio techs??
Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered

Talking

Im running it with 2 plugs I did not bridge it. Are you firing into a confined space or open????
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

as for the free air/box deal... think of it this way..(yes way over simplified). you have your impellor on your boat, its designed to push a certain amount of water against a certain amount of resistance, if its worn, it doesnt work as well, without water it burns up...

the speaker is designed for a certain air resistance, if you have too little resistance, it woobles around and blows... to much resistance and it cant travel far enough and blows. so a free air sub will be a lot "stiffer" (cone and magnet)and require more power to work, one for a sealed box needs less power.

sheer power doesnt usually kill speakers, over excursion from improper resistance and distortion are what kill speaker.

your other 2 problems, clipping and shut off are a bit different. clipping comes from not enough "head room" an 7' tall guy gets clipped when he tries to walk thru a 6' door. as the volume goes up it gets taller so you need to adjust it so it the signal isnt too tall for the door. as for the amp cutting out completely, that is usually from an overheat situation. not enough power, not enough gound or not enough ventilation or the wrong impedence. impedence can be related to boats to, at 8 ohm speacker load your motor is pushing an 8k lb boat, at 4 ohm, same motor, 4k lb boat...boat is faster, but if you speaker ohm load is to low for the amp, its like going airborn and not backing off the throttle, zing, bang.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Thunder, does it thump? You are running free air no box???

the spec's say 300watts/900 watts so I can turn the gain down and or leave the volume down.I guess the best is turn down the gain on the amp and be able to run the mids higher.They dont distort.

I got this right audio techs??
Mine sounds freakin awesome! I also have the pdx 150 x 4 driving the mids and highs. Mine are under the backseat. I have approximately 10 cubic feet. Its not totally airtight....but not free air either. Since that is a mono amp....there is nothing to bridge. Thats why you dont use the + on one output and the minus on the other. I have the gain turned up pretty high on both of mine. I have the 1000 hooked to the sub output on the radio and I keep the sub gain on the radio turned way down.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered

Talking

The amps have a blue indicator light,they dont shut off ever or blink or dim. The bass just drops out and the only way to get it back again is by shutting off the amp,radio and turning it back on.

I have the gain up at 80% and my radio allows me to go + or _ on the subs,mids,and frequency ect

I have some heavy cable running both ground and leads and it seems the amp is not shutting off.WTF ???
Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Turn the gain down to the 50% mark. I'm betting the subs simply can't handle the power. They are rated for a max of 300watts rms and 900watts peak.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Registered

Talking

They are in the access entries to the sponsons and out of the weather.I wonder if I should of bought car subs with more wattage those were 200 apiece !

Will turn down the sub amp and call it a day thanks for the advice !
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I got mine new off ebay for $235 for a pair to my door. Looks like they are about the same still on ebay.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Keep in mind, they are only 10's and not even close to a competition grade sub that can handle that much power. I believe they are rated pretty close to what they can handle.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

I hate to tell you this but I just went through this...it has more to do with your sub set-up than you think.I had my 10" Alpine mounted in the side wall of my cockpit.The Alpine 10" is a multi-enclosure sub.Very popular sub for free-air or so I thought.It caused my amp to clip something fierce.I took the sub out and moved it to a storage locker that was semi-sealed.I took the door off the locker and put a plate of starboard and mounted the sub where the door was....worlds of difference.

Do what you can to make yourself a sealed or vented enclosure.You'll never get the bass you want from a free-air.

Lets just get this out in the open...free-air is a bad idea that works Ho-Hum at best.Yes, it will have bass but the headroom is very low and it causes other issues.

I would not blame the sub.For you guys that remember the original Type-R subs?..well that is what the marine 10" is.It is one of the upper end marine subs for sure.it is just a 10" and is only rated at 300w but check out what the others are rated at and you will see what I am getting at.

I took
I run two sets of PG RSD 6" components and the Alpine marine 10" off an Eclipse 5-ch XA5000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.